Notices

Fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fog lights?

SO! I have a '15 Outlander Sport, and I was told that the fog lights were pre-wired, all I had to do was plug them in. Well, there is some truth to this. There is a wire harness behind the front bumper. However, the dealership failed to mention that I needed a subharness to connect the lights to the harness behind the bumper. Hard as I try, I cannot find this sub harness anywhere! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find it, or how to wire these things up? I have the switch mounted to my steering column already. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
MITSIBUSHU (Jan 12, 2024)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by myersOS16
SO! I have a '15 Outlander Sport, and I was told that the fog lights were pre-wired, all I had to do was plug them in. Well, there is some truth to this. There is a wire harness behind the front bumper. However, the dealership failed to mention that I needed a subharness to connect the lights to the harness behind the bumper. Hard as I try, I cannot find this sub harness anywhere! Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find it, or how to wire these things up? I have the switch mounted to my steering column already. Thanks!
Here are some diagrams from the service manual to assist you what to look for and how to wire if you want to go with the factory specs. You should opt for the vehicle without daytime running light if your fog light has only one bulb per fixture. Check whether the relay is in place or you should purchase one.
Finally, I suspect the ETACS should be programmed to enable the power delivery to the harness. If you want to operate the fog light independently of low beam, you should definitely reprogram (or have it reprogrammed) the ETACS. Again, these are for the factory-like connection. You may opt for a custom wiring what many people did to avoid the ETACS programming step. I have a factory fog light, so I cannot share my experience in installation but I would like to help with information. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights?-fog_light-circuit.jpg   Fog lights?-fog_light_wiring.jpg   Fog lights?-fog_light_relay.jpg  
Old Feb 9, 2017, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
To put it simple. If you buy the oem fog lights they come with the sub harness that plugs into the harness that is behind the bumper. And from there you would have to a activate then through the etacs ecu. But I have a step by step process that you can do so you don't have to go through the dealer, to put it simple it invloves sequences where you open the door etx
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Makes me glad i got fog lights.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
I looked into this when we got our OS. I ended up just getting some small off-road fog lights and made brackets for them and ran wiring through the fire wall to an auxiliary switch.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
To put it simple. If you buy the oem fog lights they come with the sub harness that plugs into the harness that is behind the bumper. And from there you would have to a activate then through the etacs ecu. But I have a step by step process that you can do so you don't have to go through the dealer, to put it simple it invloves sequences where you open the door etx
Hello first time posting.. looking to get my first ever Mitsubishi...

17's any different from what you guys have? I was thinking putting factory fog lights also...

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a different perspective. Many automakers started to delete fog lights. For example, the old Audi Q3 had and the new does not have fog lights.
Mercedes GLA 250 base model has fog lights but the sport package does not have.
The previous Audi Q7 had the same distinction and the new model does not even have fog lights (some packages appear to have but they are not glass but rather part of the driver assistance package).
For further examples see post #14 below:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...og-lights.html
My car is equipped with fog lights but I only had to turn them on once or twice a year in the past 4.5 years. I had to put a protective metal mesh to prevent the lens from breaking due to stone chip hits. Many fellow forum members had complained about the cost of replacement of fog lights due to the same issue:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...se-awd-13.html Post #186
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...k-one-eye.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ou...placement.html
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights?-audi_q3_old.jpg   Fog lights?-audi_q3_new.jpg   Fog lights?-mb_gla_250_base.jpg   Fog lights?-mb_gla_250_sport-package.jpg   Fog lights?-audi-q7_old.jpg  

Fog lights?-audi_q7_old-sport-package.jpg   Fog lights?-audi_q7_new.jpg  
Old May 18, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

FOG LIGHT combined with DRL

Here is the combined DRL/FOG light house. One can clearly see the two bulb accommodation. Such assembly is provided for the Canadian GT models (with HID headlights) to avoid flickering problems when DRLs are turned on.
See the DRLs only in such arrangement in the first few seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ICb6Slgtw

The lower trim ES and SE models (in Canada) use halogen bulbs and the DRL is emitted from the same H11 bulb that is modulated to achieve lower intensity when only DLRs are on. The GT model uses independent DRL from a separate bulb placed in the fog light assembly.
This alternative could be interesting to those,
1. who wish to install HID/LED headlights to lower trim models and need or want DRL as well,
2. who want to have light emitted from their fog light houses and still stay legal.

Sadly, there is no cheap source (to my knowledge) for this fog light assembly.
https://www.mitsubishipartscentral.c...fog-lamps-scat

I would be interested to install HID or LED headlight bulbs and reprogram the ETACS to have "independent" DRL if these were available in a decent price. The other options that still use the same bulb for low beams and DRLs are corner cuttings and shorten the lifetime of the HID or LED bulbs (been there done that).
US forum members with earlier SE models might want to check whether you have the simpler or the combined fog light assembly. You might be able to have legally light emitted from your fog light house all the time.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights?-drl_fog_lamp_front-mitsuishi_rvr_gt.jpg   Fog lights?-drl_fog_lamp_rear__mitsuishi_rvr_gt.jpg  

Last edited by AWCAWD; May 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Dec 31, 2018, 09:28 PM

Installing fog lights

can you tell me please the step by step process in which you mentioned here. To activate them
Old Jan 1, 2019, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Attached

attached
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Nast_Nas:
inuvik (Jun 30, 2019), SoCalSHO (May 4, 2020)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:18 AM

attached
thanks
hope this method works in a 2015 Mitsubishi outlander sport. It has the switch for fog lights in the left side of the steering
Old Jan 2, 2019, 08:01 PM

yes, and its easy.

Originally Posted by myersOS16
So yes, the harness runs right up under the front bumper.

Luckily, you do not even need to remove the front bumper.

You need to remove all the black rubber on the top, and then pry open the fog light assembly (the whole black part will pop off).

Then you link the subharness up by snaking it into bumper and screw in the factory fog lights.

You can buy the factory fog lights with the subharness installation kit and the control stalk from the dealership, I think I paid around $210 for it and it took about 1.5 hours to install start to finish for me.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:05 PM

I bought what appear to be OEM fog lights from Amazon and wired them myself to a rocker switch inside the vehicle.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 02:57 PM

Hello, I have OS 2015 ES mine does not came with fog light, I'm very interested buying the kit, do I have to buy the fog light cap, or just the fog light itself with the harness? Have to say that the car already have the fog light cap but doesn't have the holes to the light.

Sorry for my English, is not my native language
Old Jul 26, 2019, 03:41 PM

Did someone find the harneses in the back to the bomper, I found a conecctor with 6 pins, 2 have voltage in the center and when I active fog light with switch in none more pin appears voltaje, I´m not sure if that is the correct connector, on board I can see the indicartor light on, please help,