Notices

Gatsby's 2016 Outlander SEL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
House mods will always pay off.
As far as more pep, the pulley really helps the 1st to 2nd "lag" and initial get up and go. I'm a bit heavy footed, so I really enjoy the extra power with the pulley and the timing controller. V6 power without the 4+ G's in expense. TOTALLY worth it.
My wife has the CURT hitch on hers, super easy install.

I recommend the hood protector since the paint on the Big O is a bit thin. My hood started pitting/chipping to the point the dealer said they would redo it. The wifes 14 doesn't have it and it's paint is still perfect. lol

As far as MPG's go, I'm pulling 29-30+ when running 75mph. 32-33 at the 55-60mph. So I think the power add ons are also helping the mpg's. The pulley is lighter so it reduces the stress on the crank rotating mass. That in turn frees up some power, makes it more efficient. (but I'm sure if you're on a forum you already know that.)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krakker
Nice upgrade.
You'd be very surprised how much the aluminum pulley and timing controller from RRM wake up that 2.4. Guy at work as a lancer, and he can't keep up or gets lost on the interstate.
There is a bit more body roll that I like, but I fabbed a solid strut bar and it's really helped.
Only complaint I have about the Big O, is the visors don't give enough coverage down the side of the windows. They need an extender.
I don't mean to tag on to this post, but what brand of aluminum pulley and timing controller did you use? Bought my OS a little over a month ago, and still getting the gas mileage (including average) between 19-22. What strut bar did you use as well? I have seen people go with an Ebay one for $30 that is just as good as more expensive ones, in some other user's opinions. I am itching to start working and get my hands dirty on the Outlander!

Going to be changing the oil and air filter this weekend and checking the spark plugs as well. Just trying to start learning the Outlander inside and out as I am switching from the Jeep community.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krakker
Nice upgrade.
You'd be very surprised how much the aluminum pulley and timing controller from RRM wake up that 2.4. Guy at work as a lancer, and he can't keep up or gets lost on the interstate.
There is a bit more body roll that I like, but I fabbed a solid strut bar and it's really helped.
Only complaint I have about the Big O, is the visors don't give enough coverage down the side of the windows. They need an extender.
I don't mean to ask my own questions in your post, but what aluminum pulley, timing controller and strut bar did you use? I am unfortunately still getting between the 19-22 mpg range. Planning to change the oil and filters this weekend, and check the spark plugs. Just picked my 14 OS up a little over a month ago.
I know some users mentioned about the $30 eBay strut bar being just as good as a more pricier one - all of the mods and Outlander specs in general are new to me.

I am new and just starting to learn about the Outlander world as I am switching from the Jeep world, so thank you in advance!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatsby
It's actually just shy of a normal 10'x10' kitchen. The bases of the cabinets are un-assembled, it was much cheaper that way. But, I can't wait to get rid of my salmon colored countertops Got to start putting everything together in my basement so it's slightly easier to install.

i also had salmon colored countertops when i moved in my house - got new cabs and granite ASAP.

Lowe's actually had some nice light-colored maple off-the-shelf cabinets at the time, but when i was ready to purchase, they no longer carried them.

girl that worked there designed my kitchen layout on the computer with custom cabinets, and it turned out to be about the same price if i would have tried to cobble together the off-the-shelf ones.

good luck with your project.
Old May 4, 2017, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

my Mom may be looking into the big Outlander - did you drive a GT vs the 4 cyl?

dealer says not much difference, but that's probably because he has no GT's in stock.

curious what the difference in driving was like ....
Old May 4, 2017, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did actually. I had a GT for about a week for test driving, even went camping with it, lol. I enjoyed the GT, but overall preferred the mpg of the 4 cyl.

The 4 cyl really isn't all that bad in get up and go, and if you really feel the need to get up to speed quickly, turn off eco and push it over into 'Ds' on the shifter.

The main concern I had over the GT is it seemed confused. By this I mean I felt the automatic trans that it was paired with just didn't know what to do most of the time. If I had cruise control on, it seemed to excessively down shift when it only needed to speed up like 2-3 mph. It always felt like when you accidentally hit resume on your cruise control when you're driving through town, and the car gets ready to take off (and in the jerky way, not in the sports car good way). My opinion could be slightly harsh on the trans just because I did have a CVT in an OS for 2.5 years beforehand, but when I drive friends cars, they're just not that harsh on the up and down shifting.

You can get just about every option on both trim levels I believe (SEL and GT), the only difference to my knowledge is the GT has the dual LED headlights, which does look fancy, lol. If I were you, I'd drive an hour or so to test out the 6cyl. You don't want to get the 4cyl and want more power, and you don't want to get the 6cyl and it be annoying.

Also, is towing capacity a concern? 4cyl only can do 1500, vs GT which can do.... 3000? *I think* I'm really not sure on the GT towing capacity (not that it's really that high, lol)
Old May 4, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

I did actually. I had a GT for about a week for test driving, even went camping with it, lol. I enjoyed the GT, but overall preferred the mpg of the 4 cyl.

The 4 cyl really isn't all that bad in get up and go, and if you really feel the need to get up to speed quickly, turn off eco and push it over into 'Ds' on the shifter.

The main concern I had over the GT is it seemed confused. By this I mean I felt the automatic trans that it was paired with just didn't know what to do most of the time. If I had cruise control on, it seemed to excessively down shift when it only needed to speed up like 2-3 mph. It always felt like when you accidentally hit resume on your cruise control when you're driving through town, and the car gets ready to take off (and in the jerky way, not in the sports car good way). My opinion could be slightly harsh on the trans just because I did have a CVT in an OS for 2.5 years beforehand, but when I drive friends cars, they're just not that harsh on the up and down shifting.

You can get just about every option on both trim levels I believe (SEL and GT), the only difference to my knowledge is the GT has the dual LED headlights, which does look fancy, lol. If I were you, I'd drive an hour or so to test out the 6cyl. You don't want to get the 4cyl and want more power, and you don't want to get the 6cyl and it be annoying.

Also, is towing capacity a concern? 4cyl only can do 1500, vs GT which can do.... 3000? *I think* I'm really not sure on the GT towing capacity (not that it's really that high, lol)

thanks. no towing. GT has CVT or a traditional automatic? i assumed CVT ...

my Mom has a Honda Pilot and a Mercedes SLK now, and is kinda used to some power. i'll keep an eye out for the wonky shifting on the GT ... if they ever get one in stock ...
Old May 6, 2017, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

GT has a traditional automatic
Old May 7, 2017, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

GT has a traditional automatic
yeah, i read up on them a little. she likes the SEL - checked them out at the dealer, but didn't have time to test drive one - she'll go back soon for that ...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

So a little update. Ever since buying this, I had intermittent issues with the bluetooth just disappearing from my radio. It would be hooked up via Bluetooth to either a Samsung Galaxy S7, Oppo Find 7a, or an iPhone 7 Plus (all with the same issues).

We'd be streaming music, and the radio would just lock up it would seem. The music would stop. When looking at the phone it would think it was still connected. But when looking at the radio, Bluetooth basically vanished. The home screen button for Bluetooth would be gone. Even in the settings menu, Bluetooth would no longer show up. The touch screen and physical buttons would mostly still respond, ex. the screen would change, but nothing else would function. No button sounds, no music, volume control could not be turned up or turned down. Couldn't power cycle the radio either during this. Basically the only fix was powering the entire vehicle off and turning it back on.

Few months back the dealership got Mitsubishi to authorize a head unit replacement for the issue. Seemed like it fixed it.... Guess what issue is back again! It seems like such a strange issue to be happening again, and the only thing I can think of is either a wiring issue or the Bluetooth module is faulty to some extent. Whatever the case may be, I called the dealership yesterday and they suggested I call back today to talk to the manager directly. So, fingers crossed they can actually fix whatever this strange problem is?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

So a little update. Ever since buying this, I had intermittent issues with the bluetooth just disappearing from my radio. It would be hooked up via Bluetooth to either a Samsung Galaxy S7, Oppo Find 7a, or an iPhone 7 Plus (all with the same issues).

We'd be streaming music, and the radio would just lock up it would seem. The music would stop. When looking at the phone it would think it was still connected. But when looking at the radio, Bluetooth basically vanished. The home screen button for Bluetooth would be gone. Even in the settings menu, Bluetooth would no longer show up. The touch screen and physical buttons would mostly still respond, ex. the screen would change, but nothing else would function. No button sounds, no music, volume control could not be turned up or turned down. Couldn't power cycle the radio either during this. Basically the only fix was powering the entire vehicle off and turning it back on.

Few months back the dealership got Mitsubishi to authorize a head unit replacement for the issue. Seemed like it fixed it.... Guess what issue is back again! It seems like such a strange issue to be happening again, and the only thing I can think of is either a wiring issue or the Bluetooth module is faulty to some extent. Whatever the case may be, I called the dealership yesterday and they suggested I call back today to talk to the manager directly. So, fingers crossed they can actually fix whatever this strange problem is?

i wonder if they would upgrade you to the Carplay/Android Auto HU?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
i wonder if they would upgrade you to the Carplay/Android Auto HU?
I highly doubt it, I wish though, lol.

So, the dealership has had the car for approx. 10 days now, and they're clueless. Essentially, when I explain the problem to the Service Manager, he thinks it's a problem with whichever app I'm using on my phone to stream music (ex. Pandora, etc.) although it totally locks up the entire head unit...

After trying to go more in depth with explaining the issue, along with offering to show pictures of the head unit without Bluetooth on the menu at all, and even a video of what the radio behaves like after the issue occurs... basically nothing. The manager didn't want to see any of those and just said pick up your car.

When I dropped if off, I asked for the radio to be fixed/replaced/whatever, tires rotated, and a scratch buffed out from under the driver's window that had been there since day 1 when I bought the car (they kept conveniently forgetting to buff this scratch out every time I've been there). Called yesterday, and the scratch still hadn't been buffed out... supposed to leave work early today to go get this darn thing.

So I can basically tell anyone looking to buy a Mitsubishi in the state of Missouri who not to go to We'll see how it goes when I talk to both managers at the same time in person when I pick up my car... lol
Old Jul 11, 2017, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Ha. Ha. So funny story.

The service manager "gave up" on my car, and the sales manager is escalating it to their Mitsubishi Representative, I told him it's their last ditch effort to bring this situation back from catastrophe.

That scratch that was supposed to be buffed out; well, now my entire car is covered in buff marks, the scratch is still there, and there are 3-4 new scratches. So, yup... that happened. Still waiting on them to find out how they're going to fix it.

Fun times...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

That scratch that was supposed to be buffed out; well, now my entire car is covered in buff marks, the scratch is still there, and there are 3-4 new scratches.

i'm sure they'd do a great job on repainting it.

that sucks, good luck ...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Ha. Ha. So funny story.

The service manager "gave up" on my car, and the sales manager is escalating it to their Mitsubishi Representative, I told him it's their last ditch effort to bring this situation back from catastrophe.

That scratch that was supposed to be buffed out; well, now my entire car is covered in buff marks, the scratch is still there, and there are 3-4 new scratches. So, yup... that happened. Still waiting on them to find out how they're going to fix it.

Fun times...
How is THAT even possible?

Buddy!
man, you're having a really tough time with your dealership.. Are they under-educated? It's not even funny anymore.
> Sounds like they got the greenest/lowest car wash guy at the lot and handed him a buffer, then told him to "gitta buffin' "...

You're probably safer just plastidipping your car yourself at this point.

Quick Reply: Gatsby's 2016 Outlander SEL