Notices

A/C condenser

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
A/C condenser

I need to replace my A/C condenser after hitting a deer. It did leak a little oil so I am not sure if it is 100% unpressurized. After I replace it, should I just take it to a dealer and have them re-fill and bleed it? Ive never really worked with A/C stuff but need to do this on a budget. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
So, at the moment I would advise you not to use the A/C because the coolant is also the lubricant for the compressor... there's a chance you could burn out that unit if the coolant is low enough from that leak.

At this point you need to find out how much coolant is left in the system, and unfortunately I believe the dealership is most likely the "best" place to diagnose that.. Unless there's a local mechanic that you know/trust in what they're doing with A/C systems.

Don't just simply use those generic A/C refrigerant recharge kits... you may end up overcharging the system and cause bigger headache$$$ down the road.

Side Note-
Do Not use/activate the window defrost function, it automatically starts the A/C too. Just a heads up.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

I have a neighbor who was a car mechanic at a dealer for almost 17 years and got some good info from him. At this point the A/C system is de-flated if you will from the accident. I will double check one of the schrader valves to be sure. After the new condenser is installed I am going to just take it to the Mitsu dealer or somewhere local to have them refill and bleed the refrigerant. I just don't wanna mess with it. We are in Phoenix for a few weeks so I need this done ASAP as it's hotter then hell here
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Dude, I can Only imagine how blazing toasty it is out there!!
Okay, best of luck and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Hamman (Apr 28, 2018)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to update this thread! The condenser install and A/C have all been replaced and refilled now for a while. I went to a place here in Phoenix that pressure tested the system and filled with new freon. You really take A/C in your car for granted...especially when it is a nice and mild 115 outside...........NOT.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my whole AC crapped out 2 weeks ago... 100 in the shade here ugh, I had it all replaced... was cringing the price was steep! Just mitsu parts alone were $870.00, compressor, condenser, dryer, fluids, Freon ect. and then there was labor, but hey I have AC again, lol.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, I feel like a cheap a$$. Haha, I ordered the parts off amazon. I got a new condenser and radiator for less then 200$. I am not sure how long it'll last but time will tell! Luckily, when I am back in WA I won't really need the AC much, just heat
Old Jun 14, 2018, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamman
Wow, I feel like a cheap a$$. Haha, I ordered the parts off amazon. I got a new condenser and radiator for less then 200$. I am not sure how long it'll last but time will tell! Luckily, when I am back in WA I won't really need the AC much, just heat
It will likely last a long time.

The solid state AC parts don't usually fail regardless of what brand they come from. It's the compressor that gets tired. When I pulled the AC mix box to fix my stuck heater knob, I replaced the dryer with an off brand unit (20 or 30 bucks) before having my ac vacuumed and refilled. Saved a lot of money and it still works to this day in the Socal heat.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet, that is good to hear. So far all is kicking a$$ here in Phoenix.