Notices

2012 RVR SE awd sound system replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 RVR SE awd sound system replacement

Hey everyone
lurked here for a bit doing some research etc for my new car.

I have the 2012 RVR (OS) SE, with no Nav or RF sound system. Just plain stock stereo. Anyhow, if I turn it up to good "Black Sabbath" listening levels it starts distorting pretty badly, especially if I have the bass up over 2. I'm not talking ear destroying levels here, just "loud".

So I thought to replace the speakers but the speaker guy at Crutchfield had a good point in that it may actually be the radio itself distorting cause it lacks power. I see the OEM radio is rated at 140 watts. I am assuming that is peak if the sound is distorting so quickly.

I'm new to car audio stuff so I thought I'd ask here from people who own this vehicle. What is a good, basic upgrade I can do, whether it be radio or speakers, that won't blow my bank account apart, to just get some decent sound out of this, while still keeping the OEM functions (steering wheel controls, USB port in the console, etc)?

I listen to mostly classic rock/heavy metal and punk rock. I'm not wanting to shake anyone's house or anything, but I do like some impact from my tunes without fart noises I usually leave the treble alone and put the bass up to where it has some punch but not rattling the windows. For reference, I had a 2002 Ford Escape previously with the "MACH" sound system and I thought that was great. http://hillerford.com/v2/resource_library/2002/2002suv/2002escape/2002escapeaudio.html

I know I probably won't get that out of this car but anything is better than what it has now! Should I go to the wreckers and see if I can salvage a RF system out of a trashed RVR (if I can find one)?

Anyways, other than the sound system the car is great.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by csand; May 28, 2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 05:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just wanted to shout out & say welcome aboard & thanks for posting up

Not a very good car radio guy. I own a 2006 EvO RS w/a solid 2 speaker sound system

Although I would recommend playing some "Tool" over the "Black Sabath"
Old May 28, 2018, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The stock head unit sounds horrible and replacing all the speakers does not solve that problem, that's what I tired first. Once I replaced the headunit, everything sounded much better.
I would recommend getting an aftermarket system from Crutchfield, you will be more up to date and can sound better then the RF system. A $200 Pioneer head unit on Crutchfield and it will give you the latest features plus the opportunity to add more (like reverse camera) for cheaper and quicker down the line. When you add a headunit to your cart on Crutchfield, you can add the full install kit which is everything you need to install yourself including retaining steering wheel controls. It does not retain the USB plug in the console, but you can add a USB plug for the headunit anywhere you want with the PAC USBDMA6 also on Crutchfield.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna take your advice Alexman and grab a new head unit.

And, there's room in my car for Tool and Sabbath
Old Jun 9, 2018, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i don't have an Evo anymore, and the wife's OS has the Rockford Fosgate system (she listens to AM talk radio ), but the best bang for the buck would be to do the headunit and get a powered sub.
current car is an Infiniti G37, and i can't even replace the headunit without major surgery and $$$. i did add a powered sub (and Viper4Android app on my phone helps with EQ correction), and that fixes the audio enough for me on the factory Bose system.

based on your music preference, i'd recommend a sealed enclosure powered sub. i listen to metal/thrash, so i like the bass tight and accurate - sealed will do that, ported and bandpass enclosures will be more boomy and farty.

i like Tool, but Sabbath > Tool.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Im in this boat too. My wife and I both like loud music Let us know what unit you end up with? I haven't done much research yet but am looking to upgrade this soon. Would like to add a reverse camera down the road as well!