Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Seattle, WA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle, WA

Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new Evo 9 owner. I recently had a bit of an accident with my Evo and I'm looking for a little guidance / hoping to chat with a more senior member.

I'd greatly appreciate it if some kind hearted members in WA dropped me a note.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throw out your question and I'm sure all of us wouldn't mind helping you out. There are a lot of nice people here with a ton of knowledge.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:22 AM

Cool thanks for the warm welcome. I spun out on the highway into a ditch (it was raining really hard for the first time in a few weeks and I think I hit an oil patch, my tires also need replacing). The front lip got ripped off, the side for dented, the bottom cover is gone, and there are some cosmetic damages to the rear bumper.

As far as my options go, what do you think are my best bets for replacing the lip and cover and potentially the rear bumper. Is it best to order the oem parts from the dealer? For my body damage I read belkirk body shop is the way to go. Is there a better place for the replacement parts?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
unless you get lucky and find the parts for sale, the dealer is really your only option. there are rear bumpers on craigslist but front ones are very rare to find
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran into the same problem, literally, but luckily I only ripped off the bottom tray and cracked the front bumper. The intercooler was slightly dented but still functioned (i ended up replacing it 2 years later though).

I agree with ||Demon|| in that it is near impossible to find a used bumper, front or back. It ended up being about $1000 for the bumper and undertray installed from the dealership. You could look into a JDM bumper and aftermarket side skirts. There might even be an aftermarket lip, but I'm ignorant when it comes to aftermarket cosmetics.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_FanBoy
Cool thanks for the warm welcome. I spun out on the highway into a ditch (it was raining really hard for the first time in a few weeks and I think I hit an oil patch, my tires also need replacing). The front lip got ripped off, the side for dented, the bottom cover is gone, and there are some cosmetic damages to the rear bumper.

As far as my options go, what do you think are my best bets for replacing the lip and cover and potentially the rear bumper. Is it best to order the oem parts from the dealer? For my body damage I read belkirk body shop is the way to go. Is there a better place for the replacement parts?
Easy answer: Take your car to Bel-Kirk and have them deal directly with your insurance to get everything fixed good as new.

Not so easy answer: Take your car to get a detailed estimate for the repairs. Price out all the parts from Mitsubishiparts.net. Get check from your insurance. Get new parts painted at Belk-Kirk as needed. Put things back together yourself. Pocket the difference.

P.S. I recommend taking the easy route unless you are pretty savvy about car stuff.

Last edited by nemsin; Oct 17, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Easy answer: Take your car to Bel-Kirk and have them deal directly with your insurance to get everything fixed good as new.

Not so easy answer: Take your car to get a detailed estimate for the repairs. Price out all the parts from Mitsubishiparts.net. Get check from your insurance. Get new parts painted at Belk-Kirk as needed. Put things back together yourself. Pocket the difference.

P.S. I recommend taking the easy route unless you are pretty savvy about car stuff.
This.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I was stupid and arrogant and did not get collision insurance (got comprehensive instead). Mitsubishiparts seems to be pretty incomplete in there selection, the front lip is sold out.

I had the car towed to a local Midas in Bellingham after the incident just to have them check if is safe to drive back to Seattle. Far from ideal but my options are limited. The check engine light was on fire to the "crank shaft sensor" and also a "brake/stop". The numbers they gave me for these codes were just 22 and 23 which don't seem to match up to the formats I researched here. They found a rock between my brakes and rotor which might explain the latter code. Instead of having these guys try to research the crank shaft one I plan on just driving it to the dealer on Saturday to have them diagnose it.

Do you Seattlelites have a preference for the dealers in the area? I've been going to younker
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Younker isn't bad but there are shops that are more north. you can go to Ishii, Boss, Ofacegrimmins' shop (forget the name)

If you need parts, send RussellM a PM telling him what all you need (he runs mitsubishiparts) and he can give you exact prices and part numbers to order
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

i just did my crank angle sensor give me a pm about any questions
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:00 PM

Got pics of the damage?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 PM

Thanks guys. The crank angle sensor code hasn't shown up since it first got wiped, and it seems to drive fine (drove it back to Seattle and haven't touched it). I'm guessing it just got triggered as the car was violently spinning?

Do you just want pics to see how much the body repair would be? Also, has anyone tried H&I Automotive
in Seattle?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalmellinium
Got pics of the damage?
talk to this guy about body work (Bel-Kirk) before you go elsewhere
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 PM

Yes sir i can give you a ball park price!

Originally Posted by Evo_FanBoy
Thanks guys. The crank angle sensor code hasn't shown up since it first got wiped, and it seems to drive fine (drove it back to Seattle and haven't touched it). I'm guessing it just got triggered as the car was violently spinning?

Do you just want pics to see how much the body repair would be? Also, has anyone tried H&I Automotive
in Seattle?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:17 AM

Cool I'll pm them to you shortly