Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

help needed in spokane wa.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help needed in spokane wa.

Hey I'm new to evos and I need help getting my clutch changed. For some.reason the tob will not let go if there is.anyone near please help me. I have access to a heated shop and ill pay you if u help me get it out. Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you on NW EVO Facebook group? I know there are a few members on there that are out in that area.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/northwest-region/594454-nwevo-facebook-page.html
Old Dec 21, 2013, 07:00 PM

sure aint but will be lookin it up now.lol
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:32 AM

I know of a couple people up there. I will see if i can get ahold of either of them for you.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:45 PM

thanks id appreciate it. I don't want to drop the 2020 to get the clutch changed.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:23 PM

I know when we pulled the trans on mine few weeks ago the wave collar wouldn't disengage, had a hell of a time getting it off.

I'll bet the same thing is going on with yours.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, your about a week too late. I was over at Fairchild AFB for about a month. I would have been happy to help. Here is a quick tip though, make sure you have a good flat tip screwdriver and that your inserting it in the correct spot. Between the wave ring collar and the TOB. Once you have it in there and turned 180 degrees give the release fork a good shove in towards the engine. Sometime you may need to rotate the the motor so you can give it a pry on both side of the ring. Sometimes it's a pain,but you will get it released with a little patience. Good luck!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Many times I cursed while laying under that #$(%ing inspection hole and jiggled the #$%ing flat-head screwdriver... damnit that brought back memories... :}
Old Dec 23, 2013, 04:55 PM

ive been under mine for 3 weeks every weekend. lol I want to drive the damn thing now.
the problem im seeing is that the tob doesn't get close enough to the pressure plate to get it right. I also used a pry bar on it so its really really stuck.lol
Old Dec 23, 2013, 05:03 PM

sr20det91 u drive that white one that was parked at the inn? cause mine is the red one that was parked at the shop.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I didn't have the EVO with me when I was out there. I was doing some SERE training so I had flown out from DC. If you can't get it to release your only other option is to get a flexible extension and unbolt the pressure plate through the access hole. It's a pain in the ***, but possible.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

so far I've only done one that wasn't a huge pita! but a less preferred method which I did on my stock clutch was a chisel punch where you would put the screwdriver, a socket on the end of the punch, and a LONG pipe for leverage.

you'll end up breaking the waveclip (which is easier said than done) but after busted knuckles, blood sweat and almost tears, it was worth it haha
Old Dec 24, 2013, 01:31 PM

yea some one told me to do that too. is it easier if I take off the shield cause I don't even see any of the bolts. and some one told me that they used an air hammer and beat the bearing until it let go.lol but I can break that wave clip? cause that's prob the easiest thing right now.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmiller10
yea some one told me to do that too. is it easier if I take off the shield cause I don't even see any of the bolts. and some one told me that they used an air hammer and beat the bearing until it let go.lol but I can break that wave clip? cause that's prob the easiest thing right now.
by shield do you mean starter plate? or the small shield on the bottom. you can't get the starter plate off and removing that shield won't show you anything but the flywheel.

I would strongly disagree with the air hammer method because that would put an ungodly amount of direct vertical pressure on your input shaft. when using the chisel and lever you're utilizing the same concept as the screwdriver only with more ****.

breaking that waveclip isn't easy but it's what I did and it only took about 15 minutes after trying to pop it via the preferred screwdriver method and rotatin the engine a million times. good luck!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:38 PM

is it just a matter of over powering it or is there a trick to breaking it too? cause its prob going to be what I have to do.lol

Quick Reply: help needed in spokane wa.