Notices
Pacific Northwest General areas surrounding Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Spokane, Yakima, Portland, Eugene, Bend, Medford

Air bag recall update

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Update: Dealer says aftermarket stuff would definitely add more time, keeping in mind I have a radio, gauges, alarm, & a radar detector. Having said that he had no problem with me pulling everything apart & then just letting them do the air bag swap & clearing my VIN in their system, so this is kind of where I'm leaning.

And just a heads up, when I talked about just swinging by so they could take a glance the woman who first answered the phone kind of let it slip that there was no way anyone would have the time as they are double & even sometimes triple booked because of the recall, so more good news.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Looking at that diagram I definitely don't want them in there. With all the gauges and aftermarket head unit...yeah not happening. Gotta see if I can just get them to give me the part and call it good.
not likely, unless you have an extremely good rapport with your dealer and they know you are capable of taking care of this, and take care of it quickly. Ultimately they don't want to be responsible for "marking an owner off" as recall completed, have the owner lag at making the change, or just sell the part, and then the owner gets in an accident and blames Too much risk for them. They don't want to be the next GM, Honda, Toyota, etc. in the recall boob wars (that and they really couldn't afford to be).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by yahu
not likely, unless you have an extremely good rapport with your dealer and they know you are capable of taking care of this, and take care of it quickly. Ultimately they don't want to be responsible for "marking an owner off" as recall completed, have the owner lag at making the change, or just sell the part, and then the owner gets in an accident and blames Too much risk for them. They don't want to be the next GM, Honda, Toyota, etc. in the recall boob wars (that and they really couldn't afford to be).
Well I wouldn't do the work my shop would. That being said from a legal point of view that is easily solvable by having a waiver which you have the owner sign and which absolves them from any damages. Tag the VIN for this one as "done by current owner" and you are good to go.

They've done worse in the past. The 2005's and below didn't come with an airbag warning sticker under the hood. They later sent that sticker to owners and told them to apply that under the hood. It would have been very easy to just not apply that sticker, claim you never picked it up, deliberately set off that airbag == lawsuit.

Either way they aren't going in there so the part is coming with me either for free or I will pay for it.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well I wouldn't do the work my shop would. That being said from a legal point of view that is easily solvable by having a waiver which you have the owner sign and which absolves them from any damages. Tag the VIN for this one as "done by current owner" and you are good to go.

They've done worse in the past. The 2005's and below didn't come with an airbag warning sticker under the hood. They later sent that sticker to owners and told them to apply that under the hood. It would have been very easy to just not apply that sticker, claim you never picked it up, deliberately set off that airbag == lawsuit.

Either way they aren't going in there so the part is coming with me either for free or I will pay for it.
I think the above pretty much sums up why someone would want to run this program correctly. In this litigious society there ain't no way I'd deal with waivers and whatnot. Granted, no one claims as overflowing with intelligence these days, so I suppose it'd be worth a shot.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had this done at Harris Mitsubishi last Friday. They were nice to work with but when I got my car back my dash CF trim has a big scratch in it (which you can tell they tried to buff out but couldn't) and my steering wheel has a bunch of gouges in the leather. Not happy. The recall sheet says 1.6 hours of tabor time but it took them over 4 hours to do mine. I didn't care about the time, I'm just stating...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I think the above pretty much sums up why someone would want to run this program correctly. In this litigious society there ain't no way I'd deal with waivers and whatnot. Granted, no one claims as overflowing with intelligence these days, so I suppose it'd be worth a shot.
Not really. A waiver once properly documented is legally binding and I'm saying that would need to come from Mitsubishi themselves not the dealer. The cost to try to take that waiver in and fight that against a large corporation relative to gains is pretty low. It's not the same as the sticker where they deliberately made a gross mistake in sending that sticker without legal binding.

Originally Posted by spdngdragon
Had this done at Harris Mitsubishi last Friday. They were nice to work with but when I got my car back my dash CF trim has a big scratch in it (which you can tell they tried to buff out but couldn't) and my steering wheel has a bunch of gouges in the leather. Not happy. The recall sheet says 1.6 hours of tabor time but it took them over 4 hours to do mine. I didn't care about the time, I'm just stating...
Yeah not feeling this at all.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
so pull the dash, trailer the car to the dealer, have the install the airbag, take the car home.

If you want them to touch the least amount of stuff then take everything out yourself. I don't blame them for not selling the part and letting people do it themselves
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Add me to the list that will never have this done because a dealer will never touch my car. Mitsu mechanics arent anything special, usually just some kids with a little wrenching skill but don't give a f*** about my car.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Not really. A waiver once properly documented is legally binding and I'm saying that would need to come from Mitsubishi themselves not the dealer. The cost to try to take that waiver in and fight that against a large corporation relative to gains is pretty low. It's not the same as the sticker where they deliberately made a gross mistake in sending that sticker without legal binding.
I'm not arguing legality of waiver vs mailed sticker. What I'm saying is why would an independent dealer care enough to manage something like this. They likely wouldn't. And if the dealer don't care enough you know mitsu cares even less. If you think they're going to manage anything at all at this point other than status quo (which in and of itself is slowly dying), you're kidding yourself.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not arguing legality of waiver vs mailed sticker. What I'm saying is why would an independent dealer care enough to manage something like this. They likely wouldn't. And if the dealer don't care enough you know mitsu cares even less.
I think we are talking past each other at this point. If this comes down from Mitsubishi the dealer has to follow the process. The recall isn't something the dealer wants to do or manage either but they have to do so. By your same logic they wouldn't be doing the recalls either since it's Mitsubishi corporate that would eat the lawsuit for those. So I'm not putting the emphasis on the dealer to make that call as I said in my last post. Moot at this point though.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

^yep - I'm actually saying Mitsu definitely don't care. If anything you might have luck with the dealer, but I doubt it (unless you have a good relationship with them, which I think I said at one point or another? could be fuzzy on that one as checking here once a week doesn't exactly keep it "fresh" heh).