EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums-257/)
-   -   CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in.. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/422782-cvn-tuners-feel-free-chime.html)

droppinbottom May 25, 2009 11:21 AM

I have a few questions and please don't take offense to these. They may just help me understand a few things.

Are you at a fairly young age?

Are you completly financially responsible for this transacton?

Is this your first performance vehicle and if not how long have you owned performance vehicles?

Do you do any work to your car?

Have you had a tuner explain to you what they are doing when tuning or do you even care what changes they are making? I ask this because I want to know what changes someone is making to my rom and I pay close attention to the time they spend with my car.

In the end I hope you are happy with your new car but what I truely don't understand is that you have posted in other places that you think there is something wrong with the 4b11 then why are you going back with another one especially one that you are already planning on modding and loosing the warranty a second time?

NyRsNy May 25, 2009 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7096975)
There is the slight possibilty that AMS put a stock rom in your ECU that has a different ID than your original one.

The Evo X came with the following ECU IDs in the US:

The majority of the Evo Xs that I have seen have the 52680017. Some have had the factory reflash done at the dealer and they get a sticker under the front passanger side of the hood with the 52680020 ECU ID.

It is possible that AMS flashed your car with the 52680020 rom but you did not have the sticker under the hood indicating that you have had that doen at the dealer. When the dealer read the ECU and found the 5268020 rom ID w/o a matching sticker they knew that your car has been flashed and voided your warranty.

That is one possibilty. Or there is indeed a flash counter in the ECU that tells the dealer how many times the ECU has been flashed.

wasnt it proven that there is no flash counter?

Yes there is no flash counter! The only thing i can think of is they bluffed or mitsu got confused/ forgot they re flashed it with their new map or ams made a bobo, its possible i know they made no mistake when it came to my ecu getting returned to the stock map.

nj1266 May 25, 2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by NyRsNy (Post 7097266)
Yes there is no flash counter! The only thing i can think of is they bluffed or mitsu got confused/ forgot they re flashed it with their new map or ams made a bobo, its possible i know they made no mistake when it came to my ecu getting returned to the stock map.

How do you know for certain that there is no flash counter? There are tables that have not been discovered yet. A flash counter could be one of them.

NyRsNy May 25, 2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7097339)
How do you know for certain that there is no flash counter? There are tables that have not been discovered yet. A flash counter could be one of them.

I have 1st hand experience on this matter. I had a Regional Rep tear through my ecu which was flashed by AMS same as the OP, but mine came up clean he wasn't so lucky.

nj1266 May 25, 2009 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by NyRsNy (Post 7097353)
I have 1st hand experience on this matter. I had a Regional Rep tear through my ecu which was flashed by AMS same as the OP, but mine came up clean he wasn't so lucky.

Good to know {thumbup}

That leaves two possibilities:

1. AMS flashed the ECU with the 020 rom id and the owner did not have the underhood sticker for that flash. When the dealership read the rom and found the "wrong" ID, they voided the warranty.

2. The dealership was bluffing and the owner of the car admitted to the car being flashed from stock and then back to stock.

AWDTerror May 25, 2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7097478)
Good to know {thumbup}

1. AMS flashed the ECU with the 020 rom id and the owner did not have the underhood sticker for that flash. When the dealership read the rom and found the "wrong" ID, they voided the warranty.

2. The dealership was bluffing and the owner of the car admitted to the car being flashed from stock and then back to stock.

I say a combination of both, that and the fact the owner probably caved when they said they weren't going to fix it. I believe that the dealership saw this guy coming a mile away, and saw him as one big dollar sign.

I highly doubt that your warranty is voided, they, based on your actions and what was seen or not seen, denied service, totally different from denying warranty.

I would have taken this past the dealership and the district rep on to Mitsubishi, and probably would have spoken to a lawyer....probably would be significantly cheaper than buying a new car.

burnmacs May 25, 2009 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7096975)
There is the slight possibilty that AMS put a stock rom in your ECU that has a different ID than your original one.

The Evo X came with the following ECU IDs in the US:

The majority of the Evo Xs that I have seen have the 52680017. Some have had the factory reflash done at the dealer and they get a sticker under the front passanger side of the hood with the 52680020 ECU ID.

It is possible that AMS flashed your car with the 52680020 rom but you did not have the sticker under the hood indicating that you have had that doen at the dealer. When the dealer read the ECU and found the 5268020 rom ID w/o a matching sticker they knew that your car has been flashed and voided your warranty.

That is one possibilty. Or there is indeed a flash counter in the ECU that tells the dealer how many times the ECU has been flashed.

How about someone with two copies of the same version ROM (that originated separately from different cars) just do a binary diff on the two and see what happens. On a Windows box you do that from the command prompt with "fc /B ROM1 ROM2" to see if there is any difference (e.g. checksum within ROM).

I'm not saying that would prove no counter or flashing countermeasure exists, just if CVN as per GM's implementation existed definitively.

gunzo May 25, 2009 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7097478)
Good to know {thumbup}

Just be aware .. not all ROM IDs are interchangeable ..

Most cars should have ID's 17 or 18 .. or older series 15 ..

ROM 20 it seems is used under certain conditions for certain cars .. I've gone thru it partially and it looked .. for lack of better words 'strange' .. I suggest not using that ROM id until more is known ..

There is an encrypted time counter not located on the ECU (I think) ..
CVN is just the checksum value .. when we were beta testing without knowing about the checksum.. once you changed anything, your ECU is locked out until you flash back to stock ..

Back to flash counter .. non of us dare to say there is NO COUNTER .. it doesn't matter what you use ( Ecutek, ECUFlash, AP, Stock etc) .. if there's a counter .. it'll change .. we're only lucky that mitsubishi have not use it yet ..

Subaru uses an encrypted serial number that is changed everytime you flash .. They now use that number to determine if your ECU has be reprogrammed .. same chipset as ours .. doesn't bode well ;)

nj1266 May 25, 2009 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by gunzo (Post 7098227)
Just be aware .. not all ROM IDs are interchangeable ..

Most cars should have ID's 17 or 18 .. or older series 15 ..

ROM 20 it seems is used under certain conditions for certain cars .. I've gone thru it partially and it looked .. for lack of better words 'strange' .. I suggest not using that ROM id until more is known ..

In the US the 20 ID is a factory re-flash to deal with some of the stutter that some Evos were having. I looked at the fuel map and found it to be slightly leaner up top than the 017 rom ID.

I keep the same rom ID when I tune an Evo X. If a car came with the 020 rom ID, then I will use the same rom ID to tune it. Most of the Evo Xs have the 017 rom ID. Yesterday I tuned the first Evo X that had the 018 rom ID.

ImsoevoX May 25, 2009 08:12 PM

Actually you guys just mentioned a point I knew nothing about. I do indeed have a sticker under the hood, and I didn't make mention of this to my tuner..had I shown him this I might have been able to get the right map..the dealer would not have known. I know for future reference.

gunzo May 25, 2009 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7098259)
In the US the 20 ID is a factory re-flash to deal with some of the stutter that some Evos were having. I looked at the fuel map and found it to be slightly leaner up top than the 017 rom ID.

I keep the same rom ID when I tune an Evo X. If a car came with the 020 rom ID, then I will use the same rom ID to tune it. Most of the Evo Xs have the 017 rom ID. Yesterday I tuned the first Evo X that had the 018 rom ID.

Sorry I don't mean different in that sense :p .. never bothered to look at the maps ..

The subroutines and function calls are slightly different .. mostly idle and fuel control outputs ..

ImsoevoX May 25, 2009 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by droppinbottom (Post 7097101)
I have a few questions and please don't take offense to these. They may just help me understand a few things.

Are you at a fairly young age?

Are you completly financially responsible for this transacton?

Is this your first performance vehicle and if not how long have you owned performance vehicles?

Do you do any work to your car?

Have you had a tuner explain to you what they are doing when tuning or do you even care what changes they are making? I ask this because I want to know what changes someone is making to my rom and I pay close attention to the time they spend with my car.

In the end I hope you are happy with your new car but what I truely don't understand is that you have posted in other places that you think there is something wrong with the 4b11 then why are you going back with another one especially one that you are already planning on modding and loosing the warranty a second time?

:lol: wow...
I would say that I'm a fairly young age..in my early 20's if that helps..

I do work on my vehicle, I installed all of my bolt-ons...I'm an operating engineer by trade..so I'm not exactly mechanically challenged.:lol:

That being said...yes..I'm finicially responsible for this transaction..mommy and daddy don't help with this one..{thumbup}

This is my first performance vehicle.. I've mainly driven luxury vechiles..bmw/ lexus...

I do have the service manual for this car..and I'm doing my research as I go. I don't know everything..but the concepts that relate to this vehicle aren't rocket science..

Lastly to assuage your curiosity. I love the lines and the styling of the X. Yes, I've posted other things saying the 4b11t may have a weak link..I think it may be a quality control issue. Some drivers say they are able to abuse their vehicles to no end and they run fine. However, other drivers with light mods blow there engines just rounding a corners or cruising along. Pretty odd don't you think

ImsoevoX May 25, 2009 08:34 PM

All in all I'd say I'm learning a decent amount through this..thanks for a feed back!!!

junction May 28, 2009 11:14 AM

Excellent thread. Subscribed!!

TTP Engineering May 28, 2009 09:21 PM

On the Ecutek ECU reflashing on Evo 8-9 there was a license placed on the ecu acknowledging that the ECU was licensed. Even when going back to stock, the license forever remained on the ECU.

If you had an Ecutek reflash, it may be possible that there is extra data on the ECU representing a license and changing the checksum.