EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain-258/)
-   -   AMS Twin Tip Review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/427708-ams-twin-tip-review.html)

bwagner31 Jun 18, 2009 11:25 PM

i still wanna throw in a disc and try that out. im getting an o2 dump. wanna have the exhaust sound mellow cruising around and then scream when the wastegate opens.

Chriso3030 Jul 3, 2009 01:39 PM

looks nice!!

heavyD Jul 3, 2009 03:30 PM

Love the exhaust, hate the tips. Stealth or not oval tips are.:thumbdown I'll be in the market soon and this would be at the top of my list if it wasn't for the tips.

Chanz X Aug 3, 2009 08:30 PM

I just got my twin tip put on last week. Love it! run it wide open. The guys over at AMS do a great job. The sound is great. It is great living so close to AMS. Thanks Dan

migs647 Aug 8, 2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by heavyD (Post 7242210)
Love the exhaust, hate the tips. Stealth or not oval tips are.:thumbdown I'll be in the market soon and this would be at the top of my list if it wasn't for the tips.

+1, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with HKS

navidf Aug 8, 2009 11:24 PM

I replaced my T1R twin tip on my MR with this exhaust the other day. The T1R was too quite, almost stock. I don't like the engine tone, so wanted something with a bit more growl. The AMS exhaust was the ticket. Wide open, the noise is a little too much inside the cabin, but with the plate with the largest hole, the exhaust tone is now perfect. I wanted something I could adjust and not be stuck with another exhaust I did not like. The T1R tips also were a bit too recessed for me.
However, my passenger side exhaust tip sits lower than the driver's side and sticks out just a tad more as well. Anyone else with this?

Chanz X Aug 9, 2009 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by navidf (Post 7374051)
I replaced my T1R twin tip on my MR with this exhaust the other day. The T1R was too quite, almost stock. I don't like the engine tone, so wanted something with a bit more growl. The AMS exhaust was the ticket. Wide open, the noise is a little too much inside the cabin, but with the plate with the largest hole, the exhaust tone is now perfect. I wanted something I could adjust and not be stuck with another exhaust I did not like. The T1R tips also were a bit too recessed for me.
However, my passenger side exhaust tip sits lower than the driver's side and sticks out just a tad more as well. Anyone else with this?

I had that same issue. Took it back to AMS the next day and they took care of me right away. There was an issue with the tip being a tad longer. They took it off and trimmed it down. All fixed looks and sounds great.

chapscalyx Aug 9, 2009 09:55 AM

i installed this 2 weeks ago and also got tuned, i notice backfire or popping sound when decelerating around 2000 rpm or less. is this normal?

bwagner31 Aug 9, 2009 09:59 AM

i get the popping on decel too. sounds great. Right now im running the pass tip fully closed off, not too loud but has a nice tone. when my wastegate dump opens it screams.

another vid coming soon possibly

gizmotoy Aug 9, 2009 01:37 PM

Mine pops quite a bit, and appears to be at least partially dependant on what plate you have installed. I'm temporarily running wide open on the passenger side, and the amount of popping has increased dramatically over even the plate with the largest diameter.

I have a couple videos up if anyone's interested. Not of the popping, but the sound of the general idle and low RPM revs:

Passenger side wide open
Largest diameter plate

gizmotoy Aug 9, 2009 01:43 PM

One other thing to note. If you're not running wide open on the passenger side, do NOT allow your tuner to use an exhaust tip wideband on the passenger side. It really hoses the readings at low RPM, and you'll freak out thinking you've been running in the 14s. This is from experience ;)

chapscalyx Aug 9, 2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy (Post 7375189)
One other thing to note. If you're not running wide open on the passenger side, do NOT allow your tuner to use an exhaust tip wideband on the passenger side. It really hoses the readings at low RPM, and you'll freak out thinking you've been running in the 14s. This is from experience ;)

absolutely agree with you.

heavyD Aug 9, 2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy (Post 7375169)
Mine pops quite a bit, and appears to be at least partially dependant on what plate you have installed. I'm temporarily running wide open on the passenger side, and the amount of popping has increased dramatically over even the plate with the largest diameter.

I have a couple videos up if anyone's interested. Not of the popping, but the sound of the general idle and low RPM revs:

Passenger side wide open
Largest diameter plate

One thing I noticed in your videos was how awkward the passenger tip looks with the V-band clamp behind it.

gizmotoy Aug 10, 2009 04:26 AM

It could be because I washed the clamp when I was messing with it and everything else was filthy. In any case, you're not often looking at the car from below ground level, so under normal conditions you can't really see it.

GTR THI5 Aug 18, 2009 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by navidf (Post 7374051)

You can fix that very easily... Just loosen the t-bolt clamp that attached the muffler side to the right side. You can adjust the height up and down quite easily. As soon as you have it in the desirable position just retighten the t-bolt clamp and it will stay.

(NOTE: it tends to move while tightening so be sure to hold the left tip tightly in place while retightening the bolt)