Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Twin Tip Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Twin Tip Review

Well after spending countless months researching different exhausts, i finally settled on the AMS Twin Tip. I ordered their catback and testpipe to accompany my AMS Short ram intake that was already on the car. All Three products have been top notch quality. I received the exhaust in a couple days and everything was packaged very securely and wrapped carefully. They forgot to send out the silencer plates with the exhaust but i notified them of it and they immediately had them shipped out to me. +1 for customer service.

Sound
Since i still havent gotten around to installing any of the plates this exhaust is very loud. I actually like the tone of the exhaust but with most of the exhaust traveling out the unmuffled tip, it screams. It crackles rather nicely on downshifts and i can hear some backfires as well. I have not yet tried any of the silencer plates but im sure that this will be a good alternative for people who want a milder exhaust note.

Performance
The butt dyno seems to think that i picked up a decent amount of power with the combination of the catback and test pipe. I feel just as much if not more of an increase than i did with the intake, so i would assume ive picked up 20-30hp. I cant wait to get tuned and see what numbers i can put down with the stock cat and exhaust restrictions removed.

Quality
The welds on both exhaust and test pipe were beautiful and it appeared to be made of high quality materials. Perfect fitment and no rattles/rubbing anywhere. I tried to install myself but couldnt get the catbolts off so i ended up bringing it up to a friends shop and having him throw it on his lift to do it for me. He actually commented on the fitment of the exhaust and said how well designed it was. My favorite thing is the versatility of this system. While i enjoy the sound, i know i can always quiet things down if i desire.

Some Pics....

and the video. Sound seems slightly off to me. Can never truly capture the sound well through a pos camera. The camera's memory filled up right as i started to get on it.
View My Video

This video is actually on a camera phone but is a much truer representation of the sound imo. This is a more accurate recording. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPxu...e=channel_page

Last edited by bwagner31; Jun 16, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to the Sabres license plate and frame....where do you live?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
to the Sabres license plate and frame....where do you live?
albany ny. I love the sabres! My whole family is from batavia.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

sick, too bad im not baller enough to afford one haha.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

get tuned at DG motors
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

I hate that exhaust, not that it looks bad at all. To gimicky, different plates I like to see balance
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

hows the car running / idling without the tune? Im getting ready to pull the trigger on the AMS intake / test pipe / twin tip myself , just a little concerned about running around un-tuned
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
get tuned at DG motors
Im really considering it. Still looking at CBRD as well. I have full confidence that either place will be great.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bob Evolved
hows the car running / idling without the tune? Im getting ready to pull the trigger on the AMS intake / test pipe / twin tip myself , just a little concerned about running around un-tuned
No issues for me. Great combo imo cant wait to get tuned though.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strocse
I hate that exhaust, not that it looks bad at all. To gimicky, different plates I like to see balance
While the plates are a funny idea. The option to change sound is nice, knowing that you can quiet it if need be. There is confidence is knowing your not gonna be stuck with an exhaust that is annoying and loud, you can change it to suit your taste.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 02:39 PM

After going a week with no silencer plate, I installed the one that still allowed the most flow to the passenger side tip. No noticeable power loss, and it definitely quieted the exhaust down a bit. I actually think it sounds better with the plate installed.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bwagner31
While the plates are a funny idea. The option to change sound is nice, knowing that you can quiet it if need be. There is confidence is knowing your not gonna be stuck with an exhaust that is annoying and loud, you can change it to suit your taste.
The best option is that you can pull off the muffler section to run straight-through and shed some weight for track days, all by flipping off a little v-clamp that takes 60 seconds.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

wow, that thing is loud as hell! I hope the the plates quite things up a lot, if not, I guess I'll scratch this exhaust off my list.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bwagner31
Im really considering it. Still looking at CBRD as well. I have full confidence that either place will be great.
well chad at CBRD and charlie at DG, tune the same so it doesnt really matter who you get tuned by.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

i hope it's just your recorder, because it sounds like