Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Going under the knife.. MAP 2.3L\EF4 Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice valve cover, looks good. Havent really seen Blue before.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 187 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Zivman
Maybe a PM to Chris would be in order or even posting it in this thread.... IMHO MAP needs some help on this
Honestly its the simplest thing to forget, I mean I could be wrong (which I often am) but my issues were caused by forgetting to put a washer in on the bracing under the car. So the front brace was touching the down pipe. Once it would do that car would knock being the knock sensor would pick up the clank and think it was knock. Maybe its not in this case, Idk, but it is something simple to look at and figure out if and when the motor moves when accelerating it is possibly hitting that braceing.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 187 Likes on 132 Posts
Check the braceing under the car Chris. I chased mine done forever till i noticed I missed a washer.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.. Webernets.. serious business.. Where to start. First, I'll start off by saying I do not regret this build and would do it all over again. That in itself should tell you something. Hell I even bought the ENTIRE MAP crew pizza on Friday.

Am I frustrated that the car has made made the numbers I expected? Sure, who wouldn't be. Is that specifically related to whatever this knock issue is.. I would say yes but I guess we will find out. As far as my investment goes.. that really is between me and MAP and I do not appreciate others commenting about it.. Yeah, I actually did make the mistake of sharing what I have spent to a few locals including Zivman and another close friend who had his 2G built at MAP. Given what I have spent and prices listed on MAPs site, I can confidently say Chris has more or less sponsored me and the car to an extent. Which I do of course appreciate. Is that to say his is not making money off me? I think that is silly to assume.. he has a business to run right?

I feel my two major faults were sharing a little too much and taking the car to a another tuner when the bucking started. The latter of course complicated things and I am sure upset Chris. But I do not feel Shane's tune had anything to do with the current knock or the bucking (which we now know was BOV related). I tend to jump the gun and I am impatient. Yes, I did the 2nd round of mods based on MAPs recommendations and making less power was certainly a big WTF. But.. we know it's not the parts that caused less power but rather the knock issue. **** happens and I have been cool about it. I am confident the car will hit over 600 once those issues are resolved which will meet my expectations. Again, any extra power with this build is really just a bonus since I was content with stock block and BBK. My goal with this build was bulletproof motor and preparedness for later.

As far as the time it has taken to resolve.. yeah it sucks but that is how it goes. There have been limited windows for troubleshooting on both sides and we both understand that so end of story there.

Zivman is not as evil as he sounds.. We chat often and he is a smart guy and cool to hang with.. I know there is some animosity there with him and MAP but that's their issue not mine. He is entitled to his opinion and I respect that as a fellow enthusiast. I just don't want my build thread spinning out of control (may be too late) and becoming a shout box for any personal vendetta. My car is a beast and I love it. Now let's focus on getting these final issues resolved.. see you tomorrow Chris.

Last edited by Revobasher; Mar 18, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Wait spaz.. I actually prefer to fall in that category!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Revobasher
Wait spaz.. I actually prefer to fall in that category!
Well, admittedly, I do too.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zivman
Oh man... after this thread I will never have his cell.... How will I ever get parts at 1 am on a saturday morning on the coldest night of a MN winter?
Do yourself a favor and stop typing.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Unacceptable.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks too whoever cleaned up this thread.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
No problem. Please report any future derailments if they happen.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love beast
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Revobasher
Spent some more time at MAP today. Was able to get VC installed, catch can fabbed and mini battery setup done. Woot! Engine bay is coming along!
I love how the engine bay is coming along.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thx guys. I had MAP move the catch can back and I ordered up a genesis battery. Should have more info on knock issues tomorrow.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't a few of us say it was the BOV itself or the spring causing your problem?

-I'm a bit late but haven't been on the internets in a few days.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could I be obnoxious and beg you for a Part Number list for your whole catch can setup?

I'm trying to figure out how I should vent mine, and many are saying that off the head isn't sufficient, but I tend to think otherwise.

Build looks great.

Quick Reply: Going under the knife.. MAP 2.3L\EF4 Build