Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

StreetThisEVO - 2013 Build Thread - Big Power Coming!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StreetThisEVO - 2013 Build Thread - Big Power Coming!!

StreetThisEVO

Well it is well into 2013 now and I am finally getting the ball rolling on my EVO! I've had a lot going on in life and haven't had much time for the car. I started a new job last month and have been busy as every. I have a lot of changes planned this year and am pumped to get this project rolling.

For those who haven't followed any of my threads in the past know I've been hunting for an 8 second timeslip for almost 2 years now. I didn't hit that goal in 2012 and hope to reach it this year. I am a very goal driven person and will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal!

Highlights from 2012:

2012 ended with a personal best pass of 9.37 @ 160.16 mph. As far as we know I hold the record for the fastest EVO IX (MIVEC). That record was set using a T3 based Forced Performance HTA GT3586R turbocharger.

This pass was done with what I consider full interior. The car still has power windows, mirrors, wipers, steering, and full glass, all seats, interior panels, carpet, door beams, sway bars, etc...The only thing changed from how I drive it on the street was the tires. Don't get me wrong my car is light and I have worked hard to get it the way while trying to keep it looking as stock as possible still.

Video:

At the 20th annual DSM/EVO Shootout I ran the Q16 class for the first time ever. I have attended the Shootout for a decade now and have always wanted to enter a car into the Q16 class. I knew I wouldn't have the fastest car but always like a challange. I had issues with my transmission all day but still managed to qualify with a 9.5 pass putting me right in the middle of the group qualifying #8. I made it past the first round and had to oppurtunity to line up against FathouseFab. Second round I was demolished by Kiggly haha.

Video:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few good pics from 2012:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the fun stuff!!

Changes for 2013:

- Complete rebuild of my Buschur high compression 2.0 shortblock. It has been in the car for over 3 full seasons and has had the **** kicked out of it haha. I have never had an issue with it. The new shortblock will receive all new bearings, rings, and 'new' pistons. The GRP aluminum rods and crank will be checked to make sure they are tip top still. It should be nice
- My EVO IX (MIVEC) Buschur stage 3 cylinder head is getting rebuilt and will be sold. I will be switching to a Buschur stage 3 EVO VIII cylinder head.
- The GSC power division S3 MIVEC cams have been sold and will be replaced with Buschur BF280 camshafts to match the new VIII cylinder head.
- Forced Performance T3 HTA GT3586R turbo has been sold and is being replaced with a Forced Performance Tial v-band HTA GT3794R.
- All new Buschur forward facing turbo kit w/ Tial wastegate.
- AEM EMS V1 will be replaced with a V2 box.
- Wilwood 'scalloped' front rotors and new pads to replace the original AMS/Wilwood solid rotors. Should shave another 6 lbs were it counts the most!
- All new OEM gaskets from top to bottom
- ARP L19 headstuds
- New catch can (either STM's BFC, FatHouse's, or a custom piece...can't decide yet). My Buschur one has worked great but I want a larger one.

I know there will be more but that is the main list of things to do. The motor is currently at Buschur being rebuilt. My turbo is being built by Forced Performance as we speak. The rest of the items will follow shortly after.

I know my fuel trims on the 160 mph pass were close to 80% if not a hair over. With the new motor and larger turbo I may need to come up with a solution for more fuel. Believe it or not I was still running the OEM fuel pressure regulator haha. I'd love to build a custom bolt in fuel cell to save weight and space and allow for a nice external fuel pump but doubt there is room in the budget for that this year. Once I get everything together and running i'll address this more. As of now I plan to stick with E98 fuel. I'd try the FTW stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive.

The new setup should be very solid! I'd guess power will be up anywhere from 100-140 whp from 2012. I'd love to see low to mid 800 whp on Buschur's Mustang Dyno. I also like to get the weight of the car down another 30-40 lbs in street trim. I haven't touched the wiring harness inside the car yet and know there is a good amount of weight savings to be had there. The combination of deleting MIVEC and new brakes should help achieve that goal. I have some other ideas but again will have to see if the budget allows for it.

A lot of this would not be possible without the help of my friends, family, and sponsors. Thank you David and Buschur Racing, as well as everyone at Forced Performance. You guys have been standing behind me for years now and always seem to raise the bar with new and amazing parts. It is crazy to me how far technology has come in such a short period. Thank you for always being there guys!

Just like my build threads in the past I'll keep you guys updated with the progress! Lots of pictures and details to come...keep posted guys.

- Chris -

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i was hoping for this thread HAHAH and it finally is here. wonderful car and great job in 2012. best of luck for 2013 man.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good to finally see a 2013 thread for this car! Good luck this year Chris & looking forward to updates!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brand new Buschur FF kit ?? with a 37/94 .. im interested in this
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

i didnt kno you car still had so much of the "luxury" equipment.. 8 second pass or not, thats still impressive none the less
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Good Luck with the quest for 8s this season! I hope you get it. I'm hoping to get that slip as well. I ended up at 9.48 @132 with my motor letting go at the 1/8. So hopefully we both get there. Absolutely amazing and well done. Best of luck to you this season.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sick car man!! does it have a roll cage??
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Been following your car for a while now. Good luck hope you hit your goals this year. Really like that you stayed with fp on the 3794 choice
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

subscribed
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:03 AM

following! can't wait to see her in action this year!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i was hoping for this thread HAHAH and it finally is here. wonderful car and great job in 2012. best of luck for 2013 man.
I've been meaning to start one for awhile now but just haven't had the time. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Good to finally see a 2013 thread for this car! Good luck this year Chris & looking forward to updates!
Thanks man

Originally Posted by evo7_8u
brand new Buschur FF kit ?? with a 37/94 .. im interested in this
It should be a killer kit. Last time I checked David was waiting on piping to come in to start welding them up. I'll post a ton of pics once the parts are in my hands.

Originally Posted by jmcmill3
i didnt kno you car still had so much of the "luxury" equipment.. 8 second pass or not, thats still impressive none the less
Thank you!

Originally Posted by GGevo921
Good Luck with the quest for 8s this season! I hope you get it. I'm hoping to get that slip as well. I ended up at 9.48 @132 with my motor letting go at the 1/8. So hopefully we both get there. Absolutely amazing and well done. Best of luck to you this season.
You too man. Your car hauls ***!

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
sick car man!! does it have a roll cage??
No it does not have a cage. The car only has 18k miles on it and I drive it on the street quite a bit still. I didn't want to tear the interior up with a cage. I may consider one sometime down the road. We'll see I guess.

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
Been following your car for a while now. Good luck hope you hit your goals this year. Really like that you stayed with fp on the 3794 choice
Forced Performance FTW

I support the vendors who support us. Simple as that.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Always great to see another thread from you sir! With your drive and devotion there is no doubt you will dip into the 8s!

Also that fatfab catchcan is pretty large and in charge.. you won't have to drain it every other pass.

Are you sticking with the oem trans or thinking about a dogbox or a auto after br perfects it?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Absolutely love the car like I mentioned many times before haha !

The wheel and tire setup is really growing on me ! What's the specs on the setup ? I know they are 15" rotas
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Always great to see another thread from you sir! With your drive and devotion there is no doubt you will dip into the 8s!

Also that fatfab catchcan is pretty large and in charge.. you won't have to drain it every other pass.

Are you sticking with the oem trans or thinking about a dogbox or a auto after br perfects it?
I hope so man. I'd be happy with anything in the 8's. Reviewing my 9.3 pass from last season shows the car had an 8 in it as it sat. The motor bogged down to 4100 rpm on the launch that pass. I solid low 1.4 sixty might have got me the 8 second pass I wanted.

I'm leaning toward the Fatfab catch can right now. It looks nice and is a good price. I'll get it powder coated crinkle black to match other items on the car.

Yes I am sticking with the OEM trans as of right now. I'd love a dogbox but can't afford it with everything else going on. Anyone want to sponsor me a dogbox haha?? Talking with David the auto trans should be killer if it all comes together like he thinks. I still don't know if an auto is for me. I love banging gears

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
Absolutely love the car like I mentioned many times before haha !

The wheel and tire setup is really growing on me ! What's the specs on the setup ? I know they are 15" rotas
HAHA thank you. They are 15 x 7" Rota's with 235/55/15 BF Goodrich T/A drag radials. My 2012 build thread should have all the details on them. I think I got the wheel/tire combo brand new for like $1100.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

did you run on those tires at the track or just the street. i have a set of mnh g60 tires on rota slip streams on the way to me right now.

Quick Reply: StreetThisEVO - 2013 Build Thread - Big Power Coming!!