Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Rare is a relative term. While you are patiently waiting to import a CT9W I am waiting to come across a CT9A that has been rear ended.

Subscribed for this build. I am sure it will be a learning experience.
Yeah swapping a wrecked CT9A drivetrain/rear pan, into a Sportback would be a great way to go. However, the suggestion by uzumaki, was to use a clean CT9A and grafting the Sportback to it. Or I suppose reworking a rear end damaged CT9A would be a candidate as well. Just seems that the budget would balloon. The title of this thread is misleading, in that apoopoo's build won't be so much of CT9W, without the CT9A drivetrain, suspension etc.

I'm looking forward to what apopoo has going on.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
So those plastic peices are for the lights? The rear hatch lights use the same as the usdm lights just with extra molded peices? Seems kinda strange how would they not stick out....
Those pieces are used to fill-in the area where the CT9W is wider than the Sportback. The other flat pieces cover the area where the rear CT9A panel meets the D-pillar of the Sportback.

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Feb 2, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes please post more info on the ct9w (uzumaki)differences to remind me daily why I should wait 5 years instead of building one myself.
Pretty sure we scared apo off if he has half a brain hehehe.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Feb 3, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yes please post more info on the ct9w (uzumaki)differences to remind me daily why I should wait 5 years instead of building one myself.
I don't think he was going to build a CT9W, his idea was more a AWD Cedia wagon with a body kit. That's why I think the title is a little misleading to those offering alternative build scenarios.

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Feb 3, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If I went the grafting route can anyone get the headliner and associated interior trim peices? Or will the head liner out of a cedia wagon work? Kinda want a new liner tho that doesn't look beat....
Old Feb 4, 2015, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

If I went the grafting route can anyone get the headliner and associated interior trim peices? Or will the head liner out of a cedia wagon work? Kinda want a new liner tho that doesn't look beat....
I believe the interior would be the same for both models. You can re-do your headliner with new material, I think most interior shops can do it, relatively inexpensive. There may even be a few DIYs on Youtube.

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Feb 5, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 09:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I must have half a brain because Im still here lol
I needed to get away from all the snow so I was on an island somewhere warm for the last 3 weeks. I did get a pic of a real cedia wagon.

photo share

As for my build Im still in the parts collecting stage.
So far I got 2 hoods (evo7 and 8), headlights and I have the plastic tail light pieces coming from japan.

upload gambar

capture

I did consider the "grafting a ct9a into a ct9w" option at one point.
I picked the brains of 2 very informative friends of mine. One guy builds tube chassis for dragsters and the other one owns a bodyshop. Both advised me not to do it that way. The bodyshop owner worked for bmw for 10 years and mercedes for 7 years before opening his own shop so he really knows the rights and wrongs of auto body repairs. After comparing pictures of lancer wagons, evos and evo wagons. He said theres really no way to cleanly graft the 2 cars together without compromising the structure integrity of the unibody construction. We would need to take the roof from the A pillars then everything from the b pillars back to the bumper. The doors are different, the rear quarter panels will be needed for the windows back there and the rear lift gate will require everything back there as well. unibody is made of layers of sheet metal and every layer would need to be dissected and welded back together which would be a nightmare.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:00 AM

Here are some pics of my projects
Fully converted Evo3
Attachment 328987
Attachment 328988
Evo4.5 Clone (for now just only the exterior is done, 4g63 and awd to come later)
Attachment 328989
S13 to R32 conversion
Name:  hgo3hut.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  384.5 KB
Fully converted Ver3 STI wagon

Forester Type M (conversion almost completed)

photo sharing sites

imag
Old Feb 5, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

You do good work.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to see you're doing this. I might try one as well, depending on how the rear floor situation looks.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any progress on this? Very interested, planning the very same thing.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get this bumper and plastic pieces

Last edited by jzelasko; Mar 9, 2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: change my mind
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Heck, how did I miss this thread? And you're only up in NY? Wish I would have known sooner, maybe I could have let you "mock" my car up (sound familiar anyone?)!

Yep, it'll be cool to see our car "look like" a Evo 9 Wagon, but I still hold onto that an Evo was built/engineered to be a rally car and to "convert" a non-rally platform into a rally car is possible, but it's not going to be an Evo 9 when it's done. So, for me, I'd just default and buy one, but then again, I don't have the motivation nor know-how to do what you guys do!

Last edited by truthdweller; Mar 15, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
And oh, you'd prefer mine as well, for it's a "California Car" (now in Jersey) and is spotless compared to the rust buckets out here in these longitudes...just sayin'

Where in NY are you?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:01 PM

Sorry for the lack of progress on this build, I have been working on an outlander all summer and neglected the lancer wagon. So last week I started working on the interior of the wagon.
I put in the armrest and center console and shifter from a CT9W GT-A. It has a nicer arm rest and shifter assembly. I also found the rare navigation system (MMCS) and started putting that in.

image posting

image sharing

image upload free

free image uploading

how to take a screenshot on a pc

photo host

image post

So as you can see I painted it blue to try to match the GT-A color scheme but I think the blue I chosed was a bit too bright compared to the shifter console.
Im still debating if I should paint the radio/hvac panel blue or black. The original GT-A radio/hvac panel is black and the section around the vents and nav display is also black.

For those that might be interested, the original panel is RHD and requires a lot of modification to work in a LHD car. This is what it looked like when I first got it

forum image hosting

The automatic GT-A shifter and center console is a direct bolt in.
It will replace the Lancer auto shifter but you will lose the "3" "2" "L" gears.
The GT-A shifter is only "P" "R" "N" "D" and "+" and "-" for the triptronic gearbox.
It bolts right in and works great.

Leather rear seats from a Cedia

free image uploading

This is the outlander I was working on. It got an Airtrek conversion with Work Anhelo front lip and R.O.A.R. side skirts and rear lip.

picture share

jpg images

Last edited by apoopoo999; Oct 20, 2015 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lancer Sportback (Cedia Wagon) to Evo Wagon (ct9w)