Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo_AK's 2015 GSR Build

Old Nov 28, 2015, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo_AK's 2015 GSR Build

Never really did one of these, but decided to start a progress thread to keep track of my car! WARNING: My grammar and photography skills are less then perfect. So let's get started.

I bought the car in early August from Northtowne Mitsubishi in Kansas City. It's a 2015 Evo X GSR in Wicked White. It was the only one within 100 miles that was 1) White and 2) Fast Key and projectors. Those were my only two stipulations to buying a car. She had 36 miles when I picked her up. Loved the new car smell!

Name:  1_zps1rtzstkh.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  2_zpsqbn5qdca.jpg
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  3_zpsgdxlcjne.jpg
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  4_zpshx5c5n40.jpg
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  5_zpska6vkcvo.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB

It didn't take long for the mod bug to bite. I couldn't stand all the chrome and badges. I debadged the trunk and blacked out the headlights. I decided to leave the amber side marker just for some color. Later, I'd like to send them off to have the quad projector mod done, demon eyes, and upgrade the stock projector lens.

Name:  image23_zps3klttlxa.jpg
Size:  68.1 KB

Next, I started going for performance. First thing I ordered was the Muse UICP and ETS intake. Now that I've installed the Muse UICP, I'm quite disappointed. It's too short to the compressor housing, and rubs on the wire harness next to the engine cover. Then I decided to finish the system with an ETS LICP and 3.5" FMIC. I've been super happy with ETS parts and customer service. I also ordered a Grimmspeed 3-Port but waiting on tune to install.

Name:  image30_zpsmto4iol0.png
Size:  221.4 KB

Name:  image13_zpsqwsmx2kd.jpg
Size:  136.5 KB

At this time, I also did the TWM Short Shifter with Cage and Transmission Arm bushings. (No Pictures) Then I started noticing my car was too quiet. So after deciding I wanted to stay with a dual exit, and the Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust was back ordered two months, I ordered the ETS V2 Extreme catback, ETS test pipe, and MAP O2 Dump downpipe. At the same time, I ordered my AEM UEGO wideband and mounted it on the steering column.

Name:  image11_zpsqyqtywsl.png
Size:  202.1 KB

Name:  image20_zpsapjeykb1.png
Size:  172.8 KB

Next came a huge decision for suspension. After reading a lot of mixed reviews about coilovers, I pulled the trigger on KW Variant 3's. Jared at MAP was amazing at price matching competitors and I had them in a week.

Name:  image1_zpsbagzxcyo.jpg
Size:  105.3 KB

Out with the old...

Name:  image2_zpsul1kjkdp.jpg
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  image3_zpsbuxol5af.jpg
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  image10_zpsqpqjxgee.jpg
Size:  86.7 KB

In with the new!

Name:  image21_zpsakps9kad.jpg
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  image31_zpsa1ii6zi3.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

My camber was way out of whack with how low we went. I just wanted the top of the fender edge even with the top of the tire. I ordered Whiteline Rear Camber Arms that should be here Monday, then an alignment on Tuesday. Also, ordering a Lathewerks shift knob to finish my shifter assembly mod. Will post pics as I mod the car.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice mod list! It should make for a very fun toy!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice start keep us updated! Btw what are your plans for the car?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
Nice mod list! It should make for a very fun toy!

Thanks! That was the plan, a fun street car.

Originally Posted by WWGSR
Nice start keep us updated! Btw what are your plans for the car?
Will do. For power, I'm pretty satisfied right now. I eventually might go with an MHI-18k, 1300cc injectors, and go E-85. Only time will tell. I'm gonna work on some cosmetics for now.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Again, sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. We are trying to setup a meet to get some decent pictures of the car. So I got the Whiteline Rear Camber Arms on. Very simple install. Got me at -1.50* on all four corners, with less then .10* toe. I was happy.

Name:  image1_zpsmbnaskqj.jpg
Size:  137.5 KB

I went ahead and ordered a new shift knob. With the TWM short shifter/cage, plus solid bushings, the stock shift knob wasn't cutting it. I went with the Lathewerks stainless steel knob, full collar, and added the two grooves at the bottom. I absolutely love the feel of it. I still want to try switching to the Redline Cocktail, just to see if it improves the notchy feeling any more.

Name:  image3_zps5mtdawjm.jpg
Size:  284.7 KB

And this led to my decision to switch to E85! Started with VP ethanol gas cans. Got two 5 gallon cans, because we only have one E85 station in town. Then I ordered ID1000's, AEM 320lph fuel pump with adapters, Radium fuel rail, and ETS UICP. Just ordered the UICP because I was tired of the poor fitment from the Muse one-piece. The guys at MAP were cool enough to throw in a turbo clock!

Name:  882450_10154096561075101_2438241561727611924_o_zpsow7yu3hh.jpg
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  12489278_10154122006825101_8299882894799368680_o_zpskls4aemm.jpg
Size:  189.5 KB

Name:  image2_zps6lsiikkl.jpg
Size:  199.9 KB

So as it sits right now, I have quite a few parts waiting to be installed. Injectors, Pump, fuel rail, and 3-port. I'm about to order a Radium surge tank, Driven Fabrication coolant/catch can, aluminum valve cover, and Zeitronix ethanol content analyzer. This should finish my engine/power mods for now until I get tuned by Chet Rickerman.

That's all for now!

Old Jan 19, 2016, 09:45 AM

This should be good
Old Jan 23, 2016, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

So made another decent purchase. I have been going through Jared Selas at Modern Automotive Performance, and I can see I have been nothing but pleased with my orders. Definitely a stand up guy and has gotten me the best prices. Here is what's on its way:

Radium Surge Tank w/ Install Kit (Installing the AEM 320lph pump in prior posts)
Radium Fuel Pressure Gauge (For fuel rail in prior post)
Driven-Fabrication -10AN Coolant Tank/Catch Can
AEM 35psi Boost Gauge
Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer Kit
OEM Aluminum Valve Cover

So the plans are, once all these parts arrive, to start lining things up with Chet Rickerman for a tune. I also need to send off the valve cover to Justin at Detective Coating to be powdercoated. In the mean time, I was able to pick up a Forever Driven dual gauge pod from a member on one of the FB groups I'm in. It has a small hair line crack on one of the pods I need to fix, but other then that, fitment is great!

Name:  image1_zps2mrt3ls1.jpg
Size:  138.9 KB
Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

So another update:

Had a lot of parts come in today. Got everything I ordered from the previous post, minus the fittings I need to put the flex fuel sensor in, and my Driven Fabrication Catch Can. Right now, I have quite a lot of parts that are waiting to be installed, but that will have to wait until I get home in April.

I did, however, manage to atleast get the fuel pump installed in the surge tank, and the surge tank in the car. Very tideous process, but having the piece of mind of no fuel starvation now, is well worth it.

I also got my AEM boost gauge installed. I didn't realize when I ordered it, that it had to be hooked to a pressure/boost sensor. So that was kind of an ordeal getting all that hooked up. Had to make a few trips to O'Reillys, but got it all buttoned up.

As for the rest of the parts, I'm gonna be sending the valve cover off to Justin at Detective Coating to work his magic. Then I can install my DF catch can, when it arrives. I also need to order one more hose assembly from Radium to install the flex fuel sensor in-line with the surge tank. I figured that would be the easiest way, so I don't have to splive any fuel lines. More to come!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Got the surge tank, fuel rail, injectors, and 3-port installed last night. Working with Chet Rickerman now on tuning the car. Sending out the aluminum valve cover tomorrow to Detective Coating, then I'll just be waiting on my Driven Fab catch can.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Well I've run into a problem. I got everything installed on Saturday and started my tune with Chet. After fixing all the leaks, I got the base map loaded and the car started. My fuel pressure at the rail is sitting at 90 psi! So I feel like me return just wasn't big enough for the 320lph pump. I removed the housing and drilled out the return orifice to 3/32" and removed the little cone filter in the return line. That got it down to 86 psi.

I think I've come to the conclusion that the hard return line that attached to the fuel rail is just too small and causing it to bottle neck. I ordered the MAP AFPR kit to hopefully aleviate the problem. That'll give me -6an return to the return hard pipe. Hopefully that solves the problem without having to go to a fuel pump controller.

Any other insight on how to fix this problem would be great!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Finally! I got the adjustable fuel pressure regulator in today and got it all installed. Pretty simple install. Need to reroute and adjust some of the lines, but I'll do that at a later date. So when I originally installed it, my fuel pressure dropped from 86 (oem fpr) to 69 (new AEM AFPR). Then, I changed the orifice to the silver (.150") orifice and it dropped it to 46 psi. Chet and I agree that it's close enough. I got the idle and cruise logs to Chet and am waiting on a new modified map. Finally coming together!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:18 PM

The car looks fantastic, nice.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 06:38 PM

Did you instal parts to go e85/ Flex system? Reason i ask...if you got it installed just curious how much it cost you. I may go the same route, but i cant say id know wth im doing lol
Old Feb 14, 2016, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 99gpgtx
Did you instal parts to go e85/ Flex system? Reason i ask...if you got it installed just curious how much it cost you. I may go the same route, but i cant say id know wth im doing lol
I've installed everything, so far, by myself. It's really pretty easy, if you can follow directions.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Small update. Started tuning with Chet but we ran into some problems. I noticed a lean problem during any moderate throttle or going up an incline. We believe we've narrowed it down to the bigger pump, injectors, and Radium fuel rail. I ordered the Radium fuel pulse damper, so hopefully that corrects the problem. Should have it Thursday or Friday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo_AK's 2015 GSR Build