Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

The Ugly Duckling: Evo IX Revival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, what can I say... finding a neglected car to try to start fixing and restoring her is never easy.

Finally had some free time to start working on my ACD pump and if stripping the first 4 screws and having to dremel them off was any indication of what I would find, I still wouldn't expect this...

Carnage ahead....

So yeah, great start to my holiday weekend...

No the tough decision becomes do I even bother trying to find a used pump or just convert to a non-ACD TC setup. My current transfer case could probably use a basic rebuild to freshen it up so I think I am leaning the route of going non-ACD unless someone wants to give me one hell of a good deal on a pump.

Updates to come next week as I have the whole week off work but for now I am going to sit on my boat and drink some beers and maybe sob a little.

Josh-
Old Sep 11, 2017, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
That's a great decision.

After modifying my suspension with a high-end setup, I will probably never put something aftermarket on my vehicle unless it has "Bilstein" or "Ohlin" written on it.

You go away from those two, and you severely diverge from OEM-reliability.
Never had any issues from my KWs. But I would go Ohlins if I were to get new suspension
Old Sep 15, 2017, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
good progress so far
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks!

Been extremely quiet lately due to work and some big life changes. Update coming soon.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:37 AM

So after a crazy few months it's time to get back to the evo. Long story short; split with the old lady, bought a new house, got a new dd, work and more work.

The plus side is now I have a permanent DD (and free time) so the evo can become a full-on project.

I had some time last night to rip apart the front end to remove the AC and power steering. There is so much more room without those components!

I also will be installing all the components to switch to speed density and ecu boost as I am just waiting on Tom/Brian at TScomptuned to send me a payment link to buy my tune. Will be tuned on 93 for now so I can enjoy it for another month or two before winter. It will be going to corn juice during the winter.

I also spoke with a good friend of mine who owns a body shop and he is getting me a new core support, fenders, bumper, side skirts, and hood so the bodywork should hopefully be getting started this winter when the car gets put away.

More to come this weekend, hopefully!

Josh-
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:29 AM

After 6 months at the client site and living out of my suitcase, finally rebooting this thread. Over the next few weeks, the motor is coming out for a refresh and finally installing some components. Stay tuned!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Nice work so far! I remember seeing this car for sale locally many years ago. I was in the market but the price was way too high back then for the train-wreck of paint jobs and other issues.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by rosuegk7
After 6 months at the client site and living out of my suitcase, finally rebooting this thread. Over the next few weeks, the motor is coming out for a refresh and finally installing some components. Stay tuned!
Looking forward to seeing the build progress commence once more! Did your friend source the core support and other parts for you? Man, I could never take a business trip that long, I don't know how you guys do it. In fact, I hate business trips lol. Being away from family, friends, home, my own toys haha.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
subscribed... this looks like a tough journey. Keep up the great work.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Looking forward to seeing the build progress commence once more! Did your friend source the core support and other parts for you? Man, I could never take a business trip that long, I don't know how you guys do it. In fact, I hate business trips lol. Being away from family, friends, home, my own toys haha.
It's definitely rough, but it pays the bills.

So my friend can get me all of the parts through a third party but they won't be OEM. I think I am okay with that as the cost is quite a bit cheaper and they are very high quality. It's the same supplier his company uses for all of their repairs and I have seen the fit on many cars and they are spot on. He also said the only true oem pieces they usually buy are the aluminum parts for the new F150s. I think the parts come from the base supplier of the OEM parts, but who knows.

For now, he said we will just strap my car to the frame jig and make any minor corrections. I can deal with an ugly car for a while as long as it runs well.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 08:32 AM

So the short term plan is the following:

Pull Fenders, Hood, and wipercowl to check for any rust and clean the hell out of the frame.

Pull Engine
- General Cleaning; degrease/paint block, check freeze plugs, etc.
- Timing Job
- Pulling the head to install EGR port plug
- Maybe Cams and support since the head is off

Items to send to powdercoat:
- Subrame
- Crossmember
- Hubs
- ACD Bracket
- Calipers ( just the front for now)

Suspension is being completely rebuilt with the following:
- Ohlins R&T
- New wheel bearings
- All new bushings
- Whiteline Swaybar

I am also planning to clean up the stock intake manifold. Smooth any un-needed ports, drill out current vacuum barbs to install push-loc fittings, etc.

A lot of the work will be cheap and tedious cleaning but my OCD is killing me with this car.

While the engine is out, I am going to clean up the bay a bit. Remove any un-needed wiring (EGR, MAF, PS, AC). I am also going to drill out and re-tap any broken bolts or smooth out any holes that aren't needed. I also may pull the trigger on deleting the ABS. This will be mainly a drag car with limited use on the street so starting to lighten it as much as possible but more importantly just give a much cleaner firewall.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:17 PM

Finally got the car to my storage unit and got the front end ripped back apart. Picking up my engine stand and cherry picker tomorrow.

Old May 15, 2018, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely wanna see finished product!
Old May 17, 2018, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Hope your going to paint it back to EB
Old May 18, 2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by yellowevo82
Hope your going to paint it back to EB
Sure am!