Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

The White Evo Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The White Evo Build

Well, I recently picked up a 2006 Evo RS for a pretty penny, less than the asking price let's just say that.
It was too my liking, an RS model, with some half decent mods. A building ground from where I could begin.
It has currently:
GSC cams (unsure if S1 or S2 as previous owner did not know. I'm leaning towards S2, but when I repaint valve cover I'll know more)
ETS intake
ETS intercooler
No name exhaust - 3 inch.
Eibach springs on stock shocks
Works BOV
AEM 100% meth injection
Rebuilt gearbox
Quarter Master stage 2 clutch
XXR wheels (not the greatest)
Usual gauges

It has 73XXX on the clock with the interior being a solid 10/10. The seats and dash are in great condition, all bar the left front pillar which looks like it once had that 2Fast2Furious tacho installed. Nice.
Outside needed some love, and still needs more.
After a 5 hour detail session I got it about half way to where I want it. I have a professional cut and buff on Wednesday lined up to finish what I didn't have the tools for.

Pics, of course.
The White Evo Build-photo753.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo716.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo601.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo990.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo260.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo900.jpg

So the bad news though. I bought the car with a failed ACD pump, supposedly. He had it checked by Mitsubishi who read the codes and got the typical code 86(?) for ACD pressure.
Well I was okay with that as it literally happened between the first and second time I went and looked at the car. I still bought it, at the fraction of the price.
I decided to buy a rebuild kit as I knew the car lived in Oregon for some of its life, so the pump must have some corrosion or something on it. Checked the outsides of it today and it's clean as a whistle. No rust, no corrosion that I can see. Yet to pull it apart though.
But then I thought, I should check the positive terminal fuse which from my understanding powers the unit. I found both fuses blown. On order and let's hope I make a $2600 fix $20.

The other problem the car had was stuttering on WOT or boost anywhere over 10-12psi. First instinct was spark plugs. So I pulled them and to my initial guess, they were the wrong spark plugs.
The White Evo Build-photo817.jpg
New on left. Old on right.
Can you see the problem?
After the install the drive ability went up 10fold. Holding boost well into 7000rpm. Stoked. Grin ear to ear.

And then, boost gauge goes out. Both the stock one and auto meter one. Thought must have blown a line or something.
Nope.
Pure laziness. They never blocked off the T piece to the gauges. ??????????????? Yeah my thoughts exactly.
The White Evo Build-photo89.jpg

So the car needs some love and attention to get up to where it should be.

The next steps is a full service front to rear, with a diff restack, fix ACD pump, new wheels and tires, and a retune, with or without the meth I have yet to decide.

As for the future of the car, it will see a lot of track time, with some daily use thrown in there.
I plan to enter the Redline Time Attack series and possibly the Global time attack series. See how I go.
With a full cage, custom coilovers, and new engine goodies, I hope to get pretty serious into this car.
Will update here of course.

Enjoy The White Evo build!!
DB
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:17 AM

So last night some of my oils showed up for the complete service I plan to give this thing.
I dropped the oil and filter and replaced it with Redline 10w30, which seems to have shut the common noisy lifter problem down. Have read a lot on what oil to put in this thing, and I decided on Redline due to other peoples reviews plus my previous experience with it in other cars Ive owned.
The oil coming out looked pretty good, I am yet to inspect the filter but will plan to this weekend.

As you might tell, I have a little bit of OCD.

Next on the list is a full brake fluid and coolant flush, as well as gearbox and diff oil replacement once those fluids show up. Of course all the common filters will be replaced too.

I also tried to fix the ACD pump fuse with some solder but successfully failed
The new positive fuse terminal connector is on its way and I hope it fixes the ACD issue Im having. If not, the rebuild kit is not far behind it so that's the next step in the plan.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Great story. Keep us posted. We are watching

Hey, if you ever see a white RS rollup on you on the 91fwy, its me
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Great story. Keep us posted. We are watching

Hey, if you ever see a white RS rollup on you on the 91fwy, its me
I will keep my eyes open!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:01 PM

Small victories will win the war.
Got that fuel flap working right with a new....fuel flap springy thing. I bought 3 just in case from STM. Shipping cost more than the part so might as well make it worth it.
The White Evo Build-photo902.jpg
The White Evo Build-photo778.jpg
No other parts arrived yet but hopefully before the weekend so I can get more servicing done.

Obligatory photo of car from different angle.
The White Evo Build-photo31.jpg
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
If you do need to rebuild your pump I would suggest contacting English Racing. I have heard that the rebuild kits on ebay are a waste of time.

Also you could buy a used one to replace it.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by deylag
If you do need to rebuild your pump I would suggest contacting English Racing. I have heard that the rebuild kits on ebay are a waste of time.

Also you could buy a used one to replace it.
I bought one from acd-pumps or something, not on ebay as I had read the ones there are a bit iffy. Worst case I can machine the parts that are wrong in the kit to get by.

Im hoping its the fuse connector on the positive terminal, which is currently blown, that is the issue. I have the new one coming tomorrow. $20 fix
Old Mar 17, 2017, 08:14 AM

Not too much to update on. Had a professional detail yesterday, he spent 7 solid hours on it. The interior looks brand new! I was stoked to see it when I got back after work. 405 Mobile Detailing for those in the Inland Empire, CA.
Will get some proper photos this weekend with my camera but this was what it now looks like after a combined 13hrs worth of detailing in a week.

More of my fluids and filters showed up for me too. Will keep me busy this weekend!
OEM Galore!
Replacing the following:
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Thermostat and gasket
Transmission + T case
Brake + clutch flush and bleed
Coolant flush and replacement
Diff (will restack and replace bushings at same time)

My fuse connector will show up today, so before I go and get Saint Patrick's Day Hammered, I hope I can sneak home and replace that!

Have also started to organize new shoes too. Of course, RPF1s wrapped in Nitto NT05's.
My next little project will be replacing the front lip, repainting brake calipers and valve cover, and tidying up the little ****. Hope to hit a track in April/May.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 05:10 PM

Well shut the front door and call me an uncles monkey. The fuse replacement on the positive terminal worked!!!! A $30 fix saved me from a rebuild or potentially a new ACD pump.
No more 3 green lights!
The White Evo Build-photo970.jpg

Beyond happy with that, and with the quick run around the block the car already handles a thousand times better.
Here's a picture of the old fuse
The White Evo Build-photo242.jpg

The rebuild kit showed up too but I guess I can store that away for a rainy day now.

Luck of the Irish! Happy St Patrick's Day people.
Attached Thumbnails The White Evo Build-photo950.jpg  
Old Mar 17, 2017, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by DecBro
Well shut the front door and call me an uncles monkey.
lmfao
Old Mar 19, 2017, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well shut the front door and call me an uncles monkey. The fuse replacement on the positive terminal worked!!!! A $30 fix saved me from a rebuild or potentially a new ACD pump.
No more 3 green lights!
Attachment 257973

Beyond happy with that, and with the quick run around the block the car already handles a thousand times better.
Here's a picture of the old fuse
Attachment 257975

The rebuild kit showed up too but I guess I can store that away for a rainy day now.

Luck of the Irish! Happy St Patrick's Day people.
Dude, I never thought to check that fusible link for the ACD error. I've had the same issue and have been dreading getting it checked by the dealer. Just ordered a new link. Here's to hoping it fixes mine!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rosuegk7
Dude, I never thought to check that fusible link for the ACD error. I've had the same issue and have been dreading getting it checked by the dealer. Just ordered a new link. Here's to hoping it fixes mine!
Either did Mitsubishi when the previous owner got it check out!
I hope it does man, such a simple fix that seems to be overlooked. Let me know how it goes!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either did Mitsubishi when the previous owner got it check out!
I hope it does man, such a simple fix that seems to be overlooked. Let me know how it goes!
Will do!

Also, you said you were replacing the fuel filter. Do you mean the in-tank filter or is there a camo'd inline filter that I missed?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by rosuegk7
Will do!

Also, you said you were replacing the fuel filter. Do you mean the in-tank filter or is there a camo'd inline filter that I missed?
The in tank one. The fuel 'sock' as they call it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:50 AM

The weekend was well spent servicing the old girl.
Getting a new cabin filter, a coolant flush, new thermostat, air filter clean, brake flush and bleed, and transmission fluid.
Only have the t-case and diff fluids left. Will do timing belt soon too (don't trust no ones word on when this was done, will be doing for peace of mind)

With the new trans fluid the car now shifts so much better. I found it was getting a little stiff when changing gears but with the new OEM fluid it is back to butter. I will run the OEM fluid for 5k and see how I like it, I have read that a lot of people but Redline in the transmission so will try that next. Was such a breeze too. These cars are so easy to work on!

The ACD pump is still operating after the new fuse, it does throw the 3 lights on first start up, but if I turn it off and back on they go away? I must have to clear the codes me thinks.

Ordered some new shoes today, RPF1s with Nitto NT05s. Looking forward to getting some good rubber and a proper alignment on it. The tires I have are toast.

I am enjoying the car so much already with a few people already stopping me at gas stations and grocery stores to have a quick chat about it. I love being back in the car community and hope to meet some of you SoCal folks at a meet sometime soon!

Quick Reply: The White Evo Build