Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo 8 mini-rebuild discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 mini-rebuild discussion

Hello again you crazy turbo loving evo friends! It's been a while since I've posted up here and even longer since I've driven my '03 evo 8 (story below), and since I'm starting to plan out an upcoming project I thought I would start a post and hope for some feedback.

Back story:
I started running into an issue where my car would shut off when coming to a stop, sometimes. It wouldn't happen all the time. When it did, the ecu fuse would be blown. If I replaced it, it would start right up and drive fine again. Lots of wiring diagnoses, tearing things apart, frustration, headache, etc later, I decided the wiring harness was kapoot (sp?)! Here is my theory on what had happened....

I am running stock turbo with big injectors on e85, so I am basically maxing out boost on the stock turbo. I did not put together any type of oil catch can setup and "a shop that will remain nameless" zip tied my oil dipstick down so it wouldn't pop out. So I noticed some oil leaking out behind the timing belt and it seems to be coming from the camshaft seals. This oil got into the wiring by the crank sensor and I believe this is what started causing the issues. Yes, this was a stupid idea and I'm paying the price for it now. Lesson learned.

So I found someone parting out an evo 8 and picked up a new (to me) engine wiring harness. I plan to replace the old one. In addition, my transmission has lost 4th gear. Well, when I would try to shift into 4th at the drag strip at redline, it wouldn't go in. Normal driving would be fine. So I plan to have the trans out for a rebuild. While it's out I plan to install a new clutch setup. I figure having the motor out would be easier to get the wiring harness in and give me a chance to clean up the engine bay as well as clean up the motor.

With that being said, my plans are:
1) Remove motor / trans
2) Send out trans for rebuild
3) Order new clutch kit
4) Install the wiring harness
5) Clean up engine bay / paint
6) Install new timing belt & components
7) Clean up motor / paint
8) Catch can setup

Questions:
1) Do I need to remove the dashboard to install the engine wiring harness?
2) What other "while you're in there" things should I take care of with the motor / trans out?
3) I've been wanting to install LCA poly bushings that I've had in my garage forever. Is this is a good time to do that? Should I drop the front subframe to make it easier?
4) Can I bring the front subframe to a Mitsu dealer for the recall?
5) What type of catch can set up will work for my car?

Last edited by turbotaloon95; Jan 15, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing? :-(
Old Jan 22, 2018, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotaloon95
I started running into an issue where my car would shut off when coming to a stop, sometimes. It wouldn't happen all the time. When it did, the ecu fuse would be blown. If I replaced it, it would start right up and drive fine again. Lots of wiring diagnoses, tearing things apart, frustration, headache, etc later, I decided the wiring harness was kapoot (sp?)! Here is my theory on what had happened....
Sound awful! Hopefully you can just find the wire that is shorting out without changing the entire harness? Have you tried a different ECU?

Questions:
1) Do I need to remove the dashboard to install the engine wiring harness?
Not if you only do the under hood portion of the harness. I think that is an option, but I would need to do some digging.
2) What other "while you're in there" things should I take care of with the motor / trans out?
T-Case fluid swap is the only easy one i see that you didnt mention. Maybe EGR delete?

3) I've been wanting to install LCA poly bushings that I've had in my garage forever. Is this is a good time to do that? Should I drop the front subframe to make it easier?
Should be easier to figure out when the engine it out.
4) Can I bring the front subframe to a Mitsu dealer for the recall?
What Recall?
5) What type of catch can set up will work for my car?
Since you'll be doing timing and such, i'll look for a new valve cover with fittings for a Catch can set-up. Then yes, most any catchcan should work. Shop Facebook Marketplace or the marketplace here on EVOM.

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
turbotaloon95 (Jan 22, 2018)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the reply!

I have not tried a new ECU, but I spent many days trying to narrow down the part of the harness with issues. I even consulted a local shop / expert. End result of all this was to just replace the harness. My existing harness was already hacked up from previous owners. Now is a change to do it correctly.

I've already removed all the emissions equipment, including EGR. Trans and xfer case will get new fluid, so will the motor when it all comes back together.

There was a recall for the evo 8/9 front subframe for rust. Basically they poke at it and if it makes a hole, they replace the whole front subframe. If it does not make a hole, then they glob on some anti rust stuff to prevent it from getting worse.

I'm trying to figure out if the existing ports on the VC are sufficient, or if I should get a bigger AN fitting for the breather tube. I'm fine having someone modify the VC if necessary. I just want to make sure I do this right.