Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo

Old Jul 24, 2018, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo

Thought I'd throw this out here since I've still got my Evo and am expecting to do a lot of back-to-back testing with both cars. This has been a dream car of mine for a while, as it is the last naturally aspirated, high revving, and decent looking M3. I didn't search for very long to find one with the specs I was looking for - 2011+ Alpine White, Coupe, CF roof, with the ZCP package and otherwise as close to stripper as I could get it. I wanted the cloth interior but that is a bit of a unicorn, so I settled for grey leather. No heated seats, no idrive, no nothing here. 26k miles on the clock, so still pretty young. Bearings will need to be done but I bought myself some time. The car is in great shape, and I have been prepping it for autox in Solo FS.

Seems like a lot of former Evo guys hop into these cars, which is interesting. It's a solid car, great engine, and a very balanced chassis. I've only autoxed it once now, and the biggest difference between this car vs my Mini and my Evo is that I can't hammer the throttle like I did in the past. It is going to take some seat time to get used to throttle control. I'd say the Evo is around 1s quicker on any given 50s course, and much more confident and stable through corners and fast transitions. The Evo is also just plain more nimble (300lbs lighter) more raw, visceral, and gives a better impression of speed and what the car is doing. The M3 is physically large, and has this feel like it's going to go away from me in fast transitions, but I will get used to it. I'm also posting here because the M3 forums are relatively dead or not very helpful. Not a lot of DIYers and fixers on there for the most part, mostly filled with BMW is amazing and they know what they were doing kind of discussions. Hoping this will also keep me active on these forums! My Evo build is still ongoing but the updates are pretty much on the blog only. Looking forward to racing these cars back to back!

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-a2lpzfo.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-nopq76x.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-jf8sc7i.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-diunupi.png
Old Jul 24, 2018, 03:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What tires are on it now? I know those cars get a lot faster with suspension and tire upgrades. Especially if it has factory Michelins on it, an upgrade to something in the 200tw category is a big bump in performance.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice car man!! I have always loved m3’s ,I have owned 2 e30 m3’s and a 97 m3 sedan looking forward to hearing more about your car and mods as you do them.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What tires are on it now? I know those cars get a lot faster with suspension and tire upgrades. Especially if it has factory Michelins on it, an upgrade to something in the 200tw category is a big bump in performance.
it's got 275/35-18 RE71Rs in all 4 corners. Wheels are different widths though, 18x9 ET30 and 18x10 ET25 Apex ARC8's. Stock class rules...

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Nice car man!! I have always loved m3’s ,I have owned 2 e30 m3’s and a 97 m3 sedan looking forward to hearing more about your car and mods as you do them.
Appreciate it, thanks.

I was telling Eric, I swapped in new pads (Ferodo DS2500s) and without changing anything else, the brake pedal is softer. I bedded and bled, still soft. On a whim, I swapped back to OEM pads, and lo and behold the pedal was stiffer again. It's a bizarre thing but for some reason this set up is just strange. No shims or anything to speak of here, they match in size and shape and they clip in correctly. I am noticing a good amount of caliper flex however. It twists and moves about 1-2mm, which is just bizarre.

I'm not used to single piston floating caliper designs on performance cars, but this design of this one seems particularly strange. One retaining clip on the outside, and 2 slider pins that double as bolts to hold the caliper onto the carrier. Even on my lowly corolla, the bolts that hold the caliper onto the carrier are separate from the sliders. i THINK this is the cause of my soft pedal, but it doesn't explain why the OEM pads give a stiffer pedal. Maybe there's too much material for the caliper to effectively grab on with the new pads? Any input would be welcome here... things are much more straightforward on our fixed brembos
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
I know a few friends who have swapped their slides pins for brass ones and that's helped with flex/uneven pad wear.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I know a few friends who have swapped their slides pins for brass ones and that's helped with flex/uneven pad wear.
i was considering it. still am i guess, but not legal for FS
Old Jul 25, 2018, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Sam once again new car looks awesome! Great purchase but don't forget about your evo And remember I called dibs when you jump ship!

I still don't understand what is going on with your brakes. How thin were the old pads compared to the new ones? I mean in general the more material the higher likelihood of more "squish" yes technical term. But even so DS2500s should not feel compressible at all.

You know me I always attribute soft pedal to air and in your case user error but I guess given that you swapped back old pads and it was stiff again then I guess that rules it out and points the blame on the new pads. Can you post a picture of the two pads side by side? I wonder if theyre cut differently and its hanging up or something? You always have the strangest issues, lol! Common denominator = you but in this case it might not actually be you haha!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Sam once again new car looks awesome! Great purchase but don't forget about your evo And remember I called dibs when you jump ship!

I still don't understand what is going on with your brakes. How thin were the old pads compared to the new ones? I mean in general the more material the higher likelihood of more "squish" yes technical term. But even so DS2500s should not feel compressible at all.

You know me I always attribute soft pedal to air and in your case user error but I guess given that you swapped back old pads and it was stiff again then I guess that rules it out and points the blame on the new pads. Can you post a picture of the two pads side by side? I wonder if theyre cut differently and its hanging up or something? You always have the strangest issues, lol! Common denominator = you but in this case it might not actually be you haha!
LOL.

there was a decent amount of life on them. swapped more because the braking force wasn't good. pedal feel, excellent. the oem pads have tapered edges but i dont think that would impact feel much.. though i guess it could, if different parts of the pad are seeing the braking force.. though that's tapered where etc. the oem pads didn't see any taper.

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-pm51nya.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-fpkbwah.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-zzztglg.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-lxqvrzg.jpg

Kyoo's E92 M3 Build for Solo-o56e4ly.jpg
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I'd think if anything tapered pads would have more compression than non tapered. Maybe its just me but looking at that first picture you posted it appears as though the new pads are longer than the OEM pads. I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

The tapered edges are for noise reduction. They don't effect performance.

The drastically different pedal stiffness with a pad change is odd. I've never had that before.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

think it's just shadows, it's about the same. i'm actually starting to wonder if those nubs on the backing plate are making contact with anything. i don't think they are but i don't have a good enough picture here to tell. they prob aren't there's enough clearance from the back of the pad to the piston "housing," i'm reaching for answers here.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah agreed. I was just saying from a theoretical perspective you'd think the taperd pads would have more compression. And its funny maybe its just my luck but I know the tapers are to reduce noise but I always managed to have a rock or some crap end up getting lodged right in that taper which would emit a nice screeching sound. Quite ironic lol!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

not the nubs.. i'm pretty much out of ideas and more or less accepting that the ferodo ds2500s feel like **** compared to the stock pads, i guess
Old Jul 25, 2018, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

BMW brakes are pretty good.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks nice man. I have always loved e92 m3s. I have an e82 n55 1 series myself. BMWs are such awesome cars to drive.

Search this Thread