Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

FF Xona Rotor 7864 -

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 06:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MrLith
Very nice, will be interesting to see how this performs I'm guessing this is the original 7864 spec, not the 7864S version with the new UHF turbines?
Correct! It’s not the fancy UHF, that will possibly another route down the road. Either way, this is my first XR turbo so I’m pumped to see what it does!
Old May 21, 2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by EVOFans
Is there any reason to run twin wastegate when your turbine housing is single scroll?
It’s for optimal boost control - that’s how ETS does it with all their v-band based manifolds.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:28 AM

Got some more work done on the car this weekend. All that’s left is mounting/plumbing the regulator and putting in the new fuel pump.

I was able to fenangle a few things around and get the upper intercooler pipe to fit without modification, so that’s good.

I decided to go with the new Walbro 525 fuel pump, we keep a crap ton of them in stock at work so I’m just going to grab one and replace the F90000267 pump with it and see how it goes!

I still need to find out what clutch is in the car. The last thing I want is for it to start slipping once I get it on the dyno -_-

Old Jun 7, 2019, 06:08 AM

Here's another update!

So, I tried to load the basemap onto the car, but my computer sucks. My buddy is going to come help me with it this weekend.

But, I got the FueLab regulator mounted and plumbed, wired in the Mac 4 port, bled the cooling system and tidied up some other odds and ends so it's ready for testing now!

I was bumping the car over to make sure there was fuel pressure and it started (still has the old tune for stock injectors and MAP sensor - but now has Omni 4 BAR and the FIC 1650's). That surprised the hell out of me. I turned it off instantly so it wasn't dumping fuel into the cylinders. But I feel like that's a good sign

I need to figure out what clutch is in it - pedal feel is harder than OEM but looking in the inspection cover, it looks to be OEM. There's no coloring on the pressure plate, so I'm assuming it could possibly be an Exedy stage 2 or something of the sort. I'm going to get it on a lift and try to spin it over by hand and see if I'll be able to see a part number or anything.

The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Jun 17, 2019)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:09 AM

Well, the basemap is loaded and the car is alive!

Started having a terrible oil leak at the turbo drain. So I decided I'd just make a new drain line and then somehow an Exedy twin disc showed up

I got it used off of a guy on Facebook and I'm going to rebuild it but it should hold what I'm looking to make at this point.

So all that's left is to make a couple revisions on the tune (IAC was turned way up and idled at like 2500 RPM's) and reload a new MAP, put in the Hellcat pump and then do the clutch and we will see where we're at.

The following 2 users liked this post by ncdirtrider249:
EVO196 (Jun 17, 2019), MAX EVO (Jun 25, 2019)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 04:37 PM

Good news, the car is running! But it won’t make over 30psi of fuel pressure. So I gotta figure that out. That will be this weekend’s project, along with building a new oil drain and ordering more car parts!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:39 AM

So here's a fun update:

Things come in threes, fours, fives...tens...such is life of modifying a 10 year old performance car.

Fixed the fuel pressure issue, that's all good, car is running fantastic! But, clutch is meh and now the water pump started leaking (only about two years old).

SO. Now, I'm going to go ahead and do cams/springs while I'm there. Get my clutch rebuilt to put in and then my tires are shot. So I'm going to put a new set of meats on, but I don't want to put tires back on the stock wheels. So I'm going to go ahead and do a wheel/tire setup.

Needless to say, it'll probably be a little while before the car hits the dyno. But I might as well go for some power and see how the stock block takes it. I'm going to swap out my standard ARP's for a set of 625+ head studs and try not to window the block too bad. But we shall see
Old Sep 2, 2019, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Good build and beautiful car! I'm thinking about the xona right now.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by siccgsx
Nice! Good build and beautiful car! I'm thinking about the xona right now.

Thanks man! They're remarkable units, that's for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 09:31 AM

So here's a fun update.

The Evo has been put on the back burner for a little bit. I just bought a house!

So a few weeks into getting into the house, I noticed a pretty steady oil leak coming from the turbo. So, upon further investigation we ran into a few issues.

The restrictor in the oil feed line wasn't big enough, the drain wasn't the best setup and oil started getting places where it shouldn't have. So I wound up making a new -10AN drain setup, new -6AN coolant feed/return lines for the turbo and added in the FP oil restrictor/filter. All seems well at this point so I'm glad I caught it. And best of all, no leaks!

Then, I changed back to the stock throttle body. The Full-Blown throttle body doesn't have a BISS. And since this car isn't an all out race car just yet, it really isn't needed for what I'm doing with the car at this current point. So back to stock, and the intercooler piping fits soooo much better.

So next on the agenda before dyno time is new wheels and tires, then to put in my new GrimmSpeed EBCS!

I did also install my new coilovers -the Silver's NeoMax. These things fit perfect and ride better than stock, I'm excited to see how they handle when I get to play with the car finally. A couple of my buddy's came by to hang while I put the coilovers on. The Octane Blue Evo X is a stock engine with a new FP Black on it and FBO otherwise, and the Cosmis Blue Evo X has a sleeved Mazworx 2.0, MAP turbo kit and other goodies.

Old Feb 18, 2020, 08:39 AM

Here's a small update!

I got my hands on a set of Advan RSII's from a local friend. One was beat up pretty bad from hitting a concrete object at speed. But luckily it was able to be fixed!

So now all that's left is finishing the install on my fuel pump, getting the boost controller hooked up and an alignment. Then hope it doesn't blow up

SoSoEVO (Feb 18, 2020)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
The Blue by you color is my favorite I wished they made it in the Evo 9. Your car looks amazing keep up the good work
Old Feb 20, 2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by SoSoEVO
The Blue by you color is my favorite I wished they made it in the Evo 9. Your car looks amazing keep up the good work
Thanks man! I really appreciate it! It has come a looooong way. Still a long way to go haha
SoSoEVO (Feb 20, 2020)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 01:05 PM

New update:

Car still hasn't been tuned. I've been stock piling parts to get ready for it. I'm expecting within the next month or two. Hopefully.

I decided to do cams and a couple other odds and ends. One of my good buddies back home is a fabricator and made me a fancy Ti charge pipe. That turned into a fiasco because the BOV flange that was sent wasn't machined properly and the BOV didn't fit. So I had to get a new flange, send it back and have it fixed. I decided to go ahead and have some Ti dump tubes made while he was there. I just had a local fabricator make some SS dump tubes because the dump tubes from ETS broke So I'm waiting on those to come in. I wound up getting a killer deal on a set of the Brian Crower 276 cams and single valve springs. I also ordered up one of the fancy under drive water pump pulley's from Dan at EvoSpec. Then lastly is to change the mystery clutch out and put in my Comp 6 puck and ACT flywheel. So things are coming along, just playing the waiting game.

SoSoEVO (Aug 31, 2020)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The setup looks amazing. I'm considering going with a Xona FF setup as well after selling my fp zero. Either 8264 or 8269.
I must have missed it, What FF manifold is that? Is that the ets manifold?

Quick Reply: FF Xona Rotor 7864 -