Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dissembling my TC now - experts please help (sorry long tech help post)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Dissembling my TC now - experts please help (sorry long tech help post)

Ok so I'll go back over the symptoms, I started to get a noticeable whine on decel and a very slight whine as I drove normal. Upon dropping my TC oil, I found out I had under filled the TC case by about 200 mil, about a third less for about a year. The oil was dark grey too and have tiny flecks of grey color through it. I refilled the TC case back to normal properly and went for a run, now no change, the decel whine was still there. So I dropped the oil again and more grey was evident in the oil. Ok so i decided to pull it down, its now apart on my bench and looking the moving parts it looks normal, the bearings all turn smoothly, i thought i was going to see something outstandingly damaged, the ring and pinion gears look slightly worn, slightly shiny but no chips or noticeable teeth damage.

Next I have to pull the pinion apart, there are bearings inside a shaft which is locked in by a large nut which has punched indents on it stopping it from undoing, which are hard to punch out anyone done this before and have any tips?

I'm going to need a 15 inch shifter to get that large nut off too and a bearing pulling kit to cut those bears cages off the shafts and pull them off. Seen youtubes on how to do this.

Has anyone been here before and got any tips?

There's a round cage with lots of teethed plates in it, held in by a ring bottom left hand of pic below, i have inspected these plates and they look ok, is that the ACD diff? its a Evo 9 ACD too. There's a bearing on the back behind the cage which I am not sure how to get too.

Anyway here's some pics, I am thinking its not rocket science, some moving part is wearing, if its not the ring and pinion teeth it'll have to be a bearing, so I assume i'll just have to buy a rebuild kit and replace all the bearings and o rings and seals, that's another thing once i crack the case so i need to replace the o rings and seals or will just new bearings do the trick?

thanks in advance with any help

got pics below

Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Clean all of the oil and stuff off the gears, then try getting good lighting and taking pics without the flash. They don't look too good right now though. And the oil color, as well as metal in the oil is a solid indicator that the gears are done.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Going off topic here but does anyone know if the internals of the Non-ACD transfer can be swapped into the ACD transfer?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-non-acd.html

Question answered.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Clean all of the oil and stuff off the gears, then try getting good lighting and taking pics without the flash. They don't look too good right now though. And the oil color, as well as metal in the oil is a solid indicator that the gears are done.

Old Aug 20, 2016, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

I need pics of the other side of the ring gear.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I need pics of the other side of the ring gear.
when you say "other side" of the ring, do you mean the other side of the teeth?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 09:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes