Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2024 SCCA SOLO - XA Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
2024 SCCA SOLO - XA Discussion

XA is blowing up and seems to be the perfect playground for Evos.

Since I like to be an open book on all the things going on with my car and the setup so anyone else can try and replicate, I'll try to spill the secret sauce attempts here. I have some crazy ideas I'm working on that could be pretty controversial or at least attention grabbing. I thought about just keeping it secret but Id rather put it out there for critique and feedback. If someone out there has already put thought or work into any of them, there could be some collaboration potential as well.

Here are a few of the vague ideas I can elaborate on in future postings. These are all things I'm currently working on or have started analysis.
  • Front SLA
    • I have geometry sorted, I need to solve a few design issues with over or under constraint relative to shock travel and upper control arm travel.
    • This works specifically with the SSB Uprights.
  • Rear active toe
    • First iteration is pneumatic and basically out/in with varying speed.
      • Control I can do either with an arduino and trigged for various things through the Motec since it has steering angle, speed, throttle, etc.
    • Electric version is also half figured out but required force limits speed to 6-7mm/s and an electric brake for holding needs to fit in the small area I have.
      • Electric version also gives some interesting control in rear steering angles for yaw control off and on throttle. Or how about illegal F1-style tire warming with massive toe-in/out
  • Inerter parallel with shocks
    • I'm collecting all the whitepages I can on this to see if I can sort out the math behind a basic implementation to control hopping.
    • Mounting in my case would be a separate unit mounted between control arm or swaybar to a solid chassis point.
    • I also wonder if its possible to use only a rear inerter to counter hop.
  • Adjustable rear lower control arm
    • With the active toe, being able to flip a cam and change spring rate by 10% will make testing quite a bit more convenient. Will also give me AutoX vs Track or Dry vs Wet settings.
    • Close to finished with this design. Just need to focus on it for a day or two.

I have other ongoings with weight reduction on the front but that's still just basic stuff that may or may not get done. Weight reduction is something I try to work on when I'm out of other big idea testing.

Oh, and I have the XS tesla as well. Front upright prototypes I should finish maybe next week to test. Then need to pull apart rear to scan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
LV///R (Sep 27, 2023), ViciousLSD (Sep 27, 2023)
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 390 Likes on 335 Posts
Did you address your fueling issue? running less fuel is probably the biggest weight reduction I'm interested in and I'm hoping we got some idea around this
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
Did you address your fueling issue? running less fuel is probably the biggest weight reduction I'm interested in and I'm hoping we got some idea around this
I improved it but still there it seems. Had a few blips at the last event but I need to check if I kinked the siphon crossover tube.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Are you not planning on returning to SM, Dallas? Less rules = more fun?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Terror Rising
Are you not planning on returning to SM, Dallas? Less rules = more fun?
Nope, no plans on coming back to SM once I make these changes. Hypothetically I could reverse things still with a little work, but I want to keep pushing forward outside of the SM ruleset.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 02:14 PM
EvoM Guru

We have one more chance to go to solonats before Dallas breaks the street tire pax lol
Old Sep 27, 2023, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
weight reduction...in XA? We run a spare tire and 1/2 a tank to make min weight.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
weight reduction...in XA? We run a spare tire and 1/2 a tank to make min weight.
Weight reduction of course comes with ideal weight addition :P

I could get down around 2800 without too much drama but a lot of that would come from the rear. But 3050 or so with the wife mean I have a lot of room for adding toys

Last edited by Dallas J; Sep 27, 2023 at 10:37 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by griceiv
I dont want to lose creature comforts yet. it's quite problematic to keep a dedicated racecar in my current housing situation.
I'm not exactly sure where i can lose the weight except maybe with those tube subframes
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I dont want to lose creature comforts yet. it's quite problematic to keep a dedicated racecar in my current housing situation.
I'm not exactly sure where i can lose the weight except maybe with those tube subframes
This is my argument back to people when everyone is talking about how extreme and un-streetable XA would be compared to SM. The min weights alone would mean being able to keep various comforts and make less compromises for weight sake. At least for Evos, a 2.0 SM Evo can be 200lbs lighter.

CAM I think should have higher weight ratings so people aren't trying to do crazy things for weight reduction as well.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 09:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
This is my argument back to people when everyone is talking about how extreme and un-streetable XA would be compared to SM. The min weights alone would mean being able to keep various comforts and make less compromises for weight sake. At least for Evos, a 2.0 SM Evo can be 200lbs lighter.

CAM I think should have higher weight ratings so people aren't trying to do crazy things for weight reduction as well.
Since Miatas and 911s want to be in XA maybe aero/full race car allowances and tire width would be simpler for splitting the class. I dont mind where I end up either way
Old Oct 12, 2023, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

whats the oil cooler/fan for?

Old Oct 16, 2023, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
just makes me laugh since the things i've been asking for in STU and for an X class for the last 10 years has been right on the money
Old Apr 30, 2024, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Congrats on the National Tour win @Dallas J team. I hope to get an idea if the M3P is in my future so I'll be keeping track Cameron Goode is already kicking all our butts locally
How are you dealing with batt charging?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks!

I'm not on any kind of fully prepped setup but the balance now is pretty great. I've just about killed the 275 A052s pinched on a 9" wheel and that's the current biggest limitation. But with them we get pretty even amounts of over and understeer.

Ive got KW coilovers and made adapters to change springs so now 14k front and 1200 lb/in rear bringing things to about 2hz/2.2hz. Also running UP front/rear swaybars and a rear camber arm I made.

Then of course the billet front uprights we're testing. I get all my camber from them.

Working on a specific upper control arm to run the deep offset upper mount and 305s on stock fenders.

I think the Tesla is an easy car to build to 80% but you're pretty much stuck there. Its my opinion the TM3 cant currently be built to be better than what we can build an Evo to be. But the Evo build will be much harder.

For charging.... I dragged my house backup gen along.

View this post on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Apr 30, 2024)