Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo no start

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2024, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
evo no start

So I have this weird issue that just happened. I got my new HTP 6466 on the car everything ready to go to be tuned so I go out put a full tank of pump 93 in the tank and of course my last tune hates pump gas and has a hard time starting. I get the car fired up and get it home to park for a few days while I wait on my tuning apt.

Day of the apt guy remotes in and car will not start. Ok put my old map in there no start. Ok wtf is going on. Tuner gets frustrated that I'm basically wasting his time and ends session. Ok great now wtf is wrong with this thing. Fast forward to a week later when I have a short period of time like I do everyday to look at it.

No fuel pressure. Ok great 2 brand new 525s go in tank that job is done. Try to start the car pump primes no start. OK wtf so I dig into it a little more. Comes out to be that I have no spark, no fuel but my pump primes. Any suggestions? I looked to see if there was any blown fuses and nothing, It is odd to me that I have the pump prime but my plugs are dry after I crank the car over. And what confuses me even more is no spark at all and all I did was put pump gas in it and drove it home. I am thinking maybe crank trigger but I see rpm when I crank the car over so idk if I can eliminate that. Thoughts?
Old May 20, 2024, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Tuner gets frustrated that I'm basically wasting his time and ends session
Sounds like you need to find another tuner lol. Unless he is tuning for free, that throws red flags to me.

In regards to the no fuel/spark. That is odd. Especially since it was working before. Something electrical is definitely going on relating to spark/ignition. Could be a crank sensor maybe? Double check to make sure all connections are not loose. Fuel pump is priming, but injectors aren't getting signal likely to pulse/provide fuel.

Hard to read your mod list from my phone, but are you on speed density?
Old May 20, 2024, 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
Sounds like you need to find another tuner lol. Unless he is tuning for free, that throws red flags to me.

In regards to the no fuel/spark. That is odd. Especially since it was working before. Something electrical is definitely going on relating to spark/ignition. Could be a crank sensor maybe? Double check to make sure all connections are not loose. Fuel pump is priming, but injectors aren't getting signal likely to pulse/provide fuel.

Hard to read your mod list from my phone, but are you on speed density?
Lol I hate that and yes I am speed density. This car made over 1200 to the wheel on one ethanol r and like I said it ran a week before I parked it and I even started it up a few days later to keep the battery up and running cause it likes to die (stupid battery). So with that said car sat 3 days and then when I put new tune in car doesnt want to start at all. So Idk what else to look at. I don't know exact rpm #'s but I do remember seeing liek 188 rpms that sticks out for some reason. So that tells me there is rpm and sensor is reading.I don't know though maybe in the Haltech I shoulod try using the evo 9 crank trigger and see what happens

Old May 20, 2024, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

So I just check my rpm and its getting crank signal it got up to 288 rpms and then my battery started to die so its getting signal from the crank

Old May 20, 2024, 05:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok this is starting to **** me off. I did find my multimeter, it was right where I didn't leave it for whatever reason. Anyways I have continuity from ground to all the ground pins on the ign1a coil (# 1 coil) and Idk what the voltage is suppose to be to the power side but I do have .008 with key on so there is voltage there. I am at a loss idk what to do. I tried to crank it over again and pulled a plug and plug is dry but I can smell gas so idk how that is. I am starting to get pissed.
Old May 20, 2024, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 403 Likes on 343 Posts
I switched from haltech to stock ecu a couple of weeks ago, and it wont start. I checked all the fuses and batt connection but it still wont catch. I switched on my extra batt, tried flooring the pedal, released tank pressure and added fuel into the tank and finally it started catching then dying. I think it finally ran on the 5th try.
I noticed that on my SD tune the idle table >500 are zeroes so I put some values in there. that seem to help when feathering the clutch and the idle is dipping below 900
Old May 21, 2024, 01:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by CurseDSM
Ok this is starting to **** me off. I did find my multimeter, it was right where I didn't leave it for whatever reason. Anyways I have continuity from ground to all the ground pins on the ign1a coil (# 1 coil) and Idk what the voltage is suppose to be to the power side but I do have .008 with key on so there is voltage there. I am at a loss idk what to do. I tried to crank it over again and pulled a plug and plug is dry but I can smell gas so idk how that is. I am starting to get pissed.
You idiot you measured the wrong pin. So the .008v I was measuring is off the ecu. I need to check voltage off pin E off of the coils not A. Will update after work to see what the voltages are.
Old May 21, 2024, 01:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I switched from haltech to stock ecu a couple of weeks ago, and it wont start. I checked all the fuses and batt connection but it still wont catch. I switched on my extra batt, tried flooring the pedal, released tank pressure and added fuel into the tank and finally it started catching then dying. I think it finally ran on the 5th try.
I noticed that on my SD tune the idle table >500 are zeroes so I put some values in there. that seem to help when feathering the clutch and the idle is dipping below 900
At this point the fuel has been 3 weeks old and it has a full tank. That is the problem. I do not think its bad gas being I can't get it to start even with starting fluid. Something isn't right somewhere. Old tune wont start the car and new base map wont start the car. That means it has to be mechanical or something to that nature. The lack of spark and fuel is an odd one. Cam sensor would be my next guess being I get signal from my crank sensor. But at this time I don't just wanna throw money at it guessing ya know.
Old May 21, 2024, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
immobilizer code wrong for some reason?
Old May 21, 2024, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
immobilizer code wrong for some reason?
I run a Haltech there is no immobilizer.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

while doing a pull on haltech, my car popped a fuse apparently (&@#!!%$! busy street). its one of the 'engine' 10A fuses under the dash (i know you checked yours already). the shop said its the fuse to the ecu and that it popped because the o2 sensor was drawing a lot of current. everything worked, the haltech unit even has its power light on, but it just wont start
Old May 21, 2024, 10:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Worth checking that 10A ignition fuse interior fuse box. It will no spark/no fuel. Had this issue after my rebuild.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
while doing a pull on haltech, my car popped a fuse apparently (&@#!!%$! busy street). its one of the 'engine' 10A fuses under the dash (i know you checked yours already). the shop said its the fuse to the ecu and that it popped because the o2 sensor was drawing a lot of current. everything worked, the haltech unit even has its power light on, but it just wont start
Originally Posted by Kevin.
Worth checking that 10A ignition fuse interior fuse box. It will no spark/no fuel. Had this issue after my rebuild.
Actually I'm glad you guys said that I did not check that fuse. I did everything under the sun under the hood and what nots and totally forgot about that. Good call guys. I will check that when I get home from work and report back.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (May 21, 2024)
Old May 21, 2024, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

20A it lol
Old May 21, 2024, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Fuse is good not the problem

Quick Reply: evo no start