Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Dynojet run files should be required when a graph is posted.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynojet run files should be required when a graph is posted.

Because the dynojet software has a run viewer readily available to the general public, it should be a requirement that whenever a dynojet graph is posted the run file should accompany it. This would allow people to overlay runs from different mods/tuners to view the subtle or not so subtle differences that may present themselves.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love to always see the run files, too, but how would this work? Would they attack the WinPep file, then people would right click and save as? I've only ever uploaded/viewed image files using the Manage Attachments button - I've never thought about attaching other file types...

Here's a test. I guess we'd just have to zip them, since only certain file types are allowed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
MachV-26psi-alky1.zip (1.8 KB, 64 views)
Old Jan 20, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

that woked fine. I can provide a tutorial on the download and operation of the winpep software if the mods agree to this proposal.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Many people dont have access to the winpep files. Since i do all of my own dynos, i on the other hand keep them all. Its helpful for charting and comparing graphs
Old Jan 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Booztd 3
Many people dont have access to the winpep files. Since i do all of my own dynos, i on the other hand keep them all. Its helpful for charting and comparing graphs
Anyone who dynos on a Dynojet has access to them. They either just need to take a thumb drive or have the files emailed to them. Most people just don't know to ask - I know I had no clue the first couple of times until someone showed me WinPep and now I'm hooked!
Old Jan 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Our opinion is that you the customer paid for those run files so if you want them there yours. We always provide them when requested. Its much better than the graph and would allow for more realistic comparisons.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, this would be cool. It would be great to have a huge database of numbers based on mods and conditions. Unfortunately at least 50% of the people on here can't even upload attachments And I'm sure 85% don't ask the shop for the dyno files. They just get the printout and that's all they want. We should definitely encourage it, though.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You can still attach them as files as long as they're within the file limit requirement (100k). How large are they generally? Making them mandatory might be discouraging though.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
You can still attach them as files as long as they're within the file limit requirement (100k). How large are they generally? Making them mandatory might be discouraging though.
I don't think the file type is allowed - only these are allowed: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. That's why I zipped mine above when testing it.

It says "invalid file type" when I try to attach the *.drf file, but zipping works. They are only 3k unzipped, so that's not an issue. I suppose people could change them to .doc files and upload them, but that would get complicated, since people would need to download them then change the filetype back to .drf.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I don't think the file type is allowed - only these are allowed: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip. That's why I zipped mine above when testing it.

It says "invalid file type" when I try to attach the *.drf file, but zipping works. They are only 3k unzipped, so that's not an issue. I suppose people could change them to .doc files and upload them, but that would get complicated, since people would need to download them then change the filetype back to .drf.
That's some annoying crap. Hm. Maybe someone can find a friendly file conversion or something. I've never seen the files, so I don't really know what they look like. Is it essentially just a spreadsheet of data? What software does it require to view? The file in your zip just looked garbled, but I'm sure that's because it opened in the default wordpad. I've had my car on the dyno at lest 3 times, and never took the file or a chart.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
That's some annoying crap. Hm. Maybe someone can find a friendly file conversion or something. I've never seen the files, so I don't really know what they look like. Is it essentially just a spreadsheet of data? What software does it require to view? The file in your zip just looked garbled, but I'm sure that's because it opened in the default wordpad. I've had my car on the dyno at lest 3 times, and never took the file or a chart.
Good questions, as I'm sure this is new info for many people, but I doubt many people will read this section. Go to this site:

http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/software.php

You download and install the free version of WinPep7, then the file I uploaded opens right up inside that new application. The filetype I sent will only work for people who have WinPep installed. Once you have it, it's awesome, because you can upload, manipulate, and compare anyone's Dynojets files with your own. The overlay is so imnportant, because it shows differences in area under the curve...
Old Jan 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Once you have it, it's awesome, because you can upload, manipulate, and compare anyone's Dynojets files with your own. The overlay is so imnportant, because it shows differences in area under the curve...
This is a great point and i think if this website is to head in a more technical instead of a subjective direction this rule is critical. i will be calling mustang dyno on monday to see if they will put out a run viewer.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Testing... this was really easy.

Attached Thumbnails Dynojet run files should be required when a graph is posted.-warr-winpep-test.jpg  
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At a minimum, we could post links to the Dynojet Winpep viewing software in our signatures and in posts on relevant threads as a way to encourage folks to download the software.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
At a minimum, we could post links to the Dynojet Winpep viewing software in our signatures...
done

Quick Reply: Dynojet run files should be required when a graph is posted.