Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Thoroughly disgusted

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the fact that this comes up quite a bit should lead to the conclusion that the current system is broken. It seems quite obvious to me. You've instilled the rules for posting in the classified section based on attempting to avoid scam artists. There's a multitude of ways this can be done, and not all of them have to come at the expense of honest members....

Please tell me, as I don't understand: Why does a post with the username sitting on the VIN not work?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll let someone else answer your actual question, but will respond to the ideas in the first paragraph.

You need to recognize that you have a lot less information than we do. You also need to recognize that for every member who either complains about the rules and/or tries to get around them, there are myriad members who accept the rules as they are, maybe asking once that they be bent for them and then accepting that they will not. In almost every case, one warning is sufficient; the rule-breaking stops and all carries on happily. You are concluding that the system is broken based on your experience. That's fine, of course, but it's limited to a single user's perspective. We think of the system as being the best possible option to a difficult problem. Again, for each person like you, there are ninety-nine who don't have a problem. And the idea of dropping our guard for the one-in-one-hundred just doesn't make sense to us.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Dude,you don't have to agree with the rule. They are asking that yoy follow it. Just PM the guy.

I'm not a sponsor for the site, but that doesn't stop me from PMing people who are local potential buyers. (Sorry mods, its true. I end up with maybe 1 sale every other month or so, lol.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I'll just leave this here. The argument resurfaces about once a year. In the linked thread, note the resounding call for more stringent requirements. Only a small fraction of people share your opinion, and they almost always get past their misguided perception to become upstanding forum members.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/si...-modified.html
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, he's been on a posting binge (and has gotten much better about content), so he can hawk his stuff in the Marketplace now.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Actually, he's been on a posting binge (and has gotten much better about content), so he can hawk his stuff in the Marketplace now.
Thats what I was about to ask. What does it matter to the OP anyways. He has the minimum needed posts. Put the item(s) up for sale.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:50 AM

The point I'm hoping to convey is that there is a better answer that would work for everyone. (and make the moderators lives easier to boot)

The reason things in life change is that one person eventually realizes there's a problem with the way things are currently done, or comes up with an idea about a better way to do so. If no one questioned the way life was, as we live it, we'd still have gender inequality and slavery.

I have no qualms about PMing the poster directly, but still am confused as to why responding to his thread (in which he's stating he's looking for a vehicle) with a description of my vehicle for sale would be seen as unhelpful, or against the rules... and warrant the issuing of an infraction. I'll refrain from doing so if that's what you'd prefer. I understand that you're hoping to protect your forum members from evil scam artists from Nigeria, but really in the end, you have no control over this. Anyone that' in the market for a car should be doing their due-diligence.

If I was a scammer, and I wanted to take some money from un-suspecting members, I'd simply hack a few people's accounts here that already have a long standing history and sell small parts to a lot of people. Your system in no way prevents this from happening currently to my understanding.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cordell_pearce
I have very little time these days. I figured posting my car for an enthusiast here on the forums would be an ideal match, as it's in pristine shape, and well taken care of. .
I'm impressed he still managed slip in another plug in for his car
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wingless
I'm impressed he still managed slip in another plug in for his car
I was just trying to point out that this is the place you'd find people who appreciate a car that's taken care of... (and would know what a well taken care of EVO looks like, and values it)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
The point I'm hoping to convey is that there is a better answer that would work for everyone. (and make the moderators lives easier to boot)

The reason things in life change is that one person eventually realizes there's a problem with the way things are currently done, or comes up with an idea about a better way to do so. If no one questioned the way life was, as we live it, we'd still have gender inequality and slavery.

I have no qualms about PMing the poster directly, but still am confused as to why responding to his thread (in which he's stating he's looking for a vehicle) with a description of my vehicle for sale would be seen as unhelpful, or against the rules... and warrant the issuing of an infraction. I'll refrain from doing so if that's what you'd prefer. I understand that you're hoping to protect your forum members from evil scam artists from Nigeria, but really in the end, you have no control over this. Anyone that' in the market for a car should be doing their due-diligence.

If I was a scammer, and I wanted to take some money from un-suspecting members, I'd simply hack a few people's accounts here that already have a long standing history and sell small parts to a lot of people. Your system in no way prevents this from happening currently to my understanding.
Please, read the thread I posted before responding. What you're not getting is that your idea is in no way new or better. We manage this site with a viewpoint only other insiders would understand, and try to do what is best for our site and our members. Making suggestions is fine, but what you've done is neither constructive nor appropriate. The site rules are fine. If you want to revolutionize the way forum business is run, you could always start your own.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
What people fail to realize is that we delete posts created by people attempting to ***** their way into the marketplace.

This does a few things; first it helps to reduce people looking to scam EvoM members and second it's to help ensure that the people posting are actually contributing to the community on some level.

Sure it's no guarantee, but the mod staff does their best to help foster these positive, useful posts. "Nice car, bro!" posts aren't contributing anything and in essence, they only show that someone wants to either use the marketplace to profit off of the community by slanging their wares or just to buy that random part they need.

The marketplace is a perk, a bonus offered to EvoM members that have helped contribute to the community on some level and should be considered as such. Being able to use it is a privilege and not a right, which means it can be taken away at any time if abused.

Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I was just trying to point out that this is the place you'd find people who appreciate a car that's taken care of... (and would know what a well taken care of EVO looks like, and values it)
But what about the flip-side? If given the choice between buying a car from someone who obeys the rules to which he or she has agreed vs buying a car from someone who breaks said rules, which one would you go for, all else being equal?

Just something to think about before making your serial rule-breaking public.

Oh, wait...

tee hee
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
All I hear is:

"I want to sell my car to the broad audience of EvoM, but give nothing back in return to the site or the community."

Really though, if you don't like the rules here you can always sell your car on Carmax, Autotrader, eBay or Craigslist.

Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"ok".

Tell you what. Let's start with hacking mine.

I'll give you permission so that won't get charged by state and federal authorities with unauthorized access to a computer system and you can go ahead and demonstrate to us all how one "simply" hacks accounts.

cordell_pearce, I grant you permission to access my wjamyers account if you can figure out how to hack it.

You can post some text here from your account, then you can post if from my account, after you hack it. If the text matches, you win.

go!

Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:21 PM

I read through a couple of pages, but didn't have time to go through everything (I do feel I understood the gist of it, though) I understand the issue at hand, and why there are several different viewpoints. I realize what your goals are, and that you're limited by the system, etc. There likely is a better way of doing things, and again, I ask, why does posting a picture of your username with the VIN not work in this instance?

What upset me particularly is the way it was handled by Iowa999. His flippant, arrogant, combative attitude was not helpful, or warranted. (shown in both PMs to me and by attempting to demean my posts at every instance possible) Mods should be in a place of power to be helpful, not to mock, trash, or otherwise disparage forum members. His sweeping deletions of all of my posts (not just the ones I put in place to pad my post count) were not received well, as you may imagine.

I personally would never want someone of that nature representing any of my forums, but that's not my call to make.

Quick Reply: Thoroughly disgusted