Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

I think the minimum 15 posts rule for posting FS items should be modified.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the minimum 15 posts rule for posting FS items should be modified.

if a member has been registered for well over 15 days, does the volume of posts really matter?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob W.
if a member has been registered for well over 15 days, does the volume of posts really matter?

Hi,

Yes, we feel it matters quit a bit. Access to our free Marketplace is a fair trade for particiaption in the community. Thanks.

Bob..
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:34 AM

It does matter because it doesn't take any effort for someone to register on the forums and log back in two weeks later but it takes some effort to make 15 posts. The forums that don't have any classified rules have problems with people registering just to scam people.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bob W.
It used to be 50 post minimum.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:53 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wariosport
It used to be 50 post minimum.
I think it should be back this way

Count your blessings OP
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:00 AM

I dont really post but I read a lot...they say that if you dont have anything smart to say its better to be quiet lol
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wisniaPl
I dont really post but I read a lot...they say that if you dont have anything smart to say its better to be quiet lol
I totally agree, some people has 2000 posts and 20hours of reading.
I have hundreds and hundreds of hours of reading here and from printed threads, maybe 3 item sold and I only have a few posts. 15 is enough and shouldn't be more. This reduce useless posting everywhere.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most sites that I have been on have a minimum of 50 posts. One site I was on, you had to be a member for 3 months before posting in the FS section. This way, you build a reputation, become better known to the community and shows that you are interested in joining not to post things for sale, but to participate. Personally, I hope the site goes back to 50 minimum posts.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
I think it should be back this way

Count your blessings OP
+1 I wish that it still was.

I dont buy anything from people with a low post count or small amount of time on the forums.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If a person is out to scam members, whether it be 15 to 50 posts or 3 to 6 months of membership before posting in the FS section will not deter them. If a person is out to scam they will scam you.

i would rather find out NOW than later if a member is a scammer.

Buyers should always be on their toes dealing online. Ask as many pictures as possible with their username heck ask a picture of the seller if that makes you comfortable. get them to add you on their FB account etc etc.

Point is a LEGIT seller should not have any problems giving you ALL that is asked of them by the Buyer. New seller should understand that they have to bend over backwards being 1. New and 2. With No credibility they should do everything that is asked of them to satisfy and appease the buyer. BUT again there is no guarnatee as i have mentioned atop.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by beetle_orange
If a person is out to scam members, whether it be 15 to 50 posts or 3 to 6 months of membership before posting in the FS section will not deter them. If a person is out to scam they will scam you.

Buyers should always be on their toes dealing online. Ask as many pictures as possible with their username heck ask a picture of the seller if that makes you comfortable. get them to add you on their FB account etc etc.

Point is a LEGIT seller should not have any problems giving you ALL that is asked of them by the Buyer. New seller should understand that they have to bend over backwards being 1. New and 2. With No credibility they should do everything that is asked of them to satisfy and appease the buyer. BUT again there is no guarnatee as i have mentioned atop.
I strongly disagree. 50 posts and 3 months membership would be a major deterrent for most scammers. Sure a few might be a few that get by, but we have other measures in place (pic w/ sn) to help try and combat that as well. Even the 15 posts / 2 weeks membership does a fairly good job of convincing scammers to avoid the site. Either system would be better than allowing someone to create an account and begin selling immediately.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

You usually have well thought out posts. On this one though, I kind of disagree with you. While it is true that a scammer will always try to scam someone no matter how many posts they have, there is a deterrent for the less serious ones who have to create posts and wait a certain time. If we use your analogy, then having an antivirus on a computer is a waste of time because sooner or later, a hacker will get into your computer no matter how many layers of protection you have.

Another benefit of having to wait and have a minimal post count is to weed out spammers . When I was a Supermoderator on another site, this was a constant problem. Spammers want to get going right away. They don't want to have to wait and develop an account before spamming.

You do have excellent tips for buyers. Because of all the bad stuff I have seen on forums, I will not buy anything from anyone unless it is local and I can meet the seller face to face and look at the parts.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

It's a system... Just like everything else in the world. And there are always people who try to beat it, some succeed. It's impossible to stop scammers. The post number/time spent as member wont deter everyone either. But as it's been stated, it will deter many. There are always risks involved with buying online and you should always be observant and look into every person. Honestly, when I sell things... I have no problem giving out my phone number, facebook, address, social security number (joking...joking)... to make the other party more comfortable. And they can verify it however they want. That's because I have nothing to hide, and I'm not out to scam people. Ask the other party for all their information and if they refuse...then stop the deal. Don't go in and just get their paypal email and send them money. Ask them and be sure. Better to have the other person annoyed and be safe then not trying at all.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
You usually have well thought out posts. On this one though, I kind of disagree with you. While it is true that a scammer will always try to scam someone no matter how many posts they have, there is a deterrent for the less serious ones who have to create posts and wait a certain time. If we use your analogy, then having an antivirus on a computer is a waste of time because sooner or later, a hacker will get into your computer no matter how many layers of protection you have.

Another benefit of having to wait and have a minimal post count is to weed out spammers . When I was a Supermoderator on another site, this was a constant problem. Spammers want to get going right away. They don't want to have to wait and develop an account before spamming.

You do have excellent tips for buyers. Because of all the bad stuff I have seen on forums, I will not buy anything from anyone unless it is local and I can meet the seller face to face and look at the parts.
I will take that as a compliment. I have to say the same about you.

Ironic that you used the virus protection as an example as I actually don't have one . I use the free AVG but refuse to pay for one.

I figure if it gets infected I can simply buy a 250 laptop at best buy. Currently using a 6 year old acer notebook but the damn thing refuses to die!

Let me rephrase my opinion. Will it deter them, sure. Will it stop them, no. Hence my statement that I would rather find them NOW than later.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

I will take that as a compliment. I have to say the same about you.

Ironic that you used the virus protection as an example as I actually don't have one . I use the free AVG but refuse to pay for one.

I figure if it gets infected I can simply buy a 250 laptop at best buy. Currently using a 6 year old acer notebook but the damn thing refuses to die!

Let me rephrase my opinion. Will it deter them, sure. Will it stop them, no. Hence my statement that I would rather find them NOW than later.
It was meant as a compliment, but you are a stand up person I would say based on your posts. As for scammers, I suppose there is no real litmus test that can be used to weed them out. I still feel that the less hardcore ones are somewhat deterred by a minimum post count/minimum site time. It is true that the scammers who do this for a living will be undeterred, hence the need to follow the procedures you laid out to protect yourself. I guess it is a sign of the times that there are so many people who think nothing of cheating another person for their own gain. However, I am firm believer that what you sow, you will reap and it will catch up with them one day.

Quick Reply: I think the minimum 15 posts rule for posting FS items should be modified.