Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

gilman experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2005, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gilman experience

Ok, today i went to Gillman to get a trade in quote on my 02 celica and look for an evo. When i talked to the salesman he said they only had one in stock. We went to look at it and it had the ssl package. I said i didnt want the one with leather package. He said "i think they all come with leather seats" I was like ok

Next, after about 45 min and a new salesman, they give me a trade in value of 7500 for my celica and say i need 5000 down and i would get payments of 715 a month for 6 years. I almost died laughing and got up to leave. I told they i had already got one quoted for 28000 out the door, he said hold on let me talk to my manager.

He finally came back and said if i left my sparco seats, rims, and exhaust on my car that they would give me 11500, what i owe, and lower my payments to 500 with 1500 down some 500 extra bonus for being a graduate from college. I told they i needed to think about it and would get back to them in a few days.

This was the weirdest experience i have ever had with a dealership!! O well what do yall think.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:54 PM

What did they say the price of the Evo would be?

If they try to talk about payments first, redirect the convo back to the actual cost of the car. Talking payments is a standard dealership ploy which usually ends up working out better for them than you.

D
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:01 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmmm this sounds pretty suspicius to me. i mean, i know the dealers can be pretty shady and all, but seriously: 7500+5000+(715*72) = 63980 dollars. and again:

11500+1500+(500*72) = 49000

for some reason i think your dealer cannot do math at all, that or your exaggerating this quite a bit. i just can see a dealer actually saying, we will sell you this car for 64 thousand dollars when it has a price tag of less then half that.

as an example, i had zero down, no trade in, and am paying about 550 a month for 6 years, with a pretty high interest rate (financing 32k i think it was). i am in the process of refinancing right now, bringing my payments down 60 a month, AND eliminating 4 payments all together. and i'm paying a ton more then most because of nothing down!

just go to the dealer and tell him you can do 5th grade math and he is a moron. ask to talk to someone who knows what they are doing. although i still question the legitimacy of this story....
Old Sep 11, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by articfury
What did they say the price of the Evo would be?

If they try to talk about payments first, redirect the convo back to the actual cost of the car. Talking payments is a standard dealership ploy which usually ends up working out better for them than you.

D
Agreed, don't let him suck you into the 4 square chart. When you walk in the door you should already know what interest rate you can qualify for, what you want for your trade in, what you want to put down, and what the purchase price should be. Negotiate this stuff--not the payment. If you negotiate the payment the dealer will manipulate the other numbers in favor of himself. As long as the monthly payment is within your limit you shouldn't care, right? Wrong.

On Gillman...I bought my Evo at the Austin location and went through the usual games this dealer is famous for. We agreed on a trade in, purchase price, and interest rate. All of this was even written down on paper. When I came in the next day all three had changed! After 3 hours of waiting and nearly buying a Subaru next door the director came to speak with me. He appologized for what had happened and asked what he could do. I said I wanted what we agreed on yesterday. He gave it to me but I'll never go back there again.

Now, a couple of months ago I was shopping for my wife's car. I went to Austin Subaru and Classic Honda. Both seem to be good, straight shooting dealerships. Just stay away from Gillman.

Sorry if this is long but I get so pissed when I think about what Gillman did. Buying a car (especially an Evo) is an emotional purchase. Dealerships know this and they will use it to their advantage...some dishonestly.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:23 AM

the final price they agreed on was 500 a month for 60 months with 1500 down, and they would pay what i owed on the celica. I figured this was pretty good but since they put me through bs at first i said i needed to think about it. Now i am going to see if they will come down more than that before i buy since they put me through bs.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Go to Gilman of San Marcos and see MArk Sheepy. Tell him Robert O'Brien sent you. I bought my wife's Outlander through him/them and him/they we're really helpful. Best of luck.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 350ztt
the final price they agreed on was 500 a month for 60 months with 1500 down, and they would pay what i owed on the celica. I figured this was pretty good but since they put me through bs at first i said i needed to think about it. Now i am going to see if they will come down more than that before i buy since they put me through bs.
Did they tell you the:
1. Purchase price?
2. Interest rate?
3. Trade in value vs. blue book?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

do not buy from gillman!!!!!!!!!!!! they are shifty as hell. a couple months ago i tried to buy a galant from them and they promised me that i would have a 5 year 60000 mile warrenty on a used 04. we bought it thinking that and then we went in a week later to finalize the paper work (my dad was out of town at the time of purchase so he needed to sign some stuff) well we then find out that the car didnt have that warrenty and they werent willing to give us the warrenty so we had to give the car back and i bought somehting else.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 350ztt
wow that sounds pretty good
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:39 PM

Fiirst off go to a credit union. They're rates ( based upon credit) shoudl be 4.5-5.5 for 60 months. Usually about $25-$50.00 to join (open an account) and the rate is worth it. + they will act on your behalf and usually have agreements with dealers they do business with in your area.

Second go to www.kbb.com for your car. Go to "trade value" and enter all the info. If you want to see ( with in reason) what you will get enter POOR as a condition and POOF there is your number.

Third get the rock bottom price on a car. Shop dealers all over the place. Make them WORK for you not you for them. Remember you are giving them money!

4th- If you can do all this an wait till the end of the month a dealer for the most part will just have to bend a little.

Cars that are modded tend to get shot a little lower so that maybe somewhat of a negative. With all the info above you should have a really good number.

PS When they ask what kind of payment you want? DONT EVER ANSWER!!
I know this cause I work for one and this all I do all day long; finance!

Good luck and PM if you need anything else.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:26 PM

0k i will be getting 0% financing. If i can somehow get payments at 480 for 60 months with only 800 down and 500 graduate incentave. Plus get them to payoff what i owe on my car which is more than its worth in KBB, whouldnt that be a hell of a deal??
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

I can truly appreciate the frustration of buying a new car. I sold cars for a number of years and am aware of the many tricks salespeople use to persuade you out of your money.

You have been given some excellent advice in the posts above. Please use that in your negotiations. If I can offer some heplful hints, try the following:

1. Work one aspect of the deal at a time. i.e. trade value, then discount price , then interest rate.
2. Never work payments. Payments will take care of themselves.
3. Educate yourself. Determine the true value of your car (ACV = Actual Cash Value). This gives you reference as to what your car is actually worth if your car was cash.
4. Learn what the Total Dealer Invoice (TDI) is on the car you are buying. This allows you to know how much the dealer can discount his car. Both #3 & #4 can be found on the internet.

Finally, remember that the dealer is in business to make money. Be fair with your offer. If you use the above as a guide in your purchase, you can turn a nightmare into a fun contest of wills. If all else fails, pm me as we have a dealer in Victoria that is both mod friendly and willing to negotiate on the price of EVO's.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:33 AM

Talking

Hey I thought I said that?

Originally Posted by Whoosh
I can truly appreciate the frustration of buying a new car. I sold cars for a number of years and am aware of the many tricks salespeople use to persuade you out of your money.

You have been given some excellent advice in the posts above. Please use that in your negotiations. If I can offer some heplful hints, try the following:

1. Work one aspect of the deal at a time. i.e. trade value, then discount price , then interest rate.
2. Never work payments. Payments will take care of themselves.
3. Educate yourself. Determine the true value of your car (ACV = Actual Cash Value). This gives you reference as to what your car is actually worth if your car was cash.
4. Learn what the Total Dealer Invoice (TDI) is on the car you are buying. This allows you to know how much the dealer can discount his car. Both #3 & #4 can be found on the internet.

Finally, remember that the dealer is in business to make money. Be fair with your offer. If you use the above as a guide in your purchase, you can turn a nightmare into a fun contest of wills. If all else fails, pm me as we have a dealer in Victoria that is both mod friendly and willing to negotiate on the price of EVO's.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

those guys are so shady, i was trying to deal with the gilman in austin
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Go to Gillman San Marcos... No problem here w/ them.

Quick Reply: gilman experience