Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Don Herring Plano takes my car for a joyride!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don Herring Plano takes my car for a joyride!

All:

<RANT ON>

So I took my EVO VIII in for an oil change and a fix to my CEL for having a difference between thermostat and coolant temp. I was told my car would be ready yesterday afternoon and it was indeed ready. Car was washed and I checked the oil sticker in my windshield. Everything cool. Then I noticed my odometer and how it was 16 miles higher than my oil change sticker! I turned the car over and sure enough, my METH Low Warning Red Light was constant ON. Before I turned it into them, the Low Warning light was only briefly flashing.

What reason would the dealer need to drive 16 miles to troubleshoot ANYTHING on my car?? I'm going to call JT and complain about this. I hate shops that take cars out and race them for several miles. Not only does it add risk to damaging a motor or any other mechanical breakdown, but it shows the lack of respect of other peoples' property.

<RANT OFF>

-M
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact a lawyer. ANYTHING could have happened in those 16 miles.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Wow.....I would go insane......that's some bs dude.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

A dealer will usually run the car for up to 10 miles or so to make sure nothing comes back as far as the cell. HOWEVER they have no reason to be running it in boost what-so-ever for the problem you are having.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 AM

Damn man that is ****ed. I am actually kind of surprised that they would do you like that.

Someone has some explaining to do I think .

I would say that Mike Howell has always done right by me. For mine and Kerens car.

In fact I fired Larry even though he still cries when I come in and insist that Mike write me up.

Only go to Mike is what I say.

Last edited by Shimanchu; Sep 9, 2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wtf!
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Wow.....I would go insane......that's some bs dude.
I'm trying not to..
Evolving Member

call your lawyer my man. only one that can solve the problem.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:55 AM

damn thats messed up, We usually test drove customer's min of 2 miles and 5-10 miles for a SES light. If it needs to be test drove more then we would notify cust. first, but that BMW tho, haven't take my ix in for anything other than window seal, and I waited for it lol
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Playing a bit of devils advocate, but how long does it take to get the coolant temperature up to make sure the CEL doesn't come back?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Playing a bit of devils advocate, but how long does it take to get the coolant temperature up to make sure the CEL doesn't come back?
Not very long at all.. Hell, you could let the car idle for 10 mins and it would be at operating temp. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't punch it, but I know they did.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

How do you know they raced it? Driving the car between 3-6K RPM (engaging the turbo) is a normal part of driving.

Test driving a car is routine for many dealers. They check their work to ensure they did the job right. Sometimes they even find other problems.

Did you specify they were not allowed to drive it?
Do you know who drove it?
What if the service manager or lead mechanic drove it?

Seriously, it's quite insulting to the intelligence and experience of a mechanic when you immediately conclude they "damaged" your car by driving it. Driving a car, even if aggressively, does not necessarily "hurt it" if done properly. Did you smell friction material when you picked it up?

To sue them, you really need to show what was damaged.

Seriously man... chill out. It's just a car. If you don't want them driving it, say so when you drop it off. They will probably explain the consequences of not checking their work. Or you can buy a GPS logging device and see how fast and far they drove it. Or go a step further and install hidden cameras like a bait car.

But that's pretty extreme, and most of these remedies emphasize your distrust of the person working on your car. Ultimately have to trust the person working under your hood to a certain degree. You can't watch over their every move. Plus, if you treat them with skepticism when requesting warranty work, they won't care if your warranty covers the repairs or not.

It's like the guy making your burger behind the counter at a restaurant. You better show him every ounce of respect, or you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be talking to the service writer if I were you. I agree that thay needed to drive it, but to go out and hammer on it is not necessary at all.
Next time I'd be telling them that your tracking the mileage their putting on the car.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binarysleep
How do you know they raced it? Driving the car between 3-6K RPM (engaging the turbo) is a normal part of driving.

Test driving a car is routine for many dealers. They check their work to ensure they did the job right. Sometimes they even find other problems.

Did you specify they were not allowed to drive it?
Do you know who drove it?
What if the service manager or lead mechanic drove it?

Seriously, it's quite insulting to the intelligence and experience of a mechanic when you immediately conclude they "damaged" your car by driving it. Driving a car, even if aggressively, does not necessarily "hurt it" if done properly. Did you smell friction material when you picked it up?

To sue them, you really need to show what was damaged.

Seriously man... chill out. It's just a car. If you don't want them driving it, say so when you drop it off. They will probably explain the consequences of not checking their work. Or you can buy a GPS logging device and see how fast and far they drove it. Or go a step further and install hidden cameras like a bait car.

But that's pretty extreme, and most of these remedies emphasize your distrust of the person working on your car. Ultimately have to trust the person working under your hood to a certain degree. You can't watch over their every move. Plus, if you treat them with skepticism when requesting warranty work, they won't care if your warranty covers the repairs or not.

It's like the guy making your burger behind the counter at a restaurant. You better show him every ounce of respect, or you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Firstly, the car was driven at boost over 15psi because my Meth was nearly empty and it only comes on beyond 15psi in the intake manifold. I specifically checked the fluid level before I took it to the dealer because I didn't want it to go down. There is no doubt in my mind that the car was boosted which is NOT required to test drive or check a CEL for thermostat problems.

Secondly, it sounds a bit ludicrous for you to chalk it off to "it's just a car". Yes, it is just a car, but a car that I need to get to/from work or anywhere else my family needs transportation. If this "just a car" breaks, then it's just my money that has to fix it - which I don't have for breakdowns that I didn't cause.

Lastly, as I said, I don't mind the test drive. I *do* mind test driving it for more miles than required and racing it in the process.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Sep 9, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I can see putting 10-20 miles on a car test driving it to ensure the cel doesn't come back on. But your methanol being so much lower tell me they were really getting on it. In the future, turn your boost controller to waste gate pressure, that should keep them to lower levels of boost. It would have been really bad if the meth would have stopped spraying and they stayed into the throttle.