Notices

A very sad story: Toyota Crash / Recall *some may find this hard to watch

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to let me dog ride up in the front seat and she is terrified of thunder and one day i was driving with her in a storm. she started to get scared and when she went to go hide she went to my side straight into the pedals. thank god i was still on the break at a light or it could have been disaster!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

That is horrible. I always worried that something like that would happen. To be honest, I would have probably never thought of putting it in neutral if this happened to me, I would've probably just tried the brakes but I hope I never find out how I'd react. My prayers go out to the families.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:59 AM

just terrible..

i would assume that emergency cases like these, you would:

1) shift into neutral
2) pump the brakes?

would pulling the ebrake be really dangerous? @__@
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:20 AM

i think also in this case because it was an automatic car, automatic drivers may not have realized the option of N. i am sure most manual drivers in a manual car, if in this situation would just clutch in and neutral to disengage the engine from tranny.

Last edited by rontam90; Oct 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

^ true, eventhough my car isn't standard, when I drive standard the cutch is my best friend.

I must offer I too have had the Pedal stick, Not fun. On ramp merging to the 401, I was going to merge on and needed to slow down to avoid running into the car in the lane. Least to say the pedal got stuck and I ended up in on the shoulder to avoid hitting him. Did I need a new tire? Yes! Did I get new mats after the fact? Yes!, All in all I avoided causeing a collision and thats the first reaction for most.

I did't even think of popping it into neutral. Live and learn.

Its a totally different beast when there are 4 people in the car especially when its your family. I'm pretty sure that he was trying to keep cool but when you know thats happening and there are two yonger children in the car, doesn't matter how much Police traing you have you will panic. Its human nature.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second point is, this was no run down beater toyota or even a middle of the road kinda Camery. It was powerful ES350.

"Witnesses saw flames coming from the front and rear tires of the speeding 2009 Lexus ES 350 before it crashed Aug. 28 in Santee, suggesting “long, constant heavy braking,” said Sgt. Scott Hill, the lead sheriff's investigator."...... "Hill said the evidence shows that there was prolonged “heavy, heavy, hard braking.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...p-crash-probe/

The fact that he was going that fast for so long tells me that he had some of his witts about him. But like AJ said, when it happens to you for the first time.. you just react and not think. I think that guy saved lives even though it cost him his own/family
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

This sucks I had this happen to me once at 70mph car made it up to 80mph before I yanked the floor mat up and threw it in the back seat