Notices

ACD pump failure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pump installed, works great. It was covered under warrenty (goodwill as my general warrenty = expired)

Forgot to ask for the old pump, didn't want to go back the next day to ask for it...

I was advised by my service manager that not having the cold weather update wouldnt cause the pump to fail. I didnt argue with him, but regardless I will push for the update next time i'm there. Will also ask what exactly it changes and forward the answer on here.

Cheers all, and GL with your pumps!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
Hey all, thought I would share my predicament for you (been a bad car year for me...sigh).

Anyway, this passed May long weekend, I was driving along and then got the dreaded "service required" screen:

There are only 3 times this will show up: doing donuts in the winter without first turning off the ASC (reboot the car, goes away), when you put a donut spare tire (wheel rotation out of spec, just put a proper diameter tire on), and when your ACD/AYC pump fails.

Of course, mine is the last one. But it wasn't as direct as you might think to sort this out, and so I share my experience now, so that other Toronto enthusiasts may be spared the mild aggravation.

First and foremost: this pump is covered under the 60,000km warranty. Mine failed at 102,000km. FML. Second, Dealer retail price for this is $1600.

So after getting the message, and doing what the owner's manual said to do (stop, restart motor, see if it goes away), it did go away, and for a few days. Then it came back, and would not go away. So I went to the dealer to check it out. As it turns out, mechanics don't actually do mechanical stuff anymore, they are IT guys in coveralls. He plugged in the MUTIII, and ran diagnostics, but got stuck at the Actuator Test, so he could not confirm that the pump was running. He did notice that the ECU version was out of date, so he reflashed, and the error disappeared! WAHOO! There is monies in my pocket!

But I noticed a new symptom: whenever I drove, the ACD mode would blink (the little Tarmac/Gravel/Snow display). It did this in any mode, any conditions, even stationary. The mechanic said this isn't a problem, its all fine. Problems are yellow. OK, so I drove home. Well, the owner's manual says that this indicates that the ACD has gone into self-protection mode, caused by extreme circumstance, usually under extreme driving. Apparently I have mastered the art of being stationary...to the EXTREME! So I decided to do a little research, thinking the technician must have been just a little bit lazy on this day. Here is what I found out:

The new flash changes the screen for the initial error (C161E, pump failure). Since the screen above indicates "STOP NOW", I guess they realized that there is no safety or mechanical reason to stop, so lets make it a minor error and people will drive to the dealer eventually. Another error now also shows up, C161F (ACD fault, protection mode). I think that is what blinks the ACD mode.

So what is wrong? I don't have a MUTIII in my garage, and didn't want to pay for more diagnostics that the mechanic should have already done. So I searched online for ways to test. First: test if the pump is building pressure:

1) pull of the rear bumper
2) back right, you will see the pump. Disconnect the biggest connector (power) While there, also make sure the connections are not corroded, and clean.
3) using a batter, apply 12V to the pump (black is - ).
4) listen: if the pump is building pressure, the pitch should drop as more resistance is encountered on the impeller. After 30-40 sec (maximum), if pressure has been built, the pitch should suddenly go high again as the pressure reaches max and flips the relief valve.
5) as well, if pressure is building, then the fluid level in the reservoir (in the trunk, right side), should drop as it fills the accumulator.

Mine never did this. The pressure is not building. Clearly, things are not fine. But maybe the computer controls a valve to tell pressure to go up? I need a better test, I need the car on. But how do I do this? Like so:

1) jack the car up, and put it on 4 stands so the wheels are off the ground (maybe just tell your mechanic to lift it, please don't hurt yourself)
2) start the car. Do not put it in drive, but the e-brake should be released.
3) Go to the back right (so you can hear stuff)
4) With your hand, spin the wheel (wont need to go far).

Provided the ECU is working, the pump should start, as it assumes the traction condition has changed, and tries to adjust the ACD. It will run for about 20-30 sec, then quit. At the end of this, your ACD mode will be blinking again. YAHOO! Situation replicated, and proved the computer isn't faulty.

See, it turns out the computer does not regulate pressure, at least not at the pump. So, it just tells the pump to build it, and makes sure it reaches a threshold. It is either there, or it is not. The pump builds it, and should do so within X time. If this isn't detected by the computer, it gives the blinky error.

So now you are saying "But supr! Couldn't this be a sensor?" Sure could! The sensor is located at the pump. And Mitsu sells the pump as a single unit. Therefore, the pump is still the problem. However, since the pitch wasn't changing, and the fluid in the reservoir wasn't moving, it isn't a sensor.

So back the dealer I do, armed with my new info. My plan was this: Get them to test the pressure, either through the MUTIII, or through a good old fashioned bleed test (if it is pumping, the bleed nozzle will **** out fluid like a drunk after a new years party, if not it will be more like a 70 year old with a prostate problem). If the pressure built, then swap the ACD ECU with a known good car to verify it isn't the computer (just to test, I'm an IT guy and this just seems right).

So they discovered since the last time, that there is a new TSB for this condition, with 15 page diagnostic instructions, and went through that instead. And then called Mitsu phone support for more answers. And then compared with a working unit. Turns out I'm only making 1psi in the pump. It should be 192psi. A little bit different. So after all that, they proved what I thought. The damn pump is broken.

So what now? New pump. I'm going to eBay one, and hope it is good (save me some $). But this is a heads up for all you AWD lancer drivers (Evo X and Ralliart), that if you see that screen, or see that blink, get it checked ASAP!

And why is this important to Toronto? I have read repeatedly, from Evo 7+, that this issue may be caused by corrosion on and in the pump. We salt our roads, and that isn't friendly to the aluminum pump, so you will more than likely encounter this issue eventually

I'll post again when the new part arrives, and let the internets know how it goes.

I'd like to take this chance to thank Mitsubishi Newmarket for generally being awesome. I think their technician has some things to learn (like not all problems are solve on a computer alone), but they have been really good throughout the life of my car. In fact, for today's diagnostics, which took almost 2 hours with the learning and the phone call, I was not charged at all. Pretty good, considering the car is well passed warranty. Many thanks, its been good.

cross posted to my BLOG
Received the dreaded SERVICE REQUIRED message for the first time last week under extremely hot ambient temps, and only came back this week. Brought it to the dealer today to get the AWC ECU reprogrammed TSB. After the flash (C161E code indicated) the mechanic said he scanned the system and nothing was showing. After leaving the dealer the TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW came on and flashed about 4 times (within about a 15 second period) and then stayed at TARMAC. Stayed on TARMAC all the way home and can change the setting to either TARMAC or GRAVEL or SNOW. After sitting for a few hours the TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW flashed again and then stayed on.
Unfortunately this occured 5 months after the 3yr warranty (68k mark) and dealer said such part would not be covered under warranty. Will most likely bring it back next week to get the ACD confirmed.

suprPHREAK, how long did it take for Newmarket to confirm the ACD pump was toast? Because after the system flashes TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW and then stays on (as is normally) afterwards, does that mean the pump is still working?
Which dealer in the US did you get it from? How was the duties for the part coming back?

Ebay prices for a used pump is $1500

Other then verbally from the dealer, anyone got anything written from head office that the pump isn't covered under warranty?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have nothing written, but I can confirm being told by a dealer that the ACD pump is not covered by the powertrain warranty.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
I have nothing written, but I can confirm being told by a dealer that the ACD pump is not covered by the powertrain warranty.
Seems that is told by dealers. Funny thing is that when I brought it in for the flash, I was immediately told that if it was related to ACD pump, it's not covered under warranty. Almost as if they were told specifically by head office from the get go.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm not too active here.

Originally Posted by GTE28
suprPHREAK, how long did it take for Newmarket to confirm the ACD pump was toast?
I'm not sure if they ever told me. I had to do the test myself to confirm it, as their computer wouldnt properly talk to the car.

See original post for DIY instructions.

Because after the system flashes TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW and then stays on (as is normally) afterwards, does that mean the pump is still working?
No. The most recent ACD Flash only changes the notification severity level. The only impact from a dead pump, is that your AWD system loses all intelligence. It can no longer adjust for conditions, and just runs the ACD as a full-slip diff. For daily driving you notice very little, especially if on highway. But hit some gravel or drive it like a rally car, then you notice right away.

Which dealer in the US did you get it from? How was the duties for the part coming back?
I got it from eBay, I searched by part number, and picked it up (conveniently was on a trip to the USA at that time). Was $700 for mine.

I should point out as well, I drove approx 6000km with the car in this condition before it got fixed. it was a less exciting drive, for sure, but no ill effects have been felt (at 142,000km now). As a result of this trip, there were no duties.

Last edited by suprPHREAK; Aug 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
.....I got it from eBay, I searched by part number.....
What's the part number? My pump appears to be dead as well, and I'm looking into alternative sources for a new pump.....
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVLEVOX
What's the part number? My pump appears to be dead as well, and I'm looking into alternative sources for a new pump.....
I cant remember. Just pop your bumper and take a look at yours!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ruff-Shaw
I am selling rebuild kits for the Ralliart and EVO X pumps. The kits are running $200. We can also rebuild pumps for guys in Canada. We’re in the GTA, so you can even pick up your kit or drop off your pump for service, if you’re close enough. If anyone is interested, you can PM for details. Here is a link for the Evo kit, but as I mentioned, we have Ralliart kits too. Cheers!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitsubishi-EV...77804b&vxp=mtr

That's excellent news! It is nice to have a alternative in Canada.

How does this kit differ than the one from acd-tuning.com?

I tried to get in touch with them by both by email and left a voicemail few months ago, with no reply.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:59 AM

I’m not sure what the other kits out there are like as I haven’t seen them up close, but here are some specs on ours:

The pump plate is precision cut using 304 stainless steel, which has excellent properties for corrosion resistance.
We use DuPont o-rings and seals. These are used for exterior applications, such as this one. The seals have a long lifetime under harsh conditions.

Winters are very hard on these pumps, especially here in Canada. I’ve used these parts to rebuild my own pump and the results are excellent!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Impressive.

As part of your rebuild service, do you have the ability to test the pumps for function (solenoid works, holds pressure, etc.)?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:57 AM

We test the pump before it’s disassembled and then we test each part on its own after. All pump parts are carefully inspected, plate upgraded to stainless, internal o-rings discarded and replaced with brand name ones, bolts are discarded and replaced with new ones, solenoids are tested and solenoid o-rings are replaced.

We also test motor winding coils, brushes, bearings, shaft tolerance, bearing housing, couplers and inserts between the motor and the pump. Motor rewinds are also available, so if something can’t be fixed it can be sent it over to us so for inspection.

The pump body gets cleaned, sand-blasted and then painted with clear epoxy coating. Finally, the assembled pump is bench tested for pressure, running OEM fluid and using OEM reservoir and hoses.

All parts and materials are brand name and all service is done in house.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ruff-Shaw
We test the pump before it’s disassembled and then we test each part on its own after. All pump parts are carefully inspected, plate upgraded to stainless, internal o-rings discarded and replaced with brand name ones, bolts are discarded and replaced with new ones, solenoids are tested and solenoid o-rings are replaced.

We also test motor winding coils, brushes, bearings, shaft tolerance, bearing housing, couplers and inserts between the motor and the pump. Motor rewinds are also available, so if something can’t be fixed it can be sent it over to us so for inspection.

The pump body gets cleaned, sand-blasted and then painted with clear epoxy coating. Finally, the assembled pump is bench tested for pressure, running OEM fluid and using OEM reservoir and hoses.

All parts and materials are brand name and all service is done in house.
What is the cost of the rebuild service? good to know that theres a place here in the GTA that services it. Whats the name of your shop?

I was lucky enough to have the new pump cost covered by my dealer and Mitsu Canada, and basically just pay for the labor even though it was out of warranty.

(side note: if anyone wants to buy a new pump, head to the US. I was about to get my friend who lives in Michigan to buy it from a dealer. Street price $1700 but the dealer would discount it to $1500 because he works for Ford. After tax and all I would of saved close to $1000!!)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:14 AM
Account Disabled

That kit looks very familiar- even down to the baggie it's packaged in
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:03 AM

GTE28,
Glad it worked out with your new pump. As for our services, I will be starting a new thread this week with more info on the rebuilding, the costs, service location etc. We’re looking to provide a good option for local guys with bad pumps.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 AM

Not to hijack the thread but had same prob with my evo 8. Replaced ACD pump with a used one. Dealer swapped acd out for 250.00 labor.

The warranty did list that 10yr 100k only covered the acd up to like 50k miles. Mine went out at 60.

Ruff-Shaw do you rebuild evo 8 acd's?

Quick Reply: ACD pump failure