Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

dyno'd and kinda disappointed

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derangedazn
Several questions....

2) Does he specialize in other cars? mainly evos for this purpose
2a) if no....then why did you let him tune your evo?
3) Reason why you let him tune your car instead of another tuner that specialize in evos?
This has got to be one of the dumbest replys ever. It does not matter what kind of cars you have tuned before or what cars you specialize in. Motor is a motor, bore is bore, stroke is stroke, timing is timing, fuel is fuel, engine dynamics is engine dynamics, etc. The comment is like you saying AMS specializes in EVOs why are they tuning srt4's and 240's. Ill tell you why, because they probably got a badass muthaphukin tuner and it dont matter what kind of car it is, if there is something available for tuning the engine, they can tune it, many other tuners out there alike.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nikkadanny
^ well i went to the track like a couple of weeks ago and i couldnt get a good launch but with no launching and booging off the line i managed a sorry 14.2 at 107

If you only trapped 107 mph with the dyno numbers you posted, that DJ is NOT low-reading. I hope your 107 mph trap is before the tune, otherwise, that's pretty sad for IX w/ your mods.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
he's not like that in person because he knows if he gets mouthy he's going to get popped in the mouth. his computer is his protection =-p
What the hell are you talking about? You don't know a damn thing about me. If I disagree with something you do or say, I will let you know in person just as well as on the computer. Nice assumptions you're making here...

People have tried to pop me in the mouth several times and have failed. I'm not some 5'5" 120lb kid. Not sure where you got that idea. My computer is not my protection. The last person who actually did land a solid punch ended up begging for mercy. No need to act tough, dude. You're not a registered vendor and are a newbie tuner. People allowing you to tune them remotely WITHOUT WIDEBAND O2s are flirting with disaster...

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 6, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mhgsx
If you only trapped 107 mph with the dyno numbers you posted, that DJ is NOT low-reading. I hope your 107 mph trap is before the tune, otherwise, that's pretty sad for IX w/ your mods.
I'm a proponent of using trap speeds to verify dyno numbers, but when someone runs a 14.2 @ 107, then the trap speed is nowhere near useful. That's 1.5 seconds off normal for that trap speed, so he SURELY is losing a lot off his trap speed due to horrid driving. Put me or Dropspeed in that same car, and it probably goes 12.3 @ 110 or so. There's no way to know without the guy actually driving the car somewhere near normal...
Old May 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

i agree it was my first time at the track so i decided to just ease off the line too see what i could do, but when i tried launching the car the car locked me out of
2nd and 3rd so i couldnt really do anything, i'll let you guys know when i get a better clutch and go back to the track
Old May 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

WOW looks like a bad tune alright!
really it looks like your car is pulling timing like crazy up top!
Old May 6, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nikkadanny
i agree it was my first time at the track so i decided to just ease off the line too see what i could do, but when i tried launching the car the car locked me out of
2nd and 3rd so i couldnt really do anything, i'll let you guys know when i get a better clutch and go back to the track
Yeah, let us know after you're able to do a full launch with fast shifting. Trap speeds are killed by slow shifts and rolling off the line, so you really have no basis for analysis yet.
Old May 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
people are funny

i have no idea how calibrated alamos dyno is (if even ever has been calibrated, but i made 310whp on the exact same dyno with most of the mods in my sig. with a turbo trix tune a few years back) to blanket the statement, the tuner sucks is pretty easy to do.. i would agree. however, i would be happy to post the results of both danny and jareks tune when i did it:

here is jareks a/f ratio and boost on the final run:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...ng/jarekaF.jpg

i agree more boost prolly could have been used. when we started it was over 25.5psi from the forced performance tune at peak boost. i didn't feel safe with that on pump, but if you want big numbers, turn the boost up

jareks car couldn't take the timing at the higher end like most cars, so instead of usually ending at 15* it was only about 10-12 degrees. i have the logs from trying 13* showing heavy knock, and the logs with 10-11 degs with no knock: here is the last one we ran: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...arektiming.jpg

i know as well as all of you that sure, it needs more timing at higher RPM's, but keep in mind that was tried, and it wouldn't take it without knocking (all cars are different). last, you can see with 23psi, 11.5 aF ratio, and 6 degrees of timing with no knock only made 285 ftlb i think it is safe to say the dyno reads low (or is uncalibrated). i don't like blaming things on the dyno, but i would gladly put jareks car up against any other "370hp" whp car with the same mods. jareks car is definitely fast. take it to the track and see what she does, if your not happy with the results, i'll tune it more aggressively and we can turn the boost up. (although, i can show you that more timing isn't going to do much).

hopefully i don't need to remind anyone what happens when you take alamos advice on tuning though... if you'll notice there is a car for sale in the south region with a blown motor from alamos overly aggressive tuning
I dont wanna get one you but it looks like his car wants more fuel. 11.5AFR on my car = low HP. My car likes nothing over 11.0! it wont knock but it also wont hit my 14 degrees of timing. I did my own tuning up to 525 and with race fuel it didnt really like 11.5 either that might be a problem why he isnt getting much. That thing should be pushing @ LEAST 330WHP
Old May 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

thats jareks car my cars info is in kevins post under that one
Old May 7, 2007, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRadjahoe
I dont wanna get one you but it looks like his car wants more fuel. 11.5AFR on my car = low HP. My car likes nothing over 11.0! it wont knock but it also wont hit my 14 degrees of timing. I did my own tuning up to 525 and with race fuel it didnt really like 11.5 either that might be a problem why he isnt getting much. That thing should be pushing @ LEAST 330WHP

from my experience drowning the car with fuel doesn't always improve HP... most of the dynoflash tunes i've seen run this way, and it is quite easy to improve on the tune by leaning it out some. maybe in your application with a huge turbo and race gas, running 11.5:1 AF worked with 14 degrees of timing up top, but we are on stock turbo with 93 here, two VERY different applications.

edit: even more interesting, after talking to danny, he said they had the Wideband sniffer on the car while dynoing it and it was in the high 10's, low 11's AF. unfortunately i wasn't there to do any data logging or verify these numbers.

Last edited by KevinD; May 7, 2007 at 10:40 AM.