Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD Review/Timeline/Total Evo Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRD Review/Timeline/Total Evo Experience

This review is way over due. A little background info before I get started. Before I bought my Evo IX, I was a diehard VW fan (still am). In December of 2006 I had the pleasure of owning a 2004 .:R32, and If anyone on here has owned one of these, you'll know what i'm talking about. A real blast to drive. Snappy, AWD, and that unmistakable VR growl from under the hood. And with 99% of the cars that I've owned, it didn't stay stock for very long. Started with the simple stuff, exhaust, intake, coilovers etc.
This is pretty much where I met Chad for the first time. I was interested in getting the ecu flashed with GIAC software. I knew from word of mouth that he still had close connections with AWE Tuning near Philly and they were a local GIAC dealer. So went to Chad with my plan and he had my ECU sent out the same day and had the .:R32 back on the road in two days. I had it dynoed once we got the ecu back from AWE.

Short vid when the .:R was on the dyno. Only made 205awhp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fa7uXiaAVo

I was very pleased with my encounter and experiece with CBRD after the great work they did on my .:R. Shortly after that I went with a Vortec Stage II Supercharger Kit which was installed at AWE Tuning. Brought it back to CBRD for a tune and it only made a measily 260awhp ARRRRRR . (Chad still plots that graph over my current Evo runs and pokes fun haha.)
After the disapointing numbers with my current setup I decided it was time to move on to something that would respond a little better to mods. I actually work at a local Chevrolet Dealership and in our family we also have a Toyota and Suzuki Franchise. I was heading to work one day and there she was. A 2006 Evo IX sitting at our Suzuki lot. I was like . Went into work and did the paperwork that same night.

Pictures from the first night that I took it home. As you can tell, it wasn't stock when i bought it.

Soon after that, I went to Chad and got their Entry Level Performance Package.
DC Sports Turboback Exhaust- 3" Stainless
Walbro High Output Fuel Pump
Hallman PRO MBC
Custom Tune

As soon as I got my car back, I knew these guys meant business. It was totally a night and day difference. Stock-like drivability and great power all through-out the powerband. No issues what-so-ever.

A couple of months go by, and I knew it was time to upgrade the suspension. At first I was leaning towards a Bilstein setup, but Chad convinced me to go with a H&R Coilover setup. As many as you know, H&R is huge in the VW scene, but I never experienced any of their products on any imports. I was expecting a very harsh ride, boy was I wrong. Rides like a dream and extemely tight when entering turns.

Picture after coilovers were installed by CBRD.

This is where we really had fun with her. After long hours of research and chatting with Chad, I decided I needed to make some real power. Chad suggested a 50 trim setup that would be great for a nice street setup. I still wanted to keep this Evo a strictly pump gas machine.

Mods included...
Custom CBRD turbo- Standard 50 trim w/ a stage 3 turbine
Joe's old GSC S1's
Precision 780cc Injectors
OEM HG with ARP Headstuds
HAFE Manifold and O2 housing, re-routed dump tube
CBRD/AMS Licp (modified)
ETS 3" FMIC
Stock upper pipe
ETS Inlet pipe

After a couple of days everything was finished and got the phone call that it was ready to be dynoed and tuned. I was gitty like a school girl
After final adjustments and tuning was completed, it put down 386awhp/331awtq NO KNOCK at all!!

Video of one of the pulls and a couple of pictures

Since then I've upgraded to a ETS 3.5in Catback Exhaust matted to a Cobb downpipe which CBRD installed. It actually belonged to Joe first, but he wanted something a little quiter, so I jumped on it and haven't looked back since.

Loud is an understatement. But I LOVE IT!!

I didn't think it could get any better then this. But after I sourced out a set of Volk TE-37's from Evo-L I had Chad find me a set of tires. He informed me that the rear fenders would need to be trimmed to avoid any rubbing issues. I left it up to him and of course him and Mark did their handy work.

At this past weekend's Evo meet.

Overall, my Evo is daily driven and I have not had one single issue with it yet. From Day 1 Chad and Mark are the only guys that have worked on my Evo and there's a reason. Experience and Perfection. As you can tell from the videos and most of pictures, the shop is unbelievable. Extremely clean and everything in it's place. Which is a trait i'm sure Chad developed in his racing career. One of the cleanest facilities that I've ever stepped into.
From simple bolt on parts to serious builds, these guys do awesome work. I couldn't imagine anyone else working on my Evo. Sorry for being lengthy and whoring out my car a little, but pictures,videos, and personal experiences speak louder than words. Thanks

and to all the haters out there...

Last edited by Goldfinger978; Sep 16, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Your car looks great! I was there the day Mark was was fitting your wheels... to get retuned.

There is one thing I would get rid of though is that ARC plug cover...

Oh yea how much boost was the R32 pushing?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Great post George. I feel 100% the same way as you do. There is not another shop i would ever think about doing work to my car. Chad and Mark are the only 4 hands that go near my car.

Your car has progressed into a beast man. Cant wait to see the wheels in person
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AWESOME george!!

she looks great on the volks!!!! youre going to steal my new 19's arent ya

cant wait to get her on the rollers when it cools down... maybe an alky kit and well over 400? yummy!

cb
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kreionic
Great post George. I fell 100% the same way as you do. There is not another shop i would ever think about doing work to my car. Chad and Mark are the only 4 hands that go near my car.

Your car has progressed into a beast man. Cant wait to see the wheels in person
what's really funny is, mark and my hands together dont match one of calebs LMAO!

cb
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
what's really funny is, mark and my hands together dont match one of calebs LMAO!

cb
LMAO
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DS-03evo
Oh yea how much boost was the R32 pushing?
Only 6lbs. If i had to do it all over again, I probably would of went with a Streetwerke Turbo kit or a HPA kit. The supercharger wasn't much fun to be honest with yea
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Nice car man. I've been to CBRD once and it won't be my last. Great shop and Great Review... I myself am a Huge VW/Audi fan. I'm all about APR. Use to have 1.8t with APR k04-001 set-up with all APR bolt-ons, FK coils,Peloquin LSD,etc. But a S/C .:R32 must be fun and the sound of a vr is pure badass. I'm glad someone is using a H&R set-up on an Evo. I didn't think they exsist on Evo's lol....But again sick car man how do you like the hybrid?

Last edited by Show286; Sep 16, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

nice post.. very insightful. I plan to do much to my car at that shop as well. Hopefully in a matter of a few short months.

~Chug
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Show286
But again sick car man how do you like the hybrid?
Love it so far. It's seen 26.5lbs all day since install, very quick spool and plenty of power. Yea, i'm on my 5th dub. 05 1.8T, .:R, 84 Rabbit GTi, 97 TDi, and my '84 GLi.

Still have the TDi and GLi...

Old Sep 17, 2008, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD

cb
That's b/c he's the missing link!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the TE37s.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car looks great with the black volks and blue lugs.

I'm another firm believer of CBRD, I wouldn't have anyone else touch my car. You know what they say... Once you go Block, you never go back. lol...
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

nice post. The car looks great!!