Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Very disappointed with some of the dealers here....South Coast Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very disappointed with some of the dealers here....South Coast Mitsubishi

Hi guys,

After selling my race Miata, I had some extra money and wanted to get into something a bit nicer and less cramped. After browsing the forums a bit, I went ahead and took most people's advice and went to look for my X. First dealer that I was working with was Puente Hills Mitsubishi and these guys say a bunch of BS to get you in the door. Then later says, "you don't qualify for this, you don't qualify for that, and you don't qualify for anything so your price is now this!"

Being fed up, I took most of the Socal guys' advice and went to South Coast Mitsubishi. I originally spoke with a few sales guys there and then the SMASH man himself - Sam.

My fiance and I filled out the credit application and sent it in. Then the sales guy says that I can't be on the loan because of my credit standings. Ok....No problem- my fiance gave me the approval of getting it in her name. So now I'm talking with Sam about the car choices I have. They don't have the one I originally wanted, but we worked out a good deal.

Then I go ok, let's get everything ready since both me and my fiance have very busy work schedules. Then no response for like 2 days. I call in to check in (they're always busy by the way which is understandable). The salesman tells me they have our credit scores, but no credit report. He puts Sam on the line and they tell us to re-fax the application. So I do.....and then no call back again for 2 days. I had to constantly call in for my status.

I know the guys there may be busy at times, but I honestly think if they want our business....they should keep us in the loop. I really wanted this car (picked it over a used E46 M3), but I'm seriously doubting that I'll have a good ownership experience if these guys can't even get a simple credit app and walk it over to their finance guys.

Another thing that really made me agitated was the fact that I was complaining about their services and the smart *** salesman (don't know his name since he was ANOTHER sales guy I talked to) decides to remark: "yeah well we sell over 50 evos a month, so we're busy all the time!"

In my head, I was thinking "Are you kidding me? You guys must be all millionaires to treat your customer like tha!"

I would really like to speak to someone there that can put a *****slap on the whole situation because my experience there hasn't been too great so far. I wanted to pick my X up ASAP, but looks like they don't really care about the situation.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This post will not solve any of these issues man.

Best thing is always go in person when you do serious business.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:15 PM

I'm not here to solve issues on this matter. Just wanted to vent my frustration in the meantime. Like I mentioned before, both my fiance and I are always at work too. We did everything we could on our end, wanted to go in sign papers, pay my down payment, and be off.

I have bought several cars in the past using the same method.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about his experience on the forums for other to learn from...

However, to the OP. I suggest putting it in the Reviews section of the site. {thumbsup}
Old May 6, 2009, 01:23 PM

^^

Will do. Mods....you are to move this post to the Reviews section?

I'm a bit new here....but lovin' every minute of it!
Old May 6, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds to me that your credit may not be where it needs to be to complete the sale..
Old May 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Sounds to me that your credit may not be where it needs to be to complete the sale..
x2
Old May 6, 2009, 01:46 PM

I'm not buying the car with my credit....My Fiance's credit score is just shy of 720.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
This.

I mean seriously, if you don't qualify, you don't qualify. Its not the dealer's fault. Its also not their job to tell you "No. You don't qualify." Don't know if its the same in every state, but we're not allowed to tell someone they don't qualify, only the bank can - in writing.

You'll start getting letters in the mail from all the banks they tried to get you approved through saing "No." in a few days.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by epikeddie
I'm not buying the car with my credit....My Fiance's credit score is just shy of 720.
Okay my last response was before I saw this. Again, don't know how things work in your state, but if you are on the loan as a cosigner and you have a bad score, it could drag things down to where they won't approve it. Especially if your debt to income ratio is out of whack.

If she's just going to get it in her name, but let you drive it, we call that a straw purchase here, and it is illegal. The only way someone can buy a car to let someone else drive that isn't on the loan is if they are a minor. Obviously you are neither. Your fiancee's 720 means nothing if she's already got her own car loan, credit cards etc etc and trying to get a second loan just so you can have an Evo.

Like I said, straw purchases are illegal in some places, no wonder they won't call you back.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:49 PM

Well that's that then I guess......

You guys really don't read the whole post and automatically assume it's my credit lol

I'm not even using my credit, my significant other is, and I'm just venting to begin with lol

I was here to share my experience with a couple of dealers in the Socal area. And here in California, if you don't qualify- they tell you to your face and you get a letter.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

You guys really don't read the whole post and automatically assume it's my credit lol.
I did read the whole post, you said:
Then the sales guy says that I can't be on the loan because of my credit standings.
So of course we assume its your credit.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:53 PM

Read the sentence after that and that should explain what we were going to do
Old May 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Read the sentence after that and that should explain what we were going to do
I did.
Ok....No problem- my fiance gave me the approval of getting it in her name.
I told you, that's a straw purchase. Illegal or not, most all banks won't allow this to occur. They will already be on to you if they sent the application in prior with both your names on it, and then suddenly resubmit it and removing your name. They'll want to know why you're suddenly off the loan, and who is going to be driving the car. This means an automatic DECLINE because they won't allow you to drive a car that is in someone else's name. History tells us these types of loans have among the highest default rates.

Even if they wisely sent the ap in to a fresh bank that hadn't see an prior ap with both your names on it, what if your fiance already has a bunch of stuff on her credit? Beacon score is not the only metric, debt to income is very important. IF she's already maxed out, they won't let her tag on another car payment.

The bottom line is, if they could have gotten you done, you'd be rollin'. No dealers are turning away business just cuz.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Another tip is you can click on the icon in the left pane of the thread, looks like a "Warning Icon" (red and white triangle with exclamation in the middle). Click that and ask a mod to move it.

Quick Reply: Very disappointed with some of the dealers here....South Coast Mitsubishi