Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

H&R Front sway bar review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
H&R Front sway bar review

Well, let me start by saying that I autox and have almost all the suspension done....
Poly bushings all over, rear camber arms, rear toe arms, etc. I did however have yet to do a front sway bar....I already have the Hotchkis rear adj sway bar.
All I have to say is...Holy front end grip and stability. If your car has a problem feeling "twitchy or light" over bumps going around a turn or whatever, this will absolutely cure it.
It took a little over an hour to put in (with lift and professional tools) and is one the best mods I have ever done. I knew that it would make a difference, but not like it did. Unreal and a very happy customer.
I'm going to get the rear one next week...it's a 27mm adjustable, rather than 24 or 25, whatever the Hotchkis is. I hope this thread/review can help some people out.
By the by, this is the only true front adj sway bar you can buy, I believe. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Sep 4, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. Many people think that front sway bar with add understeer. NOT true. I did the DIY front sway bar mod on my last Evo. Though, it's not as effective and actually adding a real sway bar, it made a big differance like you said.

Did you install it yourself? Do you have to drop the subframe completley, or did you just loosen up the back? Do you need to disconnect any PS lines from the rack? I assume you had to do another alignment since you disconnected the steering column.

I've been wanting to do a front sway bar, but it seems like too much effort especially since I'd be doing it by myself after a 12 hour day of work

I'd do the DIY mod again, but that was ALOT of work. It took me two days just to dril two holes, haha.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot

I <3 FSB. Such a great mod on the Evo.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I'm a VW tech with a lot of tools at my disposal, so it "only" took about 2 hours(and that's with having to use a torch for the links). I just removed the bolt from the lower column (behind the plastic), remove the trans mount bolt, and remove all subframe bolts/nuts. I did not have to realign the car afterwards. I basically let the subframe hang with the control arms still connected. I gave plenty of room for R/R. Oh yeah, obviously had to remove the DP and front underbar w/ mount. It's really not that bad once you get into it and if you have the right tools. There is no way this could be done without tools and a lift. If you attempt to do this at home or without good tools, it will extend that 2 hours into an easy 4. There is plenty of slack in the PS lines if you just let it hang like I mentioned.

Edit: I did an autox yesterday and all I have to say is WOW! The car handled so neutral and predictable without a touch of understeer. This mod helped me shave almost a full second off my times. If that's not proof enough for this mod, then I don't know what is. Do not believe the myths of massive understeer.

H&R spends a lot of time with R&D, it has taken them this long to come out with sway bars for an evo. When you see a company like this come out with a set of sway bars of this size, it should make you think. Not to mention grease free bushings, no relocating brackets, etc.

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Sep 6, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. I'm a Honda tech so I have a lift and tool at my disposal as well. I think next spring I might give a front sway bar a shot instead of the DIY mod. I know for a fact they're effective for the DIY mod, but I'm looking foward to an actualupgraded sway bar
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

^ That was my theory as well. I will cut corners on some things, but this was not one of them. Mostly since I'm racing every weekend. If it were just a DD, then sure, the DIY mod would be just fine. This is an awesome upgrade, especially if you don't want the excessive spring rates. With the amount of roll this has taken away from the car, I'm pretty sure I would of had to but on about 12kg springs for the same result.