Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Air power Tech high flow cat/test pipe first impressions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air power Tech high flow cat/test pipe first impressions

I got it a few days ago but didnt get a chance to take pics or do a first impression until now. I havent done it with my other parts yet but to be frank I wasnt taken back like with this. The quality is great, It comes with a 200 cell high flow cat which they claim is good for 500+ whp, which is great because it keeps my car closer to legal and I will be able to pass inspection and still get to my goals I want out of the car, 350-400 whp. The welds in it are cleaner and better then on my magnaflow exhaust. And the cost is cheaper then any one I have found yet, 220 shipped off ebay. I took a few quick pictures but there are more if you just look for them on ebay. I would highly recomend these to anyone, both for the quality and price. You will be hard pressed to find a better combination from my experiance. There arent what appears to be burn marks on the cat in the photo, they are shadows. Also I am getting my act clutch and MAP flywheel installed later this week thurs-friday, So later next week or in two weeks after some miles I will have a full review of the MAP flywheel http://s932.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/evo%20parts/
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A 200-cell HFC is still going to eat up ~10whp on a stock turbo setup.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
A 200-cell HFC is still going to eat up ~10whp on a stock turbo setup.
But some of us live in states where they handicap you greatly to try and cut down on people highly moding cars. ITs good because you wont chew through o2 sensors and you will still pass inspection and be "street legal"
Old Feb 5, 2011, 08:10 AM

Cirodesign racing has a 100-cell high flow cat...suppose to be the highest flowing one available. So you think it will eat the O2 sensor feven aster?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Mil.Spec also sells a 100-cell HFC. Nothing to worry about regarding the rear o2 sensor, not like you're trying to run leaded gas.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:20 PM

Any time you increase the flow of the cat it is going to burn through the sensors more. Try running without one I promise you within 5 days your o2 sensor will be shot. I know I have done it.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gman88
Any time you increase the flow of the cat it is going to burn through the sensors more. Try running without one I promise you within 5 days your o2 sensor will be shot. I know I have done it.
What are you talking about?

1.) The primary o2 sensor that helps control the a/f ratio during closed loop operation (normal driving, non WOT etc...) is before the catalytic converter! And they usually last a very long time.

2.) The secondary o2 sensor only checks if the catalytic converter is working. Does foul for running catless unless you flood it.

3.) If your running a wideband. The manufacturers o2 sensor are supposed to be before the cat to accurately measure the a/f ratio.

I bought my Evo IX brand new. Been catless since I put 7k miles on it and now I have 38k miles. All the sensor are working perfectly and I also am running an AEM wideband.

Most people foul o2 sensors because of the position they have it set up. Water gets to it from condensation build between stops. Best place to put it is vertically facing down or > 90*.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gman88
Wrong.

My old IX has over 60k catless miles, my wife's WRX has nearing 50k miles, and my X is at 13k miles.

How many shot rear o2 sensors? ZERO.