Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Spec-Ops to the rescue!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spec-Ops to the rescue!!!!!

This review has been a long time coming but I have actually been enjoying the car for the first time since I had it built.

I had a issue a few months ago shortly after a Quartermaster 8-Leg clutch job and Built Transfercase for stock transfercase swap.

The car was increasingly harder and harder to get into gear. I had just had the car shipped to Raleigh and I was driving it to work but I knew something was seriously wrong when the car shut off in normal driving. I started making my way to Spec-Ops in FayetteNam and gave them call.

Josh said they' be waiting on me. After limping the car there the first thing Matt and Jason notice is the transmission is coming off the block. Kinda explains a few things right?!!

I'm pissed at this point. I just spent about 3k to get the car running and its down again for the 3rd time. I'm thinking I'm just gonna sell the damn car at this point. Too much heartbreak and I barely have driven it. Matt convinced me to let them go through it and see whats wrong.

So after taking the car apart a few days later they call me with the good and bad news. Because the transmissions was barely hanging on and they wanted ot make sure nothing was jacked in the bottom end up so they dropped the oil pan and everything was good there. That was the good news. The bad news: Bell housing was cracked which is why it was sliding off the block (bolt was missing) and bolts on the pressure plate were loose which is what allowed the flywheel to get loose, warp and take the starter out (Couldn't get the car started after getting to there).

So, so far after my brand new clutch install (To correct the first shops mistake) and a blown BUILT transfercase (Another of the first shops mistakes) its discovered that they and the 2nd shop completely missed the cracks in the bell housing on the transmission, throwing into question the transmissions health and clearly needing a flywheel and starter for the car.

Mad isn't the word. Disappointed, tired, disinterested. I paid for half the labor cost upfront and even though Spec-Ops said they'd get me right I had my doubts. They have a good track record online but I've been down this road and heard it all before, from people I knew well and trusted no less.

Matt understood how I felt and said the only way he could guarantee that Spec-Ops can get me on the road with no issues is to have my built trans sent back to Shep to have them take a look. I didn't really want to spend another 1k, 2k, 3k.....whatever it was going to cost but I also knew I even if I wanted to sell it I would need ot get it fixed. Reluctantly I agreed.

I left the shop after my wife came and got me in old reliable (Her 08 STi go figure) and I did some serious soul searching. I had some time (yet again) since the car was going to be down for a while (Shep takes a while).

Long story short I got on the phone with Travis after they had a chance to look at everything and he gave me the run down: Input shaft binded, 1st gear shot, 2nd gear chipped, syncros, sliders 1 and 2 gear set all needed to be replaced. I was sick to my stomach on how much everything was going to cost but Travis assured me it was the cheapest option and they were going to give me a discount for being a repeat customer so I agreed to it and after paying Spec-Ops, Shep started work.

After a few weeks they sent the transmission back. While this was all going on I was negotiating what the previous shop who did the work was willing to pay and not. In the end we ended up going half on labor (I thought that was fair) and they bought a flywheel and used starter. We settled up. My wife was commuting back and forth between Raleigh and Atlanta before her and my kids moved up so I asked her to drop some parts off on Sunday (or Monday.......I can't remember). It was a day Spec-Ops normally wasn't open but they met her @ the shop to get the parts from her.

Cars finally about to go back together and one of the techs discovers that one of the discs is cracked and needs to be replaced. They call me and tell me right away. I was pissed because the car had sat for so long and it wasn't discovered in all that time. I asked them to have Matt call me and I expressed my frustration to him on the phone.

he asked for sometime to find out what was going on and what needed to be done and said he would call back. When he did he explained how it was missed and apologized. I could either replace the plate that was cracked or buy his Exedy SD that needed to be rebuilt. I decided to have them rebuild the Quartermaster. Its not a part they normally use so it took a bit of digging but one of their vendors was able to get the part drop shipped. More money spent but after speaking to Matt and him allowing me to "let my frustrations out" he gave me his personal cell and asked that I call him if I was unhappy with anything else.

That meant alot. I felt like he really cared about the situation even though there was really nothing that could be done. Parts came in 2 days later. Car was put together the day I came back from a business trip and I decided i would drive it until Import Alliance in Charlotte. If I felt like I'm still indifferent about it then I would entertain selling it.

Spec-Ops assured me the car would hold up and I would be happy.

They were right.

I'm still kinda paranoid with new sounds and squeaks and noises but I can honestly say this is the first time i can truly enjoy the car and I'm slowly loosing the fear of something going wrong.

And I owe it all to Spec-Ops. They were right. I've loosely chronicled my issues with shops and have pretty much sweared them off.

Spec-Ops has single handedly restored my faith in them. Hell last weekend for the first time I went to a speed shop just to hang out....not because I had to be there (Got to meet Freddie finally.......Mikey you are the last one), and it brought back the feeling I used to have when it came to this hobby.

I know I have the tendency to write sermons but I truly believe in giving credit where its due and in order for me to try to convey how grateful I am not only to them getting me on the road but helping me fall in love with my Evo all over again, I felt the backstory and play by play was necessary.

So Spec-Ops this is a BIG THANK YOU. Thank you for reminding me even though they may be few and far between.....there is such a thing called Shops who know what they are doing and don;t try to rip you off.

You guys are awesome. And you have made not only a customer out of me but a friend. I look forward to letting guys get loose on my wifes STi and some more upgrades for my Evo in the VERY distant future (LOL, I need to recoup financially).

Thanks again boys. Can't express how happy I am.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
holy crap! what caused your bell housing to crack? glad you got that all sorted out man. nice write up.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

More then likely when the motor went the first time. It was pretty violent. Bent the balance shaft in half.

1st shop didn't catch it at all. So between them not catching that and either assembling the triple carbon I had wrong or installing it wrong the first clutch died after a few weeks.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
Account Disabled

Smurf, we truely appreciate the review, and look forward to helping you out in anyway we can in the future!

One thing to reitterate, we usually would not pull out a clutch that had 500 miles on it as anyone would expect it to be good to go, but with all the damage that Shep found with the tranny, we decided to pull it and inspect it to make sure everything was good to go before installing the new trans and finding yet another issue.

We look forward to seeing you at IA in Charlotte, and it was good meeting you this past weekend, and was nice just being able to sit and talk with a customer, and not talk about what needs to be repaired and how much it is gonna cost. We appreciate when people drop by just to hang out, especially when we aren't covered up and have time to chill. Car looked great BTW, just a few more small things the button up on your can and it will be golden!

Last edited by Spec-Ops1; Jun 26, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man. If Fayetteville wasn't so damn far I'd probably come hang out every weekend. LOL. I'm gonna try and hustle to get some of the stuff Matt and I talked about for my wife's car done before IA. I know she won;t want to be the slowest car out there.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

LOL, hope you weren't in the dog house too much for leaving your wife in Raleigh!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for bringing the Evo by brother. Your welcome at the shop anytime and I definitely look forward to getting your wife's STI done right before IA. We have had a lot of success on the VF48 STI's will minimal mods.

Appreciate you taking the time to write a review as well! See ya soon.

-Matt
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its nice to find good people.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

Very nice Smurf, glad Spec-Ops got you fixed up!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. I think more important then getting the car right was finding a shop that cares and knows what its doing.

Mistakes are just that. Its how its handled and Spec-Ops has been nothing short of awesome.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Smurf, we truely appreciate the review, and look forward to helping you out in anyway we can in the future!

One thing to reitterate, we usually would not pull out a clutch that had 500 miles on it as anyone would expect it to be good to go, but with all the damage that Shep found with the tranny, we decided to pull it and inspect it to make sure everything was good to go before installing the new trans and finding yet another issue.

We look forward to seeing you at IA in Charlotte, and it was good meeting you this past weekend, and was nice just being able to sit and talk with a customer, and not talk about what needs to be repaired and how much it is gonna cost. We appreciate when people drop by just to hang out, especially when we aren't covered up and have time to chill. Car looked great BTW, just a few more small things the button up on your can and it will be golden!
in that situation i would HOPE any shop would pull the clutch apart. he said pressure plate bolts were loose also.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
Account Disabled

Jesus, Tom really... Why is it everytime you seem to post in another vendors thread you find some way to stick your foot in your mouth, or your nose where it doesn't belong? I am trying to be as politically correct with this post as possible, and rewrote it about 6 times as to not get infractions...
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Jesus, Tom really... Why is it everytime you seem to post in another vendors thread you find some way to stick your foot in your mouth, or your nose where it doesn't belong? I am trying to be as politically correct with this post as possible, and rewrote it about 6 times as to not get infractions...
are you ok? i didn't say anything out of line.. you must be having a bad day. no idea why you're upset.

just implying it should be mandatory for a shop to inspect the entire clutch system if it comes loose like it did.

another words i was agreeing with what you guys did.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Honestly I didn't see anything Tom said wrong looked to me he was agreeing with you? Nothing to get pissy over bra. I mean if the thing was acting up its right to pull everything appart to check. I mean its safety doing so and added insurance. I think he was more commending you on doing it right and not cutting corners and tring to upset you.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Jun 26, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Ya i was just trying to back you up man.. you read what i said the wrong way. its not a big deal though. i was just trying to support you so others seen someone else agreed also.. i would do the same thing in that situation.. i feel you guys handled the situation 100% perfect.

i suppose i could of reworded it differently, but to my defense i posted it when i just woke up.. sorry if you read it the wrong way.. definitely wasn't meant to be in that way at all.

Quick Reply: Spec-Ops to the rescue!!!!!