Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Squash Performance Double Pumper

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Squash Performance Double Pumper

I would like to thank Andy for his help and great service during the install. As part of my new motor setup and preparing for E85 I decided to purchase a double pumper unit from Squash Performance. Since I was already running a Walbro 400 I decided to go with twin Walbro 400's for my setup. I purchased this unit with a Walbro 400 and shipped him my used Walbro 400 and factory undrilled siphon. I also ordered two sealed relays from Squash with made to order pigtails. Below is what I received from Squash.

It might be good to take a step back and describe my fuel system with pictures.

Squash Unit has -8 supply and -6 return

From the Squash unit I run a -8 line to a custom 1/2" SS hardline

The custom hardline runs from the back of the car to the front and has male -8 stainless AN fittings welded to each end.

From the hardline at the front of the car I run a -8 line to a filter with EFI fittings that I purchased from Squash. Squash sells the filter with a nice bracket and clamp and says it is used successfully on 800+ hp setups.

From the filter I run a -8 line to the fuel rail and connecting to the fuel rail with a -8 fitting from STM.

On the backside of the fuel rail I made a custom bracket and mounted a small Aeromotive FPR. I really like how this turned out because you don't have to worry about finding a mounting location.

From the FPR I run a -6 line to the ethanol sensor. I found a great place to mount this unit on the firewall.

From the ethanol sensor I run a -6 line to the factory supply line. Yep I am using the factory supply as the return line. All I had to do was purchase a $25 fitting to convert the 14mm inverted flare to a -6 an.

The factory supply line is a 5/16" line that uses an EFI connector in the back. So I went to Autozone and purchased a 5/16" to 3/8" (-6) 90deg fitting. From this I ran a -6 line to the squash unit. On the left is the factory unit.

Ok, so that is the fuel system and here is what it took for the install. I will have to add pictures because some of the things done have not been documented.

1) Place the car on jackstands
2) with ~1/4 tank of gas I loosened the 4x nuts that secure the tank to the frame. I loosened them until the nut was even with the end of the stud. Having some gas in the tank ensured the tank would lower as I loosened the nuts.
3) I then placed a floor rack under the drivers side of the tank with a 2x4 in between so I didn't damage the tank.
4) I removed the 2x nuts from the driver's side and lowered the tank as far is it would go.
5) removed the old pump housing placed some cardboard over the open tank.
6) I removed the factory lines bolted to the tank by removing the 8mm nut that resides on the top of the tank. I will post a picture later, but you have access the nut from the top and it is a snug fit to get your hand in there. I ended up using an 8mm wratchet wrench with a flexible head. 8mm wratchet wrench with a flexible head
7) once the nut is removed you can snake out the factory lines on the driver's side of the tank. This leaves you plenty of room to run a -6 and -8 line. I used nylon covered lines because SS braided lines chew up everything they touch.

Here is a pic I found on the web.

I then focused on modifying the cross over tube. Although I did this without lowering the tank I recommend you do this with the tank lowered. The EFI fitting on the Squash unit is ~3" closer to the passenger side so you have to either shorten the line or do what I did. Remove the tank access panel on the passenger side and disconnect the EFI fitting that supplies from the saddle. The crossover tube is connected by two clips. If the tank is lowered you can probably reach your hand in and just remove them from the clips on either side of the car. Below is a picture of a clip next to the line. I just wiggled the line back and forth and it eventually just came out of the clips.

To shorten the crossover tube I clamped it to my bench and then slide one side over 3" and secured to the bench with a clamp. Using a heat gun I worked the tube until it had accepted the new shape. I then snaked back through and installed on the tank. Fairly simple process, but again I recommend doing with the tank lowered.

After that you can raise the tank and tighten all of the bolts, but it might make it easier to do the wiring while the tank is slightly lowered. I ran my wiring with the tank secured, but either way is doable. I won't bore you with the wiring as this is straight forward, but I will at least show some pics for what I did and keep in mind my battery is in the trunk.

For now I only run a single Walbro 400 while running 93 octane and will trigger the secondary pump as a function of boost and E85 content. With the single Walbro 400 hotwired I have no issues controlling fuel pressure at idle. I did increase the base fuel pressure to 50psi only because the car was running very lean at idle on my new 10:1 Curt Brown motor. So instead of pulling out my laptop and tuning the idle I temporarily cheated. This weekend I will lower the baseline fuel pressure to 45psi and retune the fuel map.

Now the cool part. I decided to kick on the second Walbro 400 at idle to test whether the factory supply line (return) with factory undrilled siphon on the Squash unit would allow me to control fuel pressure. Keep in mind both pumps are hotwired through the relays. I had my 9yo son ground the relay to kick on the secondary pump and the result was no issue holding pressure at idle and only a slight increase in fuel pressure as would be expected. Please see the video below of the car at idle with the second Walbro 400 being cut on and off.
http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/EVO/E85/hotwire1.AVI

That concludes my review and I am happy with the results thus far and will try to add other pictures later. Thanks again to Squash Performance for their help and patience as well as a great product.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the review and lots of good information. And thank you for posting pictures up too. It will help me alot when i do my install.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
good job.

quick question. the 255 pumps come with that same small filter on the pump. you you can upgrade them to the bigger socks. can you put the bigger socks on the 400/416 pumps?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The larger socks aren't necessary. The socks that we use on these flow quite a bit more than most but still catch the big chunks of debris. You also run into a fitment issue where they hit the side of the tank or the unit won't seat down all the way into the tank. It's a close fit.

Andy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

I am still dealing with a few leaking fittings (not related to the Squash double pumper) so I temporarily have to use the stock FPR. With a single hot wired Walbro 400 I get ~50psi of base fuel pressure.

I decided to repeat the test by kicking on the second hot wired Walbro 400 using the stock regulator. I set the Haltech to kick on the pump above 2K RPM and what I found was the inability of the stock FPR to maintain fuel pressure. If you saw from the video above when using the Aeromotive FPR I got ~4psi increase in fuel pressure when kicking on the second pump.

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/EVO...kregulator.AVI

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Jan 28, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I decided to repeat the test by kicking on the second hot wired Walbro 400 using the stock regulator. I set the Haltech to kick on the pump above 2K RPM and what I found was the inability of the stock FPR to maintain fuel pressure. If you saw from the video above when using the Aeromotive FPR I got ~4psi increase in fuel pressure when kicking on the second pump.

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/EVO...kregulator.AVI
I repeated the test from the other day with the Aeromotive FPR. The only change is the fuel pressure regulator and what you see is no issue with the setup controlling fuel pressure with 2x Walbro 400's hotwired.

It is hard to tell, but you see a quick blip in the fuel pressure when the second pump kicked in at 2K RPM.

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/EVO...eregulator.AVI
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:20 PM

thanks for the great write up, i had two questions one was for the 14mm inverted fitting to 6an what was the thread pitch, and for the flex fuel sensor the slip fitting converted to 6 an where was that bought at? or part number please
Old May 4, 2013, 12:49 PM

I like your post, very detailed!!

I got three question:

1. What horsepower you expect to achieve from your build?
2. What type of Haltec you got installed?
3. Where did you get the Flexfuel sensor?

Alejo