Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Xede/SMART problems

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, did you remove the boost pill from the vac line? 12lbs of boost means you are running on the waste gate spring and the boost solenoid isn't doing much of anything. Check you maps and make sure table 4 - boost isn't all 0's. your boost wire is correct. Do you still have the factory vac line off of the boost solenoid? there is a send pill right at the wast gate that MUST be in there to work correctly.

Just a few things to think about...
Old May 3, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

No, I didn't remove the boost pill from the vac line. And I do have the factory vac line on the boost solenoid.

Question, when I started with the software it said to update the firmware so I did that. Then it said to download the map from xede and do a screen shot and then load the smart template, then copy over the numbers from the screenshot, save and burn. I never did that, I just loaded the 91oct map found on vishnu's site. Do you think that is my problem?

I will check table 4-boost after work. Thanks for the tips guys, I gotta get this working before the weekend, I'm racing at Gingerman Monday morning.

Last edited by Badog; May 3, 2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old May 3, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, so I just went over all my wires again. Everything matches up correctly. I opened up "SMART template pump gas.XM3" that I got from the secret folder at Vishnu, put my values into 3 tables it say's to, then uploaded it and burned it to the xede.

Same thing, boost only to ~12psi I checked all the vac lines and everything is tight, I never removed any lines before and didn't touch the pill in the line.

Just an observation, but when I turn the ignition to the On position, the xede's red light flashes, but when I start the car it stays solid green. Is that normal?

I can post a screen shot of my maps if needed...I'm really getting depressed over this. I thought it was supposed to be easy install.
Old May 3, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

well, it's simple if you have some experience... and pay close attention to the directions.
the pill in the boost line MUST be removed. check on the vishnu directions and it walks you through it step by step. if the pill is in the line, that's prolly the issue. don't give up now... you're almost there!
and yes, the flashing before you start and solid green after engine is started is good.

Last edited by puckadog; May 3, 2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Are you serious? I keep reading that I wasn't supopsed to remove it. hahah, Ok, I'll go remove it.

You're talking this one right?
http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_install_pill3.htm
Old May 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

yup, that's the one... follow the directions and after this you should be good to go.
let us know how yer doin
Old May 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by puckadog
well, it's simple if you have some experience... and pay close attention to the directions.
the pill in the boost line MUST be removed. check on the vishnu directions and it walks you through it step by step. if the pill is in the line, that's prolly the issue. don't give up now... you're almost there!
and yes, the flashing before you start and solid green after engine is started is good.
Yup that is the pill that MUST be removed.
Old May 3, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Got the pill out, re-uploaded the 91 octane map (just to be sure)...Still only 12psi

I'm gonna zero out my boost map and see what happens
Old May 3, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Just to keep you guys up-to-date...I'm waiting for a call back from Vishnu.
Old May 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Never got a call back, but I found out what the problem is. By having the blue and brown boost wires connected together (cause I'm an idiot and didn't notice that) it burned up the little magical connector on the xede plug that the factory ECU plugs into. It's melted pretty good. So I'm guessing that the harness is fried. Guess I'll try to call them tomoorow and see about getting a new one. My fear is that the xede box is damaged as well.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

ouch
Old May 4, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Super ouch. That was a not so great install from the start huh?
Old May 4, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, I was doomed from the get go I guess. It's my fault for letting people screw around in the garage while I was installing everything...That'll never happen again. You'd think being 40 yrs old that I would know better.

I bought a new harness and they are shipping it out overnight so I should be able to start from scratch and have everything running correctly tomorrow evening.

I'll keep you guys posted...Maybe I'll get to run at Gingerman Raceway Monday after all
Old May 5, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I figured I'd let you guys know what's up...Vishnu sent a new harness and I got it today. I took out everything and started over from step one. Got it all hooked up and now I know why the harness burnt. When stuffing all the wires up in the dash, it must have hit the metal bracket that grounds the ECU, that won't happen again, I made sure of that this time. So anyway, I made sure I still had a map on the Xede and then went for a little drive.

OMG!!! This thing runs awesome! I am very happy! All issues I was having are completely gone...The car pulls hard all the way up to 7800rpm, no hesitation, no power loss, just pure driving enjoyment again.

I want to thank you guys for helping me out, I really appreciate all the suggestions and help.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

glad to hear everything is ok now