Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

PROcede for the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PROcede for the Evo?

Shiv is making great progress on the BMW front...very nice indeed! Is there going to be a PROcede for the Evo capable of controlling MIVEC?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Hi guys,
Keeping the Xede name isn't an option. The Xede was not our product. We were just the nerds in charge of distribution and US application development/tuning. The product itself belonged a an Australian company. During the last 4 years of supporting the Xede, we took it as far as we could go with it given the hardware. But with a limited number of inputs and outputs, we simply couldn't do things like VANOS control, speed limiter defeats, closed loop boost control, etc,--- all the things we KNEW that we wanted to eventually do with the 335i (as well as in other applications). This is why we only used the Xede platform as for beta testing. And this is why we only released a couple dozen of them. We knew we would have to replace every single one when the ante is upped. No one wants to be left with old technology.

The beta period gave us the time and info we needed to quantify and address whatever limitations/shortcomings we could find. Every single diagnostic code that we tripped (thanks again to the beta guys for their feedback and understanding!), every single loss of CAS sync we logged, ever single little glitch we found was going to be addressed by our own system. Something that had the hardware guts we needed to move forward with. The Xede is going through a major redesign later this year and there's a good chance that it'll be back in the playing field in a new-and-improved form.

But the show must go on. As for the name, all of the people we asked, months back, liked it. Of course, we're always open to suggestions. If someone has a better name, let's hear it!

cheers,
shiv
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modvp
Shiv is making great progress on the BMW front...very nice indeed! Is there going to be a PROcede for the Evo capable of controlling MIVEC?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=100
Yeah, this all sounds like a scenario I was afraid of...https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&page=2&pp=15 post#25

I questioned something like this happening last year during the Xede sale they were having. It was asked if this was a precursor to obsolescence, getting all the old Xedes out...The reply was buy it now, there are "things" coming in the near future that made you glad you did.

Hmmmmmmmm, wonder what the "things" are and what is going to pan out with all this...expecially with less and less enthusiasm (my perception) for the Xede around here.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Feb 9, 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

here is a thread started by Lachlan regarding the future of the xede. looks promising. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=procede
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Read this as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46646
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Looks promising in that they are going to be pushing to a "new" Xede to replace the "old" Xede when you start wanting more inputs and outputs to control Alky injection, have the ability to actually have things react to manifold pressure as opposed to MAF signal, boost compensation, etc...

If the new unit actually has decent logging capabilities, the ability to monitor timing shifts easily (without having to watch one signal in logger program X and Xede stuff in comslog and yet more info through an OBDII datalogger), there will be a real carrot, and the value of what we currently have is going to go to crap.

On the flip side, Evo 9 guys should be all sorts of excited about this.

Wonder if Shiv will ever show the level of support and enthusiasm for the Evo 8-9 that he did when he was pushing SMART? as he does now for the 335i? The Vishnu camp used to be much more active in this area for support...that is one of the reasons that I went Xede as opposed to ECUplus. Shiv was in here answering questions, offering support, defending his product (well the product he rep'd...) With PROcede, do you think he will give that time to Xede users? I hope so...the Xede is a terrific product. Even with its limitations, it is an excellent unit for the folks that want fine resolution and have to live with OBDII pollution scans.

I hope they can come from behind in some of the features. I hope they have a very aggresive upgrade program when the new magic box appears.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Feb 9, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asasin79
here is a thread started by Lachlan regarding the future of the xede. looks promising. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=procede
He would do well to stick his head in here from time to time, as well.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The PROcede can be made to work with the IX. Will Vishnu? We don't know yet. One thing I know for sure, they'll continue supporting and custom tuning the existing XEDE customer base. I would definitely be happy to run either one of them on my IX. At this point, I guess its a little too early to call.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I don't doubt they will continue to support what they have put out...at what level and with what level of enthusiasm? Will the "old" Xede go the way of the 386? Will there be a viable upgrade path for those wanting to stay in the Vishnu camp?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The PROcede can be made to work with the IX. Will Vishnu? We don't know yet. One thing I know for sure, they'll continue supporting and custom tuning the existing XEDE customer base. I would definitely be happy to run either one of them on my IX. At this point, I guess its a little too early to call.
FWIW, we are already in the process of integrating the PROcede into our own Evo IX. It will control MIVEC, read actual ignition timing (not just offsets), offer closed loop boost control, offer charge temp compensations, launch control, gear dependant boost logic, etc,. We will continue to support the Xede to the fullest extent... nothing to worry about there.

cheers,
shiv
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

It’s good to know that the xede will not be taking the path of the UNIchip; that piggy back became a relic.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by modvp
It’s good to know that the xede will not be taking the path of the UNIchip; that piggy back became a relic.
The problem with the unichip system is the way the allow it to be supported. Unlike the unichip, anyone can offer XEDE support, because the tools allow one to do so. With the unichip, all the tools become useless when you are no longer a dealer.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, we are already in the process of integrating the PROcede into our own Evo IX. It will control MIVEC, read actual ignition timing (not just offsets), offer closed loop boost control, offer charge temp compensations, launch control, gear dependant boost logic, etc,. We will continue to support the Xede to the fullest extent... nothing to worry about there.

cheers,
shiv
How much I really didn't want to see this but I guess it had to be done due to the limits the Xede has reached with its inputs and outputs. I guess my next plea would be will SHIV be nice enough to offer a discount or some kind of exchange program for us Xede users so we can run the new BEST piggyback system.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

so whats PROcede look like? Im guessing its the same "box" shape, just another name associated with the "box"
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo23IG
How much I really didn't want to see this but I guess it had to be done due to the limits the Xede has reached with its inputs and outputs. I guess my next plea would be will SHIV be nice enough to offer a discount or some kind of exchange program for us Xede users so we can run the new BEST piggyback system.
I would like to see this, too... so this would be +74652847618097652108356
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

cheers,
shiv

I am going out on a limb and guessing that all innovation/development with the Xede is coming to a screeching halt?

Sooooo, what are we going to get with a $1300.00 PROcede???? I mean, that's a lot of cabbage!

--Will the supporting ECU flash be included and not extra, ala Xede?
--How many maps per bank?
--Map resolution?
--Thresholds? I am supposing so since you mentioned speed dependant functions
--Nesting of maps to go beyond 2D resolution? Floating variables?
--How many inputs/outputs?
--Of what type?
--Can 0-5v sensors (pressure, temp, octane sensor, skewed-angle-wanglelator, etc.) be used with these inputs?
--Can auxillary injectors be used with the outputs? Think sophisticated alky injection control or second fuel rail to kick-in with E85 in the tank.
--Is the CAS angle replication of the same quality that we are used too?
--Logging capabilites?
--How is the logging software to use? Hopefully not "load numbers to Xcel..."
--Will there be an actual alky injection module developed for the PROcede? Xede version didn't debut, I think.
--Will there be an O2 sensor controller on board, or will it remain external? Can SMART people use their Innovate products?
--Will there be support for other O2 controllers if it is external?
--USB connectivity? HINT, HINT...21st century in progress.
--Will it butter my toast????

And most of all:

--Will there be an upgrade program for those that have gone the Xede route and want to stay VISHNU-ized??

Inquiring minds want to know...I really don't like the idea of going away from the Xede (it's a comfort level thing...) I rather like how Xmap works. I rather like the ease of nesting maps, the logical thresholds. The input/output thing has been a pain form trying things (think boost compensation...thank goodness for users like Freedom!)

If the PROcede is the way of the future for piggybacks, I hope it is developed in house so Vishnu is intimately involved, and can react in the way say ECUplus does to user input/requests. This way you are not dependant on developers half a world away.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Feb 12, 2007 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: PROcede for the Evo?