Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Mitsu Tech Bulletin: Intermittent Missfire Code 300

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu Tech Bulletin: Intermittent Missfire Code 300

Gents:

I've recently experienced an intermittent missfire. First I checked the plugs and found the one and three had blowby and were fowling. Replaced them with NGKs that Brent sent me from Vishnu.

Ran fine for few days. But then I began to experience a missfire again as well as a very poor idle.

Went to my dealer today. Pulled the plugs again, but they were fine. We looked at the boots and the coils and see some evidence of arching in the one and three cylinder. Just on a whim my tech checks the TBs and see a recent 300 code intermittent missfires bulletin. The recommendation was simply to call the tech center. Which we are doing. I am also replacing the coils (warranty)

Question: Have any of you experienced anything similar to this and what was your cure???

Regards and thanks,
JS
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:40 AM
In Timeout

Re: Mitsu Tech Bulletin: Intermittent Missfire Code 300

I get the 0300 sometimes and I just clear the code. But I have not done anything yet.

Originally posted by jsotican
Gents:

I've recently experienced an intermittent missfire. First I checked the plugs and found the one and three had blowby and were fowling. Replaced them with NGKs that Brent sent me from Vishnu.

Ran fine for few days. But then I began to experience a missfire again as well as a very poor idle.

Went to my dealer today. Pulled the plugs again, but they were fine. We looked at the boots and the coils and see some evidence of arching in the one and three cylinder. Just on a whim my tech checks the TBs and see a recent 300 code intermittent missfires bulletin. The recommendation was simply to call the tech center. Which we are doing. I am also replacing the coils (warranty)

Question: Have any of you experienced anything similar to this and what was your cure???

Regards and thanks,
JS
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I am not sure of the code number, but the tech mentioned a misfire code. The dealer then replaced the coils, wires and plugs, since it was the second time in for the repair. I'm not sure if they talked to the tech center or not since this was over the Christmas holiday and Mitsubishi was closed.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW, we saw three completely stock EVOs in the last two weeks that were getting chronic misfire CELs. Seems to me that Mitsubishi still has some tweaking to do with their OBD-II diagnostic routines. Don't bother replacing coils or any hardware as I think the problem is with the ECU.

shiv
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I definitely get misfire on occasion.. completely stock ECU and at the moment, no piggyback.. Doesn't trigger a CEL light, but when I dump the codes for the ECU, the misfire code is there on occasion.. Not sure if this info will help you guys out..
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:58 AM

Shiv:

Would you speculate that it will be up to Mitsu to rectify. Or is there something we can do proactively with the Xede or Xflash.

I am running with both.

Your thoughts??

Regards,
JS
Old Feb 8, 2004, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Shiv,

Tried your plugs gapped at 24-25. Still have the 0300.

Stephen
Old Feb 8, 2004, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

yes mitsu is planning a remap of the ecu...had a tech at school the other day and he said they are planning a remap.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I wonder if this so they can check to see if you have had a re-flash or any other mods.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure if they will try to see if the programming has been altered. I'm fairly sure they'll just overwrite any program that is on the ecu and be done with it. So if yous was flashed, it would be reflashed by Mitsu back to stock....ach!

SC~
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:28 PM

I stopped by my local dealership today and there was a red evo in there having the same problem
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone hear about the validity of this re-flash?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The red evo is mine , it is also having a problem accepting the flash. They can pull codes but can't get the cpu to take the falsh. They are trying to tell me it is because I have a turbo timer and an aftermerket radio. I personally believe it is a computer issue, any thoughts or similar cases would be helpful.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:06 PM

I have had that code since the 1st 650miles on the car, 12,000 miles on the car and still no solution. Hopefully soon.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I just threw this code 2x in the last 2 weeks, seems to only happen on the highway of course. Mitsu better get their **** together quickly on this, it's going to bother a lot of folks!