Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

My Aquamist 2D Installation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Aquamist 2D Installation

I’ve been looking for a place to share my water injection installation here on Evom and now that we have a Water/Alcohol Forum, this seems to be the place. I installed an Aquamist 2D water injection system on my 2003 Evo back in 2004. I was originally running this same system in my 1994 Eagle Talon AWD for over 2 years. This attests to how well made and durable the Aquamist is. The failsafe precautions include the ability to sense a cut or plugged line and pump failure. You also have great product support from Richard at Aquamist. Along with a lot of experimentation and help from Richard, I’ve learned quite a bit through the years. I am currently running a Xede piggy back computer and I have the 2D wired in to cut back the boost to about 11 PSI in case of a failure. I also have a flow sensor that shows if my water mixture is flowing or not. This is not an Evo specific kit, everything that I’ve done was custom made. It was well worth it. I also tried to make sure that everything was easily accessible for easy maintenance, easy troubleshooting, and a low key appearance. I have been experimenting with straight distilled water and have been using a 50/50 mix of methanol and water as of late. The people in the East Coast and Midwest will never understand how bad our 91 octane really is out here and we need all the help we could get. So far with a Turbo-Back exhaust, K & N drop in filter, and the Xede, I’ve done a best of 12.99 @ 105 MPH at the California Speedway on the water mix. I’ve done a 12.75 @ 108 MPH on no injection with a 91 and 100 octane mix. Boost peaks at 21-22 PSI and tapers to 17-18 PSI by redline on all my runs. I still have some more tuning to be done to narrow that gap. Here are some pictures of my installation:

I used my windshield washer tank in the trunk as my water mixture reservoir. I wanted to keep my intercooler sprayer functional. I also used the rear window washer pump as a primer pump. This is to get the water mixture into the main pump immediately and to help increase the flow capacity. With the entire factory trim reinstalled, you would never know that there is a water injection system in the trunk.

The Aquamist pump and inline filter is mounted in the spare tire well. I run a 6mm fluid line from the pump to the engine compartment.

My pressure switch in mounted on a bracket next to the shock tower. This switch joins the fluid line from the pump and the accumulator, it then sends the water mixture towards the injection nozzle

Here is the accumulator, it acts as a reserve to help aid the flow of the water mixture coming from the pump. If the pump were to stop working, the accumulator will still keep pumping fluid through the nozzle into the engine.

The high speed solenoid valve is mounted on a bracket next to the firewall. The valve controls the flow rate of the pre-pressurized water mixture into the nozzle.

The Aquamist nozzle is mounted underneath the stock upper intercooler pipe.

My ashtray contains the FiA2 fuel injection amplifier and the DDS2 flow meter. The FiA2 mirrors the fuel injection pulses and feeds a signal to the high speed valve to allow a fixed water/fuel ratio. Like a fuel injector, in order to work properly your nozzle has to be sized right with your engine combo. My current set up requires only a small .6mm nozzle for the time being. The flow meter is great to have to monitor the flow of my water mixture.

Last edited by EvoTio; Jan 1, 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: evom deleted my original pictures
Old Dec 11, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice Joe! I'll should share mine too.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
Very nice Joe! I'll should share mine too.
Great Abner, would like to see it. Any other Aquamist installations, feel free to post.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

very clean install
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
very clean install
Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Great installation, I wonder if you are able to interface with the Smart function from the Xede successfully? Thanks for sharing the install pictures.

If it can work in a way where you can feed the "real-time" flowrate (DDS2) into the Xede to create and a/f correction map. This way even the there is a "partial block jet" or "partial clogged" filter, the afr can be modified to keep the engine running on a safer mode.

How do you keep the engine bay so clean?

Richard
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did you get that flow meter and how'd you wire it to the xede to cut down to 11 psi?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
where did you get that flow meter and how'd you wire it to the xede to cut down to 11 psi?
The flow meter is an Aquamist product called the DDS2, I ordered it from Georges Imports in Kansas City. For the boost reduction, I tapped into the boost solenoid wire and wired it in to a Bosch relay. I then hooked in the failsafe trigger wire from my Aquamist FiA2 fuel amplifier to trigger the relay to cut my boost to 11-12 PSI in case of a water injection failure. I used to have it wired to switch maps on my Xede, but I had to change it because my map switching function is not working at the moment. Do you have a Aquamist water injection system on your Evo?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
The flow meter is an Aquamist product called the DDS2, I ordered it from Georges Imports in Kansas City. For the boost reduction, I tapped into the boost solenoid wire and wired it in to a Bosch relay. I then hooked in the failsafe trigger wire from my Aquamist FiA2 fuel amplifier to trigger the relay to cut my boost to 11-12 PSI in case of a water injection failure. I used to have it wired to switch maps on my Xede, but I had to change it because my map switching function is not working at the moment. Do you have a Aquamist water injection system on your Evo?
No. I've got an Xede V2 in there now and have a SMC kit waiting for the warm weather for install.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
No. I've got an Xede V2 in there now and have a SMC kit waiting for the warm weather for install.
Good luck on your install. Post some pictures when you're done with your install. You'll probably have to consult SMC about a flow sensor and some way to install a failsafe set up. Our systems are quite different from each others.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Great installation, I wonder if you are able to interface with the Smart function from the Xede successfully? Thanks for sharing the install pictures.

If it can work in a way where you can feed the "real-time" flowrate (DDS2) into the Xede to create and a/f correction map. This way even the there is a "partial block jet" or "partial clogged" filter, the afr can be modified to keep the engine running on a safer mode.

How do you keep the engine bay so clean?

Richard
Hey Richard, nice to hear from you. Next time I see Shiv hopefully we can get everything working in harmony.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

jeff
Old Dec 13, 2005, 05:07 PM

Nice job, very nice job.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

EvoTio,

I wonder if you have hooked up the boost enable output to a boost valve so that you to incrtease the boost automatically when the correct water flow is detected - the DDS2 has such an output.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
EvoTio,

I wonder if you have hooked up the boost enable output to a boost valve so that you to incrtease the boost automatically when the correct water flow is detected - the DDS2 has such an output.
Richard, I'm just using the FiA2 fault wire at the moment to trigger a relay to reduce the boost. It's good to know that there is still another safety mechanism built into your kits. I have to get you those measurements for the inlet size of the 16G. The pre-compressor injection is something I would like to try next.

Quick Reply: My Aquamist 2D Installation