Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

DIY water-alcohol injection system

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Somebody please invent a solvent injection kit that lifts your right foot just before it malfunctions and fails to spray.
Its available and its called the Aquamist DDS3. With the right configuration and solenoid, this great little device will not allow the car to build boost beyond wastegate pressure when:

1 - alcohol/water level is low

2- when the flow of injectant is outside the SOA - safe operating area.

It can also be configured to "switch to a less aggressive" map when it sees a problem if you have an EMS capable of using this function.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How does it meter flow, is it in the actual line?
Is it H2O use only?
Will it work with stock ecu?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does it meter flow, is it in the actual line?
Is it H2O use only?
Will it work with stock ecu?
There is a flow sensor that you attach your water line to and it meters the water flow and converts it to a signal that is sent to the DDS3 display. It is independent from the ECU. It's designed to be run on water or a water mix of certain alcohols to my knowledge. Richard from Aquamist could tell you more about the alcohol compatibilities of this unit or mabe Abner may know also. I have the older version, the DDS2 in my set up and it works great. The DDS3 is more advanced and the way to go IMHO.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Water flow sensor

The flow sensor can read between 85cc/min to 450cc/min. When used in conjunction with the DDS3 gauge, you can extend the flow range upto 1000cc/min. The heart of the sensor is a turbine wheel that rotates at a speed proportional to water flow. In order to meter the water accurately, we put a small microcontroller to linearise the non-linearity response of the turbine. Output is 0.5-4.5V. Available separately or with DDS3 gauge.

The wetted parts (acetal) are made to withstand, water, pure alcohol, gasoline and diesel.

Here is a the sensor that the DDS3 gauge reads from:

Further readings;
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=690

Richard

Last edited by Richard L; Dec 18, 2005 at 05:38 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

DDS3 display

Follow the link to learn more about it:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/press/DDS3-v3-web3.pdf
Attached Thumbnails DIY water-alcohol injection system-123.jpg  
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard L
The wetted parts (acetal) are made to withstand, water, pure alcohol, gasoline and diesel.
The literature from aquamist didnt say anything about compatible solvents to use with it.

Would using anhydrous denatured ethyl, isopropyl, or methyl alcohol (no H2O content) work? I would be hesitant to use methanol over long periods on anything.

I'm sure ea. solvent will flow and perform differently, I'm looking for a setup that will achieve about 70% or less the boost commonly used on evos with methyl. I was thinking isopropanol would be good for this, it's also safer and more easy on various materials.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Since we only use water or methanol mix on our system, there is no point mentioning others until someone asks.
The meterial used in the construction is acetal, nylonm nitrilem, ptfe.. etc. You can search the internet for the chemical compatibility of acetal.
100% of methanol and iso- and denat- is also OK.

All our product is guarantee for one year. The DDS3 can calibrate the sensor for different type of liquid viscosity. If you use the sensor on its own, you can still do the calibration but requires a stablised voltage of 0-5V.

Four wires come out of the sensor:
1) +12-15V
2) 0V
3) 0.5V-4.5V signal out
4) 5V-0V calibration input.

Richard

The literature from aquamist didnt say anything about compatible solvents to use with it.

Would using anhydrous denatured ethyl, isopropyl, or methyl alcohol (no H2O content) work? I would be hesitant to use methanol over long periods on anything.

I'm sure ea. solvent will flow and perform differently, I'm looking for a setup that will achieve about 70% or less the boost commonly used on evos with methyl. I was thinking isopropanol would be good for this, it's also safer and more easy on various materials.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
The flow sensor can read between 85cc/min to 450cc/min. When used in conjunction with the DDS3 gauge, you can extend the flow range upto 1000cc/min. The heart of the sensor is a turbine wheel that rotates at a speed proportional to water flow. In order to meter the water accurately, we put a small microcontroller to linearise the non-linearity response of the turbine. Output is 0.5-4.5V. Available separately or with DDS3 gauge.

Here is a the sensor that the DDS3 gauge reads from:

Further readings;
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=690

Richard
I have an SMC kit uninstalled at this point that I am looking at retrofitting with a failsafe method of some sort. Will something like this work for me? How much is it and how would I use it in conjuction with my current system? Thanks...
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

The sensor alone will only give out a voltage signal proportional to flow, you need to find a way to utilise the signal. If you have a programmable engine management system that use this signal to either switch map or lower boost.

or

You can purchase the DDS3 kit (all control electronics inside) to increase your boost when the flow is within the user-determined window - if you have a EBC.

These are very brief details. I need to know more details of your set up before going further.

Items such as:
1) onset of the injection at what boost level.
2) do you have a boost controller, Manual or Electronuic etc.
3) nozzle size so that I can determine the flow. Assuming it is running 100psi?

There are a few US dealers that knows this product very well, which part of the US are you located? try to find an Aquamist agent near you if you decided for get it fitted by some one else.

I think "Slowcar" knows this product very well, he may be able to help you on the wiring - but I still need the details of the SMC system.

Richard

Originally Posted by aresix6
I have an SMC kit uninstalled at this point that I am looking at retrofitting with a failsafe method of some sort. Will something like this work for me? How much is it and how would I use it in conjuction with my current system? Thanks...
Old Dec 18, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I am currently running an XEDE with SMART and I think the standard nozzle size is a number 7? On the side is stamped MW7...

As for the onset, it uses an SMC proprietary progressive controller box that references boost that I can set to begin spraying from 0-20 PSI and set the point of maximum spray between 0-20 PSI

oh and I live in Northern Cali...

Last edited by aresix6; Dec 19, 2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info.

I have one more question, do you have a boost controller?

Richard

Yes, I am currently running an XEDE with SMART and I think the standard nozzle size is a number 7? On the side is stamped MW7...

As for the onset, it uses an SMC proprietary progressive controller box that I can set to begin spraying from 0-20 PSI and set the point of maximum spray between 0-20 PSI

oh and I live in Northern Cali...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

no, no boost controller, the XEDE uses the factory boost solenoid to control boost...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:07 AM
Former Sponsor

OK,

If you cut one of the wire to the solenoid, will it drop the boost back to the wastegate setting?

I am think that if this works, we can use the DDS3 to cut boost by disconnecting the solenoid.

Will you be able to try to let me know? all you need to do is unplug the electrical connect to the boost solenoid.

Richard

no, no boost controller, the XEDE uses the factory boost solenoid to control boost...
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm, I could try that....I'll have to do it later when I get off work...

Last edited by aresix6; Dec 19, 2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

DDS3 liquid flow sensing system

I have done a brief sketch of the DDS3 wiring diagram so you can see how the system can be integrated together to form a "failsafe" mechanism. It can almost be used with any water injection system on the market.

Richard

Quick Reply: DIY water-alcohol injection system