Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

meth corrosive to aluminum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard L
You can possibly accelerate the ali corrosion by pinning a brass or stainless component to it in the same solution.
cathodic/sacrificial protection...they bolt chunks of aluminum/zinc/magnesium alloy to ships to protect the steel
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey thanks for doing that experiment, they are fun huh!
I use to be in the HPLC (HIGH PRESSURE LIQUID CHROMOTOGRAPHY) business fixing blood testing machines for laboratories. Was a cool job and also had access to HPLC methonal,

From more research, guys racing for a living make sure the fuel is flush out to make sure no meth is left in the "system" especially in the combustion chamber.
it dont take much to do damage to aluminum, you ever see that experiment of someone taking a nail and putting a dinky scratch through a soda can then filling it with hydrochloride. After a minute the whole aluminum can is like butter and can rip apart because of the chemical reaction.
Now of course methonal wont have this violant reaction, but over time it can create a small "hot spot" in your engine potentiallly causing detonation.

again im not knocking the use of it, i think its great. But with so many people having problems with meth injection, im certain a lot of these have this problem, they just need to be informed and take the appropiate precautions is all im saying.
im planning on using it still
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

so....whose alky kit will you be getting?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:14 PM
Account Disabled

im probably going to build my own kit, depends on price. even if i get a kit I will design my own additonal fail safes anyways.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

actually, one of the by-products of combustion, from methanol or intentional injection of water, steam cleans carbon deposits very well. it is these carbon "ambers" that cause predetonation.

i ran water in my viii and here are the plugs, right = water injection, left = no water
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...5&d=1136456201
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
im probably going to build my own kit, depends on price. even if i get a kit I will design my own additonal fail safes anyways.
DIYers
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

yes it does steam clean, but after that chemical reaction takes place you cant simply steam clean it. thats why its good to add like 10% water to help get that crap out before it starts that chemical reaction.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I use to be in the HPLC (HIGH PRESSURE LIQUID CHROMOTOGRAPHY) business fixing blood testing machines for laboratories. Was a cool job and also had access to HPLC methonal,

From more research, guys racing for a living make sure the fuel is flush out to make sure no meth is left in the "system" especially in the combustion chamber.
it dont take much to do damage to aluminum, you ever see that experiment of someone taking a nail and putting a dinky scratch through a soda can then filling it with hydrochloride. After a minute the whole aluminum can is like butter and can rip apart because of the chemical reaction.
Now of course methonal wont have this violant reaction, but over time it can create a small "hot spot" in your engine potentiallly causing detonation.

again im not knocking the use of it, i think its great. But with so many people having problems with meth injection, im certain a lot of these have this problem, they just need to be informed and take the appropiate precautions is all im saying.

You can't compare hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid, HCl, etc.) to methanol. Totally different worlds. One is an acid, the other is an alcohol. Hydrochloric acid will do the same to most metals. Methanol is not that corrosive. Let me give you an example... carbon steel, cast steel, iron, etc. will corrode in ambient conditions if not coated. Look at your exhaust manifold (assuming it's stock). See the rust? See how it corrodes? Yet, they still make the exaust manifold out of iron, and it lasts a long, long time. Put that in hydrochloric acid and it'll be gone, just like aluminum. No worries about the aluminum in your intake tract being exposed to methanol. Yes, there's a corrosion rate, but all things considered, it won't corrode through for the life of the car, just like your rusty exhaust manifold. You're making a mountain out of a ant hill.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

dude.... I just read some more of your posts in other threads.... I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now it's obvious you don't have a clue.

methonal???? I thought it was a typo at first, but you keep spelling it that way.
hydrochloride???? How does that relate to methanol? Where's the chlorine come from? It has absolutely no relation to the topic at hand.

And it's obvious you have no direct experience with meth injection.

Any opinion you share on meth injection should immediately go the trash file.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowCar
cathodic/sacrificial protection...they bolt chunks of aluminum/zinc/magnesium alloy to ships to protect the steel
We use zinc on the hull and in heat exchangers that have sea water flowing through them. It is wierd how fast they wear out sometimes.

I am an Engineer in the Navy and have to replace these damn thing all the time.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

oh get a grip, yes its methanol, so i spelled it wrong. and no i dont have experience with meth injection, im researching it instead of jumping blind like most guys on here who just listen to people without being smart and doing the research. you wanna judge me from spelling/mistype on the internet. go ahead. Dont change the fact that im a educated Control Engineer in the Power Industry!
and that hydro. example was just to show that it dont take nothing but a nick for a chemical reaction to have a huge affect, I did not say anything about it being part of the process of meth injection??!

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
dude.... I just read some more of your posts in other threads.... I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, but now it's obvious you don't have a clue.

methonal???? I thought it was a typo at first, but you keep spelling it that way.
hydrochloride???? How does that relate to methanol? Where's the chlorine come from? It has absolutely no relation to the topic at hand.

And it's obvious you have no direct experience with meth injection.

Any opinion you share on meth injection should immediately go the trash file.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
We use zinc on the hull and in heat exchangers that have sea water flowing through them. It is wierd how fast they wear out sometimes.

I am an Engineer in the Navy and have to replace these damn thing all the time.
did u guys ever try the electronic way...impressed current cathodic protection?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

we use pure methanol and dry ice to "shrink" components in the aviation industry. mostly for bearing installation. no serious problems i've ever heard of. and we're crazy paranoid about corrosion. can't pull over at 5000 feet. lmao
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not judging you, just your opinion. I think your opinion on methanol corrosion is way off. It's not an issue if your setup is proper.

And you're doing more than simple research, you're trying to convince people straight methanol injection is corrosive and will lead to issues. You've said this in multiple threads. You even throw out your pedigree (HPLC experience, Control Engineer, etc.) to try and make your point more believable. Regardless of your experience and education, methanol injection isn't a corrosion issue when done right.

oh get a grip, yes its methanol, so i spelled it wrong. and no i dont have experience with meth injection, im researching it instead of jumping blind like most guys on here who just listen to people without being smart and doing the research. you wanna judge me from spelling/mistype on the internet. go ahead. Dont change the fact that im a educated Control Engineer in the Power Industry!
and that hydro. example was just to show that it dont take nothing but a nick for a chemical reaction to have a huge affect, I did not say anything about it being part of the process of meth injection??!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowCar
did u guys ever try the electronic way...impressed current cathodic protection?
I think we use electronic protection on the main shafting.
I dont mess with that stuff though, electricians deal with that.

Quick Reply: meth corrosive to aluminum