Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

meth corrosive to aluminum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm assuming you guys are talking about 100% methanol, or 50/50 mix? Should one be worried about using a 50/50 mix?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:22 PM
Account Disabled

im done here, not worth the time with kids games, more important things to do.
Like a person stranded on the road, its better to just drive on by cause its not worth the trouble!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the OP is so worried about it, just do ethanol injection instead. Ethanol doesn't promote corrosion of aluminum.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker
I'm assuming you guys are talking about 100% methanol, or 50/50 mix? Should one be worried about using a 50/50 mix?
50/50 wouldn't be as bad as straight 100% meth, but there really isn't a need to worry about either. Keep in mind, most research papers and wikipedia are going to be talking about meth and aluminum solely. The gas that your car runs off of will be left out of that equation. So even those who run 100% meth injection, still don't run 100% meth as the only fuel source, it's supplemental to the gasoline in your tank.

Slowcar has posted some very good links to video that show a good meth spray vs. a bad meth spray. The bad spray sorta dribbles afterwards, and I can see how some methanol would pool in your intake piping and possibly intake manifold. But for a very, very short time only. The intake manifold runs relatively hot, as it absorbs a lot of the heat off the head. Any meth that tries to pool is going to be vaporized lickity split. Your intake pipes will run cooler, but there is still enough underhood heat and major airflow through your pipes to vaporize any meth and send it on it's way through the engine. That small dribble from some meth systems after they spray just won't be around long enough to cause any corrosion issues.

Some people have mounted their spray nozzle into the intake piping at a lower point than their storage bottle, and have experienced draining the meth into the intake piping and it sits overnight. If this happens, you don't need to worry about corrosion, you'll have bigger things to worry about when you try to start the car.

But either of these issues can be avoided with a good system and proper installation.

Who blasts up their driveway under full boost and meth spraying, just to immediately shut their car down when they come to a screeching halt? I mean it's simple car maintenance to let the turbo cool a little after you've been hard on the car and in boost. So you'll either cruise under light load or let the car idle for awhile right? Well, that same habit will clear any meth pools that could have formed in your intake tract. Another way to look at it.... I drive about 1.5 hrs to get to and from work. I spray meth at anything over about 10#'s of boost. My meth light may be one for a full minute on an average day, 2 minutes tops if I'm really driving like an a$$. The other 88 minutes of engine run time is purging out any possible leftover meth from the previous spray episode.

Yes, meth is corrosive to aluminum, but it's a slow corrosion rate to begin with. Couple that with the minimal amount of time that meth is actually being sprayed or possibly in contact on aluminum parts while you drive, and it's really not an issue at all.

We're all here because we have an addiction to hp. Meth lets you run insane boost on pump gas. In the big scheme of things, corrosion is a very minor issue when considering everything else that's going on in your max'ed out setup. Obviously none of us want any "extra" issues, but corrosion from meth just shouldn't even be on the radar screen. All in my opinion of course.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for that great explanation. Sums up a lot of things.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

and

Originally Posted by SlowCar

btw i'm still alive and foil is soaking away
are you using an open container like an intake system or a close container?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

done in a pyrex beaker with a petri dish over it, not well sealed due to the "beak"
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to see this done in an open container like an intake pipe. I've opened mine up to do maintenance and saw no signs of corrosion after about 2 years and 100 gals of meth.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I too prefer my ethanol in an open container.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Methonol is worse on your wallet/Motor. I would seriously not want to run Meth, as it will wash out the cylinders of the protective coating of the oil, and lead to PREMATURE wear of your motor, and it's components. The benefits vs gains is NOT worth it in the long run. I dumped my kit, AMS doesn't sell them anymore to my knowledge, and there must be a good reason for that. Use race gas, save your motor! If the meth washes past the rings, it sits in, and mixes with the oil. that is not a good lubricant, and can lead to spinning rod bearings as well. (Unless you change your oil alot). Lets not even mention what would happen if your system fails at WOT.

Anyway, in my opinion, and mine alone?, I would not run meth, as it will sneak up and bite you and your wallet sooner or later. Just my Dad to Son chat, now go to your room, and research what I just said.

Methanol will Corrode your finances and your piece of mind faster then it will the lines in your car!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Aug 29, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

hey smoked u just made me mad now i dont want to buy my aquamist kit bad juju
Old Aug 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jhanksevo
hey smoked u just made me mad now i dont want to buy my aquamist kit bad juju
I am not saying NOT to use meth, I just said why I don't use it anymore. Research the pro's/cons. who blew up while running meth, etc... Sorry about the juju. Thank me later.

Here is my juju. Read and learn. Take care.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=94awdcoupe
Old Aug 29, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

honing marks mean nothing we never did get the piston to cylinder wall clearance. that second engine looks like it was never broken in properly.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

not to mention gasoline is great at cutting that protective oil coating as well, and will do the same thing as meth does in the crankcase. Running a motor too rich will "wash" the cylinder walls also. Is it the meth or is it the tune on meth?

Meth system failure is a completely different issue, and is a real consideration, but the safegaurds these days (especially the HFS-5 system) practically make these a thing of the past.

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Methonol is worse on your wallet/Motor. I would seriously not want to run Meth, as it will wash out the cylinders of the protective coating of the oil, and lead to PREMATURE wear of your motor, and it's components. The benefits vs gains is NOT worth it in the long run. I dumped my kit, AMS doesn't sell them anymore to my knowledge, and there must be a good reason for that. Use race gas, save your motor! If the meth washes past the rings, it sits in, and mixes with the oil. that is not a good lubricant, and can lead to spinning rod bearings as well. (Unless you change your oil alot). Lets not even mention what would happen if your system fails at WOT.

Anyway, in my opinion, and mine alone?, I would not run meth, as it will sneak up and bite you and your wallet sooner or later. Just my Dad to Son chat, now go to your room, and research what I just said.

Methanol will Corrode your finances and your piece of mind faster then it will the lines in your car!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

You guys have good points, I just feel safer with Racegas/pumpgas, that's all. Would meth prematurely wear out a motor, compared to NOT running meth? I say yes, but what do I know? LOL. I just stated be careful, research, then make an educated descision on Meth, like I did.

Quick Reply: meth corrosive to aluminum