Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Discussion of WAI trigger point

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discussion of WAI trigger point

I have started playing around with my trigger point on my HFS-5.

I found that triggering at 3-5 psi would really slow my spool up. It seems the meth at such low boost level lowers the EGT's so much that it hurts the spool up.

I have since raised my trigger point to 18psi, and my spool up is the same it has always been.

Some people have mentioned that you can spray meth at 3-5 psi but you must adjust the timing accordingly. Some say advancing the timing will help spool while others say retarding the timing significantly will increase the EGT. The overall goal would be to spray the meth at an earlier point (3-5 psi) and use tunning to achieve a spoolup faster than you would be able to do without meth.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Alex, r u triggering by %IDC or by map ?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
Former Sponsor

It is important to match the restrictor to flow on the HFS-5 to avoid over-injection at low IDC
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I was not using a restrictor when I was first testing the trigger point, this could be why I saw a noticeable slow in spool up. I will try it again with the restrictor in place although I think it can be definitively said that if you do not tune your spool up area to take advantage of meth, then spraying it down low will cool your EGT's and delay spool. I will have to try spraying low and advancing timing to see how that does.

I have triggered off both MAP and PWM, I am currently using PWM and triggering around 40% duty cycle - which correlates to around 18-20 psi.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I'm triggering off MAP, at 10psi with a wastegate spring of 14#'s. This is on a 50 trim, so spool is a bit slower than a stock turbo, but once 10#'s is made, 14#'s comes awfully quick. After reading a different thread (can't remember which one), I was confused about which pinout to use for the failsafe (I'm using a Mac valve for boost cut failsafe). There was concern that pin 9/10 (switched once inside flow window) wouldn't pick up flow measurement quick enough to keep the failsafe from activating, yet pin 11/12 (always on till outside failsafe window) has a two sec. delay before envoking failsafe?????

Dudical26, I know this was a concern of yours because it was your question Anyway, on pin 9/10, my Mac valve is doing just what it's supposed to do, once 10#'s is reached, it swaps to port 1 (per Abner's post) instead of port 3, and the wastegate never bleeds boost. Spool is just as quick as normal.

I was concerned about setting the onset of WAI so close to the wastegate spring pressure, with the idea that you would never register enough flow QUICK enough to get you in the window before the failsafe kicked in. But I'm here to tell you, Aquamist has designed a system in the HFS-5 that is not lazy by any means! This system responds very quickly. The HSV and flow sensor do an excellent job of controlling flow and measuring flow with no lag at all It's damn near instantaneous. I'm not throwing any stones at previous versions of the Aquamist system, I have'nt worked with any, but coming from an AMS alky kit (alkycontrol), I can tell you this system is worth every penny of control you get. It's like comparing a smart bomb to a dumb bomb, you don't want your engine to get caught up in the collateral damage

When you can blow a motor in 1/10th's of a second, the HFS-5 is the way to go.

This response probably doesn't address your original question, So on to the question...

I'm using meth/water to ward off detonation from high boost and excessive cylinder pressures that are associated with it. Not sure what benefits could be achieved from spraying as low as 3-5#'s, conditions should be fairly tame at that boost and not needed, and how to take advantage of alky/water injection at these boost levels seems like diminishing returns. Better to save it for when it's needed in my way of thinking.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with your last paragraph. Initially it was coming on at around 5psi and the juices were flowing way too early. It now flows closer to 10psi and I think its perfect
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Since the introduction of the HFS-xx, we have spend a great deal of time improving the flow sensor response time as well as the range. For this reason, all system sold after June had the 2s delay removed, now down to 0.8 second.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

The 2 second delay can seem bad at first, but after talking at length with Richard, I can see why it was there in the first place. It can be helpful if you want to trigger your turn on point above your wastegate pressure.

My wastegate is stock yet I trigger at 18 psi, I am able to do this because of the 2 second delay that is built into the system. This delay only occurs during the time the kit first turn on. Once it is on, the delay is no longer 2 seconds if a failure would occur.

I have tested different setups and had the failsafe trigger to early, but fortunately I do not have a problem with this now. Currently my choice for trigger point is based solely on quick spool up and is not influenced at all by concerns of whether or not the failsafe will wrongly step in.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

I typically never started meth before 15psi on my evo for the same thing you described...the car just wouldn't spool at all even with a tme...once you raised it spool was lightning fast...