Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Another Partial HSF-5 Install w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loving the idea of that gauge setup. I will be going to lowes tonight and getting some plastic cut for a custom solution also will post pics of it with the DDS3
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Did u get the pm dubbleugly01
Old Nov 6, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jhanksevo
Did u get the pm dubbleugly01
yes, you can by the Lucite in varying sizes, and you'll want to cut it yourself since the ashtray isn't really a perfect rectangle, it bows a bit.

You can get a 2'x2' square of Lucite for about $10 if I recall correctly.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoTio
^^^
Yes, behind the intake on the firewall is a perfect place to mount your HVS and Flow Meter. I've had mine mounted there on my 2D system since 2004 and it's still working like a champ.
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
Took everyone's advice and did exactly that. Just too much heat up by the valve cover.
FYI, I mounted mine right under the center of the STB behind the intake manifold and it turned out to be too hot, so that location was actually not a good place on my car. EvoTio, did you run your car on any road courses?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
FYI, I mounted mine right under the center of the STB and it turned out to be too hot, so this location is actually not a good place for hard track usage.
I mounted mine about 1/2 way down the firewall. A good 1' from the STB, if not more. So far so good. The lower the better from a cooling standpoint.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, I mounted mine right under the center of the STB behind the intake manifold and it turned out to be too hot, so that location was actually not a good place on my car. EvoTio, did you run your car on any road courses?
No, I have not run any road courses yet. I've just not have had any issues with my HSV for over 3 years of weekly drag races and hard daily driving. The same HSV was used on my Talon previously for another couple of years. I know that running the road courses can generate some serious heat, but I believe that the engine compartment is a hostile environment in general. If the heat issue seems to be a problem, I would mount your HSV in the passenger compartment. In my previous V-8 cars, I used to have frequent ignition failures with my MSD boxes in the engine compartment. Once I relocated the MSD box in the passenger compartment, I never had a problem again.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Mine was fine on the street. It was only at the track that I had problems, and even then, only when I started running 10/10ths in competition. In an HPDE/practice environment it was fine.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Mine was fine on the street. It was only at the track that I had problems, and even then, only when I started running 10/10ths in competition. In an HPDE/practice environment it was fine.
So what was actually happening with your HSV? Was it not working properly when it you were running your road events due to the heat? Just curious.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoTio
So what was actually happening with your HSV? Was it not working properly when it you were running your road events due to the heat? Just curious.
It started working intermittently and then stopped altogether. Afterward I found that the rubber-like sealant had partially melted off as well. I am sending it back to Richard, who will take a look at it as well.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

It started working intermittently and then stopped altogether. Afterward I found that the rubber-like sealant had partially melted off as well. I am sending it back to Richard, who will take a look at it as well.
Well, I see why you're concerned about the heat. It will be interesting to see if Richard feels that it's failure was caused by excessive heat. I would definitely mount your new HSV in the passenger compartment if the heat caused it's failure. When I had my pressure switch mounted in a very hot area of my Talon's engine compartment, I used to get inconsistant water injection turn on points. I relocated the switch inside the passenger compartment and the problem was solved.