Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Meth/Water

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth/Water

Is tuning necessary for a water/meth setup???
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:43 AM

My guy at Crazy House Customs says yes and you should talk to your tuner to see what mix he thinks is best before installing to get the most out of it. He is in NJ
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:45 AM

You won't make any power if you don't tune for it in fact you will lose power without a tune.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Simply adding methanol to the current setup should make a little power without tuning ( it has a higher octane rating). If it causes you to run pig rich because you are jetting a decent amount without a tune and wash out your oil... That is a different story.

It is best to get a tune to maximize power gains while keeping the car running at desired afr/timing.

You can drive around with the system off while you are on your way to get a tune.

What WMI system are you running? What size and how many jets did you choose? Do you have an afr gauge?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:35 AM

High octane does not make more power this is a misconception, higher octane ratings just allow you to tune more aggressively because they are less prone to knock. If the tune was on the ragged edge where knock was induced, allowing the timing to drop then it could be beneficial. Simply adding more of any fuel will reduce power on an already properly running vehicle. Even the lower AIT's the water/meth injection will allow wi be outweighed by the richening of the fuel mixture.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:47 PM

OK thanks i'll look into it.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LStillman
High octane does not make more power this is a misconception, higher octane ratings just allow you to tune more aggressively because they are less prone to knock. If the tune was on the ragged edge where knock was induced, allowing the timing to drop then it could be beneficial. Simply adding more of any fuel will reduce power on an already properly running vehicle. Even the lower AIT's the water/meth injection will allow wi be outweighed by the richening of the fuel mixture.
I have a couple of VD runs that show definite gains. My afr was around 10. I will see if I can pull up more info. Methanol has more oxygen in it. Like race gas there will be a small gain without tuning. With tuning the greatest gains would be found though obviously.

I miss spoke saying octane rating when I was meaning to refer to oxygen content.

Last edited by mt057; Apr 4, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 07:12 AM

yes it is very required!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt057
I I will see if I can pull up more info. Methanol has more oxygen in it. .
That's rite
Methanol has higher C - H ratio compared to other fuels. Thats why it burns stoich with greater quantity of fuel respectively. Relative octane just happens to be high due to physical characteristics. In fact lower octane fuels tend to make more HP. Nitro has octane of like nothing.

The reason methanol burns more powerful ly is because it burns so damn fast from ignition to CO2, even when slightly over or under rich, and when timed precisely you can target more of the combustion near the sweet spot.

Add water and power is lost. Ethanol is like its weaker sister

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Oct 1, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:07 PM

No. I went two years of with 1-2.5 gph progressively spraying in a 660cc motor. Did I lose power, sometimes yes. Was I required to tune for it? I guess no explosions, metal shavings, sounds, or anything else proves that it won't spontaneously combust when extra fuel is injected.