Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Las Vegas smog question...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas smog question...

I'm moving to Vegas in a few months (currently reside in socal) and am getting worried about smog. A couple of my cars will have to get tested soon. And only two of the cars in my sig will pass in socal. How do they test in LV? Any "creative" ways around it? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to talk publicly...
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:18 PM

don't quote me on this but i've heard of some smog shops in the veags area that if you pay them more they will pass your car. But the official answer is NO SMOG NO REGISTRATION, i think you are required to have a cat and the rest of the smog required equipment on your car. I hope some of the other vegas drivers can correct me if im wrong i've only lived here about year and the above info was what was told to me.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

You will pass smog as long as you do not have a check engine light being thrown. That is, unless you get someone who decides to do a visual inspection on your car and sees you have a test pipe.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:17 PM

hmm if thats the case a couple of my friends just got smoged he had no cel, but he has zero cats on his car. yeeeeeeeeah he failed both of them wtih 2007 sti's. So i dont know but i'm ditching my my test pipe for a hfc and not even risk the chance. Also we have a air guard guy who is north town PD he was saying your car needs to be 100% compliant with the smog laws if you are caught its a heavy fine he also did say there is some cops not many who will look under the car if your pulled over for speeding. Just fyi not trying to prove anyone wrong just going on what i've been told.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Just got my smog done this afternoon and passed with my test pipe and hks hi-power exhaust with tune. Just pulled up to the nearest smog shack I was close to at the time.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:36 PM

like i said i dunnoe man..at this point dont know what to think somesay they pass others like my friends fail so yeah but me personally. seeing as i never hit the track i think i can do with out my test pipe and go with a high flow cat better safe then sorry but thats just me.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it usually works with me but this year i am running e85 . i hope that doesnt trigger some kind of red light on the machine.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not like the machine is going to know what fuel youre running bro haha

the alcohol-ish smell out your exhaust might be noticed though haha
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:43 PM

the machine hates e85 your screwed... j/k
Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:06 AM

If you fail, what happens? Do you just have to get another test till you pass?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 08:21 AM

^^^ yeah, the dmv can give you a temp tag for 30days or somthing like that until you pass. but i doubt our smog laws here are more strict than cali So if your passing smog there you should pass here and have nothing to worry about
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by hydroshock
^^^ yeah, the dmv can give you a temp tag for 30days or somthing like that until you pass. but i doubt our smog laws here are more strict than cali So if your passing smog there you should pass here and have nothing to worry about
got it. that's not too bad if you don't get sent to the state ref. or something.
and i don't pass in cali haha i just know people
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:33 PM

^^^ what ever works man, but im just paranoid of getting fined or losing registration so i'm playing it safe CYA bro CYA
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:21 PM

they usually charge $80 if it dosent pass....not everywere though..but mine passed with test pipe and hks exhaust
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:53 AM

Wow that's alot of money for a smog. I already ordered my hi-flow cat. The noise and smell is killing me. The hks tooo loud w/ manifold, dp, test pipe, I had no say I bought the car like that. Was enjoying it for awhile but the smell and noise finally caught up.

Quick Reply: Las Vegas smog question...