Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

***Official UT Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the time...mixed with water, I've never tried it in the fuel tank though.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by fastyouth1313
Anybody ever used HEET fuel additive?
i have in my DD not the evo, all it is is methanol which when added to water abosrbs it. theres no performance to be gained by adding a bottle to your tank. but if you suspect water in your fuel it will remove it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocBoz
i have in my DD not the evo, all it is is methanol which when added to water abosrbs it. theres no performance to be gained by adding a bottle to your tank. but if you suspect water in your fuel it will remove it.
I'm thinking I had some codinsation build up in it from switching fuel pumps and leaving the tank open for a while, while I was doing it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:36 PM

**sold**

Last edited by stowasaurus; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:27 PM

I am looking for an ix front bumper and rims/wheels for sale in SLC UT area might even travel a little to get a nice deal

I have a replica ix front bumper thats one piece (front bumper and lip) that i have never test fitted or anything, i think i just want to go with a regular ix front bumper

pm with price offer or if you have a oem ix bumper (i have to paint anyways) or rims.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:13 AM

This may be a strange request seeing as I haven't really posted in these parts before but is there anyone in the Salt Lake City area who knows a lot about evos that would be willing to come take a look at one with me within the next few days. I have limited knowledge about them and am about to buy one and would like to just be sure everything is running smoothly.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deanjobs666
This may be a strange request seeing as I haven't really posted in these parts before but is there anyone in the Salt Lake City area who knows a lot about evos that would be willing to come take a look at one with me within the next few days. I have limited knowledge about them and am about to buy one and would like to just be sure everything is running smoothly.
Good move ...

Evos come in all sorts of selling flavors.
You probably already know this, I hope, going in...
Being fairly inexpensive relative to performance there are the:
Broken Beater Evos
Gangsta Running Evos
Stock Fisher Price RacerBoi Evos
Big Turbo and Small Clutch Evos
Don't Ask Me What Mods I Sort of Did Evos
Just Wanna Go Fast Evos
Rims and Tires Evos
Mechanic SCCA Evos
Put Coilovers on it Evos
Collector Item Gonna Sell It with Stock Parts Maybe Evos
and
Genuine Evos

If there are a few parts to look forward to checking, is the drive train.
Those who have records of choosing and putting in good quality drive train oils, typically have a sound knowledge of what it takes to keep this AWD beast happy.

From there normal dents and dings, and why. Another aspect is alignment. Those that know alignments and how it affects the Evo is a good sign they kept the car in good running condition.

The final is of course the motor. Both Evo motors are very stout, but only if you really know what you're doing. I'd first look for signs of hack wiring to boost performance. Two friends of mine had hack boost controller, and stereo wiring jobs. Both ended up with tons of problems until proper connectors / aka soldering were used.

Many many disagree, but penetration crimp connectors (aka blades) are totally unacceptable in this platform and this area of the world. Too much heat cycling, dry air, salt corrosion, bad contact manufacturing lead to intermittent "things" happening.

Super big turbos, super big cams, hackjob exhausts, mainly the manifolds are sure signs somebody didn't get what they wanted out of the Evo are looking for the next victim car, to thrash on. The Evo is stout as sedans go, but requires a bit of knowledge finesse to put the car in its best mode. Its not like a big bodied Camaro.

I don't worry too much about underbody scrapes unless there are bends. The streets of Utah are hell enough, and although a pain, many under body items can be replaced fairily easily.

Genuine Evos I would of course pay KBB for. Anything else from the list, and I would dicker hard; but don't be a dick about it.

Enjoy! Its a fun platform!

~j.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:17 PM

Hey guys! So, I got rear ended about a week ago. Stupid minivan was being careless during a recent snowstorm. Luckily the damage was pretty minor. Just needed a new bumper cover, crash beam, and mounting brackets for it. The exhaust tip got bunged up too. They welded a new tip on the muffler, but it looks funny to me. I think it's smaller than stock. Does anybody know what the dimensions of the stock evo 8 exhaust tip is? If they put the wrong one on, I'll take it back and get the right one. If you have an evo 8 with the stock exhaust, I would really appreciate if you could measure it for me! I'm looking for the outside diameter. Thanks guys!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aklittleman
Hey guys! So, I got rear ended about a week ago. Stupid minivan was being careless during a recent snowstorm. Luckily the damage was pretty minor. Just needed a new bumper cover, crash beam, and mounting brackets for it. The exhaust tip got bunged up too. They welded a new tip on the muffler, but it looks funny to me. I think it's smaller than stock. Does anybody know what the dimensions of the stock evo 8 exhaust tip is? If they put the wrong one on, I'll take it back and get the right one. If you have an evo 8 with the stock exhaust, I would really appreciate if you could measure it for me! I'm looking for the outside diameter. Thanks guys!
Get a JDM rear bumper! Also I have a new in box demonwerkz crash beam that fits both USDM and JDM bumpers that I can sell to you for $100 (cost me $300) if you haven't bought a crash beam yet.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aklittleman
Wow havent seen you on here in a while lol. That sucks and I wish someone would cut in front of me so I could hit them and it be there fault. I want the front of my DD redone but dont want to pay for it lol. Anyways if you are looking for a JDM rear bumper a friend of mine has a brand new one that he's selling since he doesn't need it anymore. I beleive its still in the box too. As for stock evo exhaust size I believe it 96mm or 106mm tip. Dont remember for sure off of the top of my head, but it was very close to 4".

Originally Posted by gypsy
Get a JDM rear bumper! Also I have a new in box demonwerkz crash beam that fits both USDM and JDM bumpers that I can sell to you for $100 (cost me $300) if you haven't bought a crash beam yet.
I would be interested in that bumper beam for my JDM rear if no one else wants it :-) I should probably check to see if mine already has one or not though ;-)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's been awhile! I went and got married. Haha! Life gets busier after marriage. On the plus side, my wife is in love with the evo and does not ever want me to sell it!! SCORE!!!

I wish I would have posted on here before I got everything repaired!! That would have been amazing to get the JDM Rear and crash bar! I'll know better next time....although my fingers are crossed it never happens again!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I went and measured my stock exhaust tip for you. It came out close to 4.25"
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D-Mon3y69
I went and measured my stock exhaust tip for you. It came out close to 4.25"
So what were the results of your engine?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution IVGSR
I would be interested in that bumper beam for my JDM rear if no one else wants it :-) I should probably check to see if mine already has one or not though ;-)
For sure, I was going to put it on but sold the evo so it's just collecting dust. Do you still have my number?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

So I went and discovered my spark plug cover was broke. Went and took the cover off and the spark plug for cylinder 3 was just sitting in the coil pack and not attached to the head. Couldn't pull it out because its attached to cylinder 2 where it is bolted down. So I unbolted the coil pack from the second cylinder. Looked at the lose spark plug and it was perfectly fine. All the threads where there and it didn't look like it was hit by the piston or anything. Went and put it back in and made sure to torque all of the plugs. Started it up and now it works fine So I'm guessing the loud noise I was hearing was the actual combustion of the fuel. The ignition would blow the spark plug out of the cylinder. When it fell back in it would ignite it the next time. The plug didn't get blown into the engine bay because the third plug is attached to the coil pack bolted down on cylinder two. Kinda weird but the best possible out come for sure.

Quick Reply: ***Official UT Chat Thread***