Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Moving from IN to CA. Big headache.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zhang695
1. Could you teach me how could a ref find out I have after market cam, springs and retainers? Do they disassemble the motor?

Here is a link: http://www.norcalevo.net/threads/330...al-Exempt-mods

Is the post true that cam, retainers and springs are exempt or I can install them stealthily? Is there a way I could prevent a ref from finding them?
So, I'm not going to tell you how to break the law, but as far as I'm aware CA state referees do not disassemble your car at any point during the inspection process.

They will put it on a lift and inspect the car underneath with a flashlight.

2. How about the injectors and the fuel pump? Could you teach me how will a ref find them and what can I do to prevent him from finding them?
A quick visual inspection will reveal aftermarket injectors. A ref will have no idea if your noisy fuel pump is aftermarket or OEM.

3. I'm just a student and I don't have money to buy a stock exhaust. But I have done a lot of research. I saw some people on Evom said car back exhaust has nothing to do with the emission so it should be exempt. Also I found something on DMV website:
"V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment."

So could I just buy a silencer to fix my catback exhaust issue?
You're not listening to what I told you in my previous PM. Unless it has a CARB E.O. number associated with the part that you can present to a referee or law enforcement it is NOT LEGAL FOR ROAD/HIGHWAY USE in the state of California. Period.

4. Could you teach me what is wrong with the 3" TB exhaust? Just because of the test pipe? Hp could you teach me how to fix it?
The catalytic converter is one of the most important pieces of emissions equipment on the car. A down pipe is considered enough of a modification to not be considered smog legal to obtain a CARB E.O. number.

5. Could you teach me what is wrong with the dual stage boost controller and how could I fix it?
Fix it? Remove it. It messes with the air/fuel ratio, which will change the amount of emissions and as such is not legal for use on road/highway.

Does this make sense? It's not rocket science, I gave you a link to the state database that lists parts legal for use. Remember, even with all CARB exempt parts, you could still fail the sniffer/rollers if your cams are too big, your tune isn't conservative or your catalytic converter is failing.

Good luck.

Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread makes me think twice about moving to LA after college...
Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

California is a hell whole do not move here. I'm out as soon as I can get what I paid for my house. Ya there are nice beaches in socal and nor cal has some senic stuff but everything else sucks and most people do to. Crap place to work or own a business. You will also need to make $150k to support a family comfortably in a nice town and expect 3/4 of that to be your house payment. Anyways that's my rant. Best thing to do would be to have a relative register the car in Indiana, if you get pulled over the car won't be registered to you and the cops have no rights to make you change anything to comply to state laws if the car is not "yours".
Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
Best thing to do would be to have a relative register the car in Indiana, if you get pulled over the car won't be registered to you and the cops have no rights to make you change anything to comply to state laws if the car is not "yours".
That's what I used to think as well, but the OP is reporting that people are being cited by CHP and fined $300 for residing in CA with an out of state vehicle. I just assumed it was another bureaucratic cash grab by the state.

Old Aug 3, 2013, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

The more I hear about how the government in california is the more the song California songs has new meaning to me. I'm sure the people are cool but the way the state gov is just would tick me off. They are fine with a modified harley and all the big shops modifying everything there but they need to pick on some college kids for having a play toy. Proof that in california your only allowed to modify stuff to your liking if your rich.

So OP are you selling the car? Setting it back up close to stock appearing? Not move to California? It doesn't seem you have alot of choices.
I see purchases of stock pieces being installed back on your car in the near future.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
That's what I used to think as well, but the OP is reporting that people are being cited by CHP and fined $300 for residing in CA with an out of state vehicle. I just assumed it was another bureaucratic cash grab by the state.

This is true, but if the car is not in your name they cannot touch you.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Ah, good to know.

OP might want to know this.

Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:36 AM

I'm trying to figure out why your car would need to be checked by a referee? I just brought my car into California from Texas in February and when I brought it in I got my car "smogged". The only thing that the DMV checked was that at least 2 VIN numbers on my car matched. I handed them my smog paperwork and proof of insurance and I was good to go.

I think your car would only get checked by a ref if you got pulled over for a ticket and they asked you to pop your hood. Thats a different story. But just registering it in Cali shouldn't be as big of a hassel as everyone is making it seem.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashleymiche
I'm trying to figure out why your car would need to be checked by a referee? I just brought my car into California from Texas in February and when I brought it in I got my car "smogged". The only thing that the DMV checked was that at least 2 VIN numbers on my car matched. I handed them my smog paperwork and proof of insurance and I was good to go.

I think your car would only get checked by a ref if you got pulled over for a ticket and they asked you to pop your hood. Thats a different story. But just registering it in Cali shouldn't be as big of a hassel as everyone is making it seem.
Interesting. That's not a bad idea. The actual process says to take the car to the DMV first, which will direct you to either a ref or smog. Maybe I'll try to get smogged first (hopefully passing), mention it to the DMV agent, who I'll cross my fingers doesn't send me to a ref.

I'm nearly positive I can pass smog, but an in-depth visual would catch my tunable (but stock-appearing) cat-back, cut vacuum lines for a boost gauge, and my intercooler.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by ashleymiche

The issue is when the car is inspected at the DMV. If the employee sees something that's not OEM there is a chance you will be sent to the ref.

In this case I think you were lucky, got a lazy employee (they are state employed after all) or one that didn't care.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golgo13

The issue is when the car is inspected at the DMV. If the employee sees something that's not OEM there is a chance you will be sent to the ref.

In this case I think you were lucky, got a lazy employee (they are state employed after all) or one that didn't care.
Is that what typically occurs? The DMV sees a non-stock part and sends you to the ref, even if it's exempt (like a cat-back) or has a valid CARB EO number?

Would I be better off putting the stock airbox in this weekend instead of the Injen CARB-approved intake? My catback and UICP look stock, so they'd probably go unnoticed. The intake is the only thing that sticks out.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
EvoM Community Team

Try it out and see how it goes. I think it's hit or miss depending on the person doing the inspection.

To be honest, I don't know the exact criteria DMV employees are told to look for. I can say confidently what CHP and LEOs are trained to look for, however.

This is for smog, but might be a good guideline:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...ns_Part_2.html

DMV site only says:

The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV. There is no charge for the inspection.

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most smog places won't care about the visual. Just make sure it actually passes. Mine passed not long ago with the stock cat and E85
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I read that some beaches in Cali are banning Grilling/BBQ fire. They are taking are pollution uber seriously! :}
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No not BBQ^^^ bonfires LOL.

Quick Reply: Moving from IN to CA. Big headache.