Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Moving from IN to CA. Big headache.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I read that some beaches in Cali are banning Grilling/BBQ fire. They are taking are pollution uber seriously! :}
This is true, also it is illegal to install a wood burning fireplace in a home, and if you have one it is illegal to burn fires in it on a lot of days over the winter.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:18 PM

Now that I think about it, I ended up taking my car to AAA and there were all women working at the time. That's probably why it wasn't that big of a deal what my engine and everything looked like. Do you have AAA? That might be the easiest way to go. Everyone at the AAA in Aliso Viejo seems kinda lazy though so maybe I did just get lucky :P
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashleymiche
Now that I think about it, I ended up taking my car to AAA and there were all women working at the time. That's probably why it wasn't that big of a deal what my engine and everything looked like. Do you have AAA? That might be the easiest way to go. Everyone at the AAA in Aliso Viejo seems kinda lazy though so maybe I did just get lucky :P
What does AAA have to do with getting your car registered? Do they act like the DMV in CA?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I heard you can register a car to PO box in California. I also heard certain counties in California don't require you to smog test your car. If this is the case you could just get a PO box in a county that doesn't require smog testing. I'm not 100% percent sure this will work though.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:36 PM

Yeah AAA is pretty cheap (like $100/year) and gives you roadside assistance and acts like the DMV. Lines are shorter, people are less angry, and you can get your car registered/ pick up moving permits/ transfer titles/ pickup plates/ etc.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

the internet is your friend
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV. There is no charge for the inspection. For faster service, make an Appointment(s) .

AAA would be a good option.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Definitely hard for you to pass smog without a cat or a carb legal air intake.

The intercooler piping and bov will be ok if the tech is competent.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah AAA is pretty cheap (like $100/year) and gives you roadside assistance and acts like the DMV. Lines are shorter, people are less angry, and you can get your car registered/ pick up moving permits/ transfer titles/ pickup plates/ etc.
Interesting. The two previous states where I had AAA didn't have anything like DMV services in their branches. Looks like there's only a couple states where this is a thing. Pretty cool. If the website and the woman on the phone is to be believed, though, they can't do vehicles transferred into the state... only renewals.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Interesting. The two previous states where I had AAA didn't have anything like DMV services in their branches. Looks like there's only a couple states where this is a thing. Pretty cool. If the website and the woman on the phone is to be believed, though, they can't do vehicles transferred into the state... only renewals.
Interesting. Maybe it has something to do with an out of state drivers license. I just turned the Texas title into AAA with my smog papers, they checked my VIN, gave me CA plates and registration stickers and 2 weeks later I received my new title in the mail.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. Maybe it has something to do with an out of state drivers license. I just turned the Texas title into AAA with my smog papers, they checked my VIN, gave me CA plates and registration stickers and 2 weeks later I received my new title in the mail.
Or it could be the person on the phone had no idea what they were talking about... not an entirely unusual situation.

So you're saying you already had your CA license at the time? I was planning to go to the DMV (maybe AAA, now) with smog already performed, as you did, hopefully avoiding a ref. I'm certain it'll pass smog, but a scrutinizing visual inspection could turn up some stuff.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:41 AM

I did have my CA license at the time.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

So I tried this today. If you have any out-of-state business, you cannot have it performed at AAA. This includes an out-of-state to CA title transfer, or registration of a car previously registered in another state. You must go to the DMV.

AAA said they used to be able to do this a decade or so back, but that the state no longer allows them to perform these services.

ashleymiche, I think you lucked out with your AAA employee doing something they weren't supposed to.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Sep 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:44 PM

Haven't heard from the OP for a while.. maybe he decided to move to another state. Damn smog laws in CA is a real PITA
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:29 AM

Haha I didn't check west region forum very often. Thank you guys all especially golgo13 for helping me out.

I bought the stock intake box, intake box duct, intake pipe, UICP and catalytic converter. I will contact a shop to install them and retune my car (but I cannot afford a pricey labor). I will keep you guys updated.